Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case damage with Dillon 550b

Feedback Score

Case damage with Dillon 550b

Hi,
    I am using a Dillon 550 press to reload. I am periodically getting some damage to the top of the case during the powder drop stage. It does not seem to be brass manufacturer specific and I had no problems sizing. When this happens the powder funnel does not seal all the way I have small mess of powder to clean up(using Varget). The shell plate and buttons are the correct size for the .223.

Any ideas on how to adjust my setup or technique?
    Thx. b

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpw View Post
    Hi,
    I am using a Dillon 550 press to reload. I am periodically getting some damage to the top of the case during the powder drop stage. It does not seem to be brass manufacturer specific and I had no problems sizing. When this happens the powder funnel does not seal all the way I have small mess of powder to clean up(using Varget). The shell plate and buttons are the correct size for the .223.

Any ideas on how to adjust my setup or technique?
    Thx. b
    I was having the SAME problem! Make sure your shell plate is tight enough to get the shell straight up into the powder drop, but NOT so much that you can't get it to index. After I did this, no more issues...

Mace
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Feedback Score
    I'm sure you are, but just to get one possibility out of the way, ensure you are using the correct powder funnel for .223.

Next, ensure powder die/funnel is adjusted to proper depth. You may have it set too deep. Back things out and adjust for vase mouth contact against the funnel when the shellplate stops against the bottom of one of the other dies (the poder die may not contact the shellplate; I'm not sure if it's necessary for it to do so. I believe all that's needed is for the case mouth to seal against the abse of the funnel -- I have a 550 but I'm using Lee dies so I'm just making a SWAG about how to set up Dillon's powder die). Then adjust down until mouth damage ceases and firm enough seal is established.

Make sure you pause at the top of the stroke to allow the powder charge to dump into the case. Varget, being extruded, can bridge and hang at the mouth.

I recall one post on another board where the reloader polished the bejusus out of his hopper and die. Charge weight consistency improved and brdiging was reduced.

Just some ideas to consider.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tightened the shell plate holder a bit more and "rattled" the case around and there is noticeably less play. I also reset the powder die and will do another run today. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
    b

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    I was having the SAME problem! Make sure your shell plate is tight enough to get the shell straight up into the powder drop, but NOT so much that you can't get it to index. After I did this, no more issues...

Mace
    +1
    The case mouth can catch on the powder funnel if the case is to wobbly.

Feedback Score
    Wow, I came in here to post my question and here it is!

I have the same problem but it's always in the same location:
    ====================================================
    I have a problem with my 550B. I’m only loading .223 Rem/5.56 at this time on the press. I am getting about 10% of the case mouths crushed at the powder station. This ALWAYS happens to the inside of the case relative to the shell plate. Or stated another way, the crushed portion of the case mouth is ALWAYS facing the axle of the shell plate.

I have adjusted the powder dropping station up and up and up. I can still actuate the powder bar.

Any ideas?

Other than that the press works great, but this one issue is slowing me down. I have to keep and eye on this stage and pull the case before I seat a bullet.

I hope you guys can help me out.
    ======================================

I hope to get an answer to my question from Dillon on Monday. I'll post what they tell me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    When I used to reload .40 S&W sometime about 1-2 pieces out of 100 of brass would get damaged while reloading.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In addition to the above suggestions.... are you going nice and slow?

Don't get hung up on production speed and shit. I've gotten to where I'll visually check every powder charge before I put a bullet on top of it.

Quality over Quantity is what I've come to strive for. Even when loading bulk practice ammo.

Feedback Score
    I also tightened the shell plate to the point it would not move then backed off a little at a time until I could rotate it. (Just like the directions from Dillon said)

I also adjusted the powder die, per the instructions. Again, following to the letter the instructions from Dillon.

I just loaded over 100 rds, not one problem.

Thanks fellas.

Feedback Score

Dillon = Good Customer Service

I got a response from Dillon the other day and same - same. They said to tighten the shell plate.

It's good to go now.

I also switched out my RCBS dies for Dillon dies. I get more consistent bullet seating now. I don't understand why that is, but the COAL varies about .003" where the RCBS dies would give me up to .010".

I can't wait to get out and chrono / group this ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast