Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    People just throwing out their favorite load probably didnt read that the OP wants to use it an AR pistol. 90% of things listed wont perform well if his AR pistol is under 10".

Feedback Score
    Federal 62gr bonded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I practice with 55 gr and that is what goes in for home defense.

Feedback Score
    HP or FMJ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm slightly ashamed to admit this but with the exception of one scoped AR that is zeroed for 77gr IMI "Razor Core" I basically use M193 for everything, both practice and for hypothetical "serious use". Primarily Federal at the moment.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-04-18 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    I'm running Speer 75gr gold dots in my 12.5" sbr.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We are in the wrong forum. Should be in the ammo or reloading forums.

Currently my gun sits with M855. Usually Fusion MSR, because it is barrier blind and has excellent penetration and expansion. It is also reliable in my rifles.

There are basically 3 types of projectiles you need to research.

Bonded soft points, which excell at barrier performance. They produce good effects from most barrel lengths, and are very consistent.

Solid copper (alloy) HP, which are good all-round, but expensive.

OTM/Polymer Tipped (Sierra TMK), which have spectacular fragmentation and good penetration, in 77gr form. They suck at barriers, but produce good velocities and terminal effects from short barrels.

M855 and M193 are sub-optimal and inconsistent.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ammoseek.com for all your ammo searches

sgammo.com is fantastic, huge fan of them

midwayusa occasionally offers sales on IMI ammo, earlier this year we saw milspec brass for as low as .24cpr shipped from them

and lastly the “gun deals” subreddit where people post up all gun related deals, ammo included.

Feedback Score
    Gold Dot 62/64gr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Isn't he one of the guys, along with the fake Col, who were called out for making companies pay money for reviews? IIRC, it started at $4k for a decent review.... and if you didn't pay up, the result may not be to your liking...

Anyone else remember this from a year or so ago?

Regarding ammo selection for HD, I would feel well protected with soft point or HP ammunition. I don't ever expect one round to stop a threat, but I am exceedingly aware of what multiple rounds on target does. If I can get high velocity ammunition to retain its destructive ability inside the body of the bad guy, I'm pretty happy. In a HD scenario, windshields and others barriers are highly unlikely. If you patrol a large area of property and are concerned about engagements, that is a slightly different thing to think about.
    Thats what i heard as well. I just chose it for the test results the ammo produced. Seems like real nasty stuff.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast