Page 78 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: First line belts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batsoff View Post
    Just a quick question about the Infidel Belt, can someone tell me how long the Medium and Large belts are?
    From Robert at USGG:

The Medium padded Section is 36" and there is up to nine inches added adjustment straps at the front with the buckle.

The Large padded Section is 39" and there is up to nine inches of added adjustment straps at the front with the buckle.

Feedback Score
    Just a quick question about the Infidel Belt, can someone tell me how long the Medium and Large belts are?

How many inches are they if you were to lay them out and measure from one end of the belt to the other?

My waist is a 36, but I’m more likely to wear the belt lower around my hips and over my pants, which is closer to 40 inches.

Many Thanks...
    -batsoff
    US Grunt Gear recommends INFIDEL sizes: 28 to 33 Small. 34 to 39 Medium. 40 to 46 Large.

It comes with a Velcro 'inner' belt, (think riggers belt, with no buckle) It's designed to be worn with the inner belt through the belt loops, in place of your regular belt, and the Infidel over it, secured to the Velcro. Like a police duty belt, without needing belt keepers.

It isn't really designed to be worn below your trouser belt, 'cowboy' style. It won't be as secure that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    The VTAC does not sag and is not floppy.

It has a plastic or some other type of strengthening piece running along the length of it to provide support from vertical sagging (along the length of it), but it's still flexible and comfortable when cinched.

ANYTHING is going to bounce while running if you have enough weight on it regardless of whether or not the belt itself is moving. There will always be some degree of flex when dealing with flexible materials.

Given how thin and tight the VTAC belt cinches, along with the support material, I doubt it gets too much better on another belt.

The VTAC will not be a floppy saggy mess when cinched.
    The more weight you're carrying on it, the more I'd recommend suspenders (BFG,Tyr). Not for supporting weight when the belt is on (I wear my suspenders loose enough to provide NO support when belt is cinched personally), but to ease the process of taking the belt on and off. Makes the process simpler and faster, not to mention it's really easy to hang the belt off a hook anywhere as opposed to finding a surface for such a weird shape.

I think that armor would run counter to "thin & tight", at the very least thin. I'm not familiar with T33 soft armor and it's capabilities. I emailed Tyr asking what threat level it covers IIIa, II, etc. I never received a response. If wearing this belt in the sandbox, remember that NO soft armor will stop rifle rounds, but soft armor will add weight.

Read on another forum that the Tyr belt has more padding, but stuff sticks out farther away from your body.

You've probably already seen this video, but know that the belt is less floppy in person than it seems when he twists it on the video. With all mag pouches/holster/IFAK on it, I have no issues with floppiness when mounted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ewtr...9&feature=plcp
    I may have mentioned it before in this thread, but a guy I know that owns both VTAC and USGG prefers his USGG.

Some "value added" :P stuff, you need to determine how low you wear your plate carrier/armor/cummerbund when choosing mag pouches. I like my pouches to run flush,even, or higher than the bottom of the battle belt. At least along the front where the top of my thighs touch the belt when squatting/kneeling/stepping up high. For example, the 5.11 stick system is easy to use and fast for reconfiguring your setup, but the 5.11 pistol mags extend too low and dug into my thigh when I took a knee for a more stable shooting platform, moved the 5.11 to the backside rear. If the pouches ride too high, they could *possibly* hit the bottom of your plate carrier (probably because it's too big/low for you), depending on how you have it set up, and I would recommend against anything sticking below your belt in the front where your thighs come up. Sounds stupid, but just my opinion.

The Cobra buckles with the VTAC belt are the first and only Cobra buckles I've ever owned. Love them. Not a big fan of plastic buckles of any type. With enough weight, I've had 2 of them open on me doing not-so-strenous things. Will never trust a plastic buckle again (unless it has a 3rd button like on some child safety buckles). Even then, I'd rather not ever go that route again. Considered getting an Ares belt with the little cobra buckle, but then I found it it doesn't fit through belt loops.

And the lowly dump pouch is my favorite piece of kit.
    Thanks for the reply, I should have been more clear about what I meant by "floppy" lol. I realize any war belt will have some bounce, but in the video you referenced above the belt seemed to bounce more then it should. But from your description it seems that the belt ( if not over loaded) offers suitable stiffness.

Re the armor, I'm aware the soft armor is for frag and pistol protection only. Although I will probably forgo the armor initially, if I go with the tyr belt. The T/33 is certified to balcs frag/9mm specification the T/44 is tested to same but it only waigh's .86/Lb opposed to 1Lb 5 oz ( off the top of my head so don't quote me on the last one) I'm not sure what the difference is between these to and the T/29 but It's the same weight as the T/33. Wen I contacted tyr the lady on the phone could not tell me much of anything about anything wen I called about the difference between the three, or any of the products for that matter. Bit she was vary nice and eager to help with what she could. And I don't think I will have a problem with the mags setting to high, as I got a tyr tactical LWPC in size small with small plates and it doesn't go nowhere meet my waist actually its about tree finger widths above my naval(sp). My wife and I where talking last night and we are going to order a HSGI SURE grip,USGG infidel,O.S.O.E tapered war belt and possibly the tyr battle belt and pick the two we like and sell the rest, or keep then if we like them for a different set up. Ether way I will be running mine pretty slick. Two pistol one-two AR mags an IFAK dump pouch and a flashlight. Again thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

How many inches are they if you were to lay them out and measure from one end of the belt to the other?

My waist is a 36, but I’m more likely to wear the belt lower around my hips and over my pants, which is closer to 40 inches.

Many Thanks...
    -batsoff
    There is an answer above. I will add that it seems to me going a little larger is better than going a little smaller, likely common sense. One thing I like is the ability to carry items forward of the holster. If I am strapping the thing on I will carry as much as I want/need.

Feedback Score
    Just to add, I'm a 36 waist, and have a Medium Infidel belt.

As Orionz mentioned, you can purchase an additional short PALS sleeve (row or column), for $7, that will mount forward of the holster.
    Last edited by Lone_Ranger; 01-14-12 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
    5 months, 4 pages, 2 classes later.....

gb
    GB: How has the trimmed down Safariland holster worked out for you? Have you tried running a single leg strap? If so what made you ditch the strap. I was thinking of doing the same to one of my holsters.

Also just an FYI for anyone out there in the market; 215 gear has their Enhanced Riggers Belt (non Cobra but still nice) on sale right now for under $30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just finished my 1st warbelt. Here's what it is:

VTAC Brokos Belt - Large
    VTAC Cobra Belt - X-Large
    2 - HSGI Taco Rifle Pouch
    2 - HSGI Taco Pistol Pouch
    BAE Eclipse Roll Up Dump Pouch
    Sig P226 Eagle/G-Code MOLLE RTI Holster

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by norbis View Post
    GB: How has the trimmed down Safariland holster worked out for you? Have you tried running a single leg strap? If so what made you ditch the strap. I was thinking of doing the same to one of my holsters.

Also just an FYI for anyone out there in the market; 215 gear has their Enhanced Riggers Belt (non Cobra but still nice) on sale right now for under $30.
    Hey Norbis,

So far, the holster has worked out great. I have done 2 classes and 6 nights of FOF with this set up, and it seems to have the least amount of fleas, of all of the configurations I have tried.

A wise instructor once told me that all gear has fleas, the trick is to find what works for you, without the ticks. I experimented with how much of the shroud to remove, this was not the first run. Other people remove more that what I did, but I found that leaving more on the bottom eliminated the holster snagging, which I found to happen, on my first try......

As far as the leg strap goes, I did start out with a single strap. I wanted to eliminate much of the holster movement, and also provide some anchor to the belt overall. However, what I found was that when I had a leg strap and started moving and kneeling, the holster actually pushed the belt out of position. Also, the leg strap at times would put the holster at a cant or angle where it was pointing at my leg, or in front of me when I sat down.

Maybe I am getting too old, but I like my pistol to not sweep me or anyone else, even when it is holstered, and I really like it when I don't get jammed up by my gear...... I seem to do that all by myself these days...

What I found works best for me now (instead of the leg strap) is to get my two belts to work together, by putting a strip of loop side velcro on the outside of my trouser belt, and a strip of the hook side velcro on the inside of my gear belt. So far, it has kept everything where it needs to be, but will also give when needed.

Cheers,
    gb

Feedback Score
    I finished my (probably first of many) version of my warbelt. I went with HSGI pouches, since they are adaptable to several types of magazines, are extremely sturdy and eyebrow-raisingly affordable. The BFG belt is great, and if I had any complaints, it would be the velcro at the bottom is prone to opening if subjected to stress, but I haven't had an issue with it yet, just in theory.

I THINK I reasoned out the build pretty thoroughly, and it seems to work well, but I'm always open to tips if you've got them.

• BFG SOC padded belt/suspenders
    • HSGI Cobra belt/buckle
    • 2x HSGI Double-decker Taco pistol/mag pouches
    • 2x HSGI Single Taco mag pouches (for multitool and light)
    • 5.11 small dump pouch
    • HSGI Bleeder/Blowout Med pouch
    • HSGI Mini radio/Utility pouch (notebook, pen, lube, etc.)
    • Peter's Custom Holsters Spada M&P Holster w/ molle attachments

I built the rig around magazine placement, and filled in from there. I found that after I added the Arredondo mag extensions that they blocked the primary mags a bit, so I put a PMag dust cover in the bottom of each rifle pouch to raise the mag up a little, and that seems to have solved the problem. There is still plenty of pouch to grab the mag body.
    I am also trying to decide on what orientation to use for the rifle mags. I carry pistol reloads bullets-forward, but I'm not sure that grip works for rifle mags. I want to put as much meat on the mag as possible, especially wearing gloves. Any suggestions?

The other issue I had centered around the belt that came with the BFG rig. It wasn't stiff enough to provide enough support, so I replaced it with the HSGI model, and am happy with the results. The pistol doesn't flop around as much now.

The Peters Custom Holster is one of the best I've tried. It has a superb level of retention, but you don't rip it off the belt while trying to draw. I did have to add some zip-ties to the rear attachment in order to give it a better cant as well as prevent shifting, but it's a solid setup. I decided I'd rather have a pistol as close to my normal CCW position as possible. It rides at a good height for me, and I don't have to contort or reach too far to get it, but it's not in a place that I will hit with my elbow.

The HSGI single pistol mag pouches fit the light and multitool very well. I played around with using them for my reloads, but they blocked my primary mag draw, regardless of whether or not the mag extensions were installed. The admin pouch seems to be fine. It's low-profile and doesn't interfere with my pistol draw, or rifle when slung. The zipper pulls are very loud, however. I will add some electrical tape or shrink wrap at some point. I put a carabiner on the left front side for glove storage, but found that it also made a great handle for quickly rotating the belt to reach the med kit.

Rifle: KAC/BCM 16" midlength, Troy alpha rail, battlecomp, VCAS sling
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 01-19-12 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Looking threw the pages I noticed a lot of people have large fixed blades on they're civilian set ups. I see the value of a multitool but not a fixed blade.
    Can someone tell me the purpose?
    Thanks

Page 78 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast