Thread: IFAK setup advice & what is the best compact gauze and compression bandages?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 staged CAT or SOFW - I would say the CAT is more widely distributed now in the MIL/LEO circles.
    2 staged Israeli bandages
    2 packs of staged z-folded gauze - no need for hemostatic gauze (there was a study done showing little to no benefit to traditional gauze i.e. practice proper wound packing)
    14 ga 3.25 decompression needle
    Hyfin
    size 28 nasopharyngeal
    shears

Feedback Score
    A mylar blanket would be an excellent addition to your "First Responder" bag. I teach .mil medics and first responders to use the MARCH algorythm; Massive (life threatening) hemorrhage, Airway, Respirations, Circulation, Hypothermia. HYpothermia is one of the components of the lethal triad of trauma and often overlooked. The human body depends on maintaining a normal temperature of 98.6F (37C) for all the naturally occuring chemicals to work together.

A couple of sam splints would come in handy as well, you can tear different lengths of tape and make layers of tape on a sam splint to make a "tape board."

Roll kerlix is excellent for wound packing, burns, splinting, and all manner of treatments. Hemostatic gauze is cool, but it's expensive and most trauma docs I talk to emphasize that how a cavitation would is packed is more important than what you pack with. One could use strips of the patient's clothing if necessary.

I wouldnt bother with IV start kits, too many people get fixated on starting an IV that they forget to manage the life threatening injuries. Starting an IV without being a qualified health care provider may not be covered by good samaritan laws in your state. I am a state licensed and nationally certified paramedic and I wont start an IV off duty.

https://www.jems.com/2014/04/02/trau...hermia-acidos/
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!