Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt CM762

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by slimedog View Post
    I've been shopping for a 308 for a while. My problem is that I'm deterred by the relatively high prices of top quality rifles like Knight's and LMT, and unimpressed by what you can get for less than $2000. So, I've been saving money and biding my time.

Last month, I handled a Colt CM762-16s at my LGS - it seemed like a decent rifle - ambi controls, nice MLOK rail, VLTOR stock, good charging handle, and Magpul Pro sights. Most important, it's a Colt with a solid BCG and a Colt 1:12 chrome lined barrel. Alas, they were asking $2300.

Around the beginning of the month, Colt finally posted a MSRP on their website - $1799. Previously, the webpage below had no pricing information. So, I went looking on gun.deals and ordered one on May 6 from Grabagun for $1580. I picked it up Saturday.

I cleaned it, installed an ALG ACT (using the longer Colt pins for their odd lower receiver) grabbed a Leupold 4-12x, some old delinked M80, a couple of boxes of Federal XM80CL, a box of Federal GM 168, and headed to the range. It ran perfectly with no problems and very consistent 3-4 o'clock ejection. It was pretty windy, so I roughly zeroed the iron sights at 50 yards, then slapped the scope on. At 50 yards from a rest, it was producing 1-1.25" 5-shot groups from the 149 grain stuff and one hole 5-shot groups from the 168s. Frankly, I was very impressed.

The rifle weighs 8lb 4oz, has a pinned & screwed gas block, a mid-length gas system, a carbine length buffer tube, and a 5 oz buffer marked "308." In spite of recent complaints on this site about Colt outsourcing/quality, the fit/finish is very good.

I'll post a full range report with pictures when we get a calm day for accuracy testing. I am extremely happy with this rifle so far.

The reason I'm posting prematurely is because the MSRP on Colt's website dropped to $1499 sometime in the last couple of days. The prices from the usual suspects on the web are in the $1400-$1600 range. While this may have been a questionable value at $2300, it's a slam dunk for $1400.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...n-161-20rd-blk

Good shooting!
    Slimdog, how gassy was the gun? Did you run suppresed? I might buy one too and put an ACOG on it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-24-19 at 00:55.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Slimdog, how gassy was the gun? Did you run suppresed? I might buy one too and put an ACOG on it.

PB
    Reports I've seen around the internet concerning the previous version (LE901/AR901) were that is was very gassy suppressed, with lots of people swapping to adjustable gas blocks.

I have been looking for a GP 308 semi to shoot without a suppressor and have been thinking long on this. Would love an LMT or KAC, but for a GP 308 out to 400-600M, those are overkill. And the CM762 IS a COLT after all and for $1300, it's hard to not consider, even with proprietary parts (which lets be honest, most 308s have some to a lot of).

Feedback Score
    For the price, the 901 is a solid carbine.
    I purchased a 901 Modular 'se' example in March for $1799.
    This price drop may help a friend decide between the Colt and the Springfield Saint victor.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Was there a change or update to the gas port size or location?

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Reports I've seen around the internet concerning the previous version (LE901/AR901) were that is was very gassy suppressed, with lots of people swapping to adjustable gas blocks.

I have been looking for a GP 308 semi to shoot without a suppressor and have been thinking long on this. Would love an LMT or KAC, but for a GP 308 out to 400-600M, those are overkill. And the CM762 IS a COLT after all and for $1300, it's hard to not consider, even with proprietary parts (which lets be honest, most 308s have some to a lot of).
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Colt CM762

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

I really like mine and shoot a lot. I had a LMT which I loved but I parted with the LMT because of the LE901. Upgraded the spring and it’s been great while shooting suppressed. I also picked up a Colt Competition AR308 receiver set from CDNN and added a Noveske SS barrel... really nice.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 09-24-19 at 00:34.

Feedback Score
    I bagged one of these too recently. It was in the wild to boot, at a local shop. Im glad I got it, as literally the over 100 sites I checked only one had one in stock.
    834ACFFA-6E26-47FE-9092-2DCDB6B564B0.jpg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah I figure they got done with a run of FMS sales & had some left over to sell us and were looking to move them along.

Feedback Score
    I'm not running suppressed, though I plan to eventually. I suspect the 3 o'clock ejection unsuppressed suggests that I'd need an adjustable block with a suppressor...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB

Feedback Score
    I did have a chance to run it at 100 yards and saw 1 to 1.25" 5-shot groups with the Federal (<2" with the Lake City M80). I think under better conditions (and if I actually took my time), this will be a MOA rifle.

When I get back in the States, I'll post some pictures and a full review. I'm really happy with it - at $1300-1400 the Colt seems like a great deal.

And thanks for the heads up on the Hogue grip, ExplorinInTheWoods. I'm kind of a Magpul MOE guy, but maybe I'll give the Hogue a try.

-SlimeDog

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I posted this in the Precision semi auto sub forum: More good info on this subject in this thread:

I recently purchased a Colt CM 6.5 CM. It has a 18 inch SS rifle length gas Sytem. Has a 17 inch very sturdy Mlok rail. The rail has a notch into the upper so it cant rotate. Full ambi controls. Colt Defense built rifle.

My two primary concerns were, is it going to be hugely over gassed ? Is it going to be accurate?

Mark started out on the gun, first round short stroked. It kept short stroking. Doing this while we are sighting in the gun. We popped on the Sig 762 can and the brass floated out to 3- 3:30 and shot like a pretty soft. We got the gun sighted in.

We shot the first group with S&B $11/box ammo and shot a clean Sub Moa group. Now I did this with a $179 Primary Arms 1-8 cheapo scope. Then we loaded up some Hornady 140grain match ammo and shot .5 Moa group.

I paid $1,400 for this gun and it impressed me beyond measure. If your looking for a price sensitive AR10, might want to give them a look. Mark may have pics to post of the targets.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast