Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a Jeep CJ7 bug out vehicle.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    After much internet searching... I managed to get a "new" tub home for the build so I don't have to mess with all the rust issues. This one has been all over the country. It's out of Utah. I found it online on a Facebook Jeep page from a guy in Colorado. So we strike a deal, and he's bringing it to me... only he blows up the engine in his truck in Kansas. It gets towed to a diesel shop in Nebraska, and that's where I end up having to go get it myself. At least I got out of flooded Indiana for 3 days.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you mocking all that buildup so far, or are you going to skip cleaning up the frame? Seems a shame to skip it at this point. Very cool blog, and I look forward to updates! I have the same kinds of disability and understand how frustrating it is to have to take your time, but in the interest of acheiving the goal, please do so!

Feedback Score
    This is just mock up. I need to get the frame outside to blast it. I ain't having all that sand all over the garage, but it will disappear on the gravel driveway. It's all getting fresh paint. I'm doing it up as a military tribute of sorts. It should have the look of a souped up CJ7 version of an M38A1. I'm doing it in desert sand like our vehicles we had in Iraq, but with the old style markings. The bumper numbers will be from my first tank in my first unit out of basic. L trp 3/2nd ACR Amberg West Germany, 1981-83.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-07-18 at 08:46.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Just saw a beautiful Scrambler that someone put a lotta work into, for sale at a shop across from the local Ford dealer last week. I was gonna stop & look at it myself, but it didn't last a week - it was gone by Friday.

As I wheel a '92 Ramcharger - with a 318 Magnum (my first wheeler with MPFI) - it's pretty damn nice to not hafta worry about all the gas running out of the bowl on a carb, when on an incline... like I had to with my '79 Bronco. The Magnum is a pretty nice setup for a wheeler - have you given any thought to converting that LA - or even scrounging one from a junkyard - for this project?

Looking forward to seeing how it ends up!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very cool!!! I have a 2003 TJ that at some point want to lift, and do a bunch of other stuff as a project. It is still a weekend driver though. You should do a Rat Patrol build with a .50 cal M2 attached.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I just sold my 85 CJ7 and scooped up a 2006 Wrangler rubicon because first kid is here. You’re really making me regret selling the CJ, there’s just something about that skinny grill and simple overall design that calls to me. Good luck with the resto, as for the stubborn bolts, I hit every nut and bolt with PB blaster a couple times before I put a wrench to it. And if they look sketchy I always break out the propane torch and give it a little heat.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    Tough time finding some 3/8" steel for a spacer for the front of the Dave's Custom kit, but I finally came across a semi trailer kingpin plate at a scrap yard that was 3/8". After much cutting, and drilling a couple holes in each... they fit. Still have to grind off a bit and sand blast them, and the front of the frame, and we're off to the welder.

The rear was much easier as it's made of 1/4" and I had some of that laying around. I just needed to do up a piece that was 3/8, plus the width of the cut. I think I got pretty close.

If my welder guy gets back to me, I should have this mounted solid this week. Rear springs are on order, and have shipped. Just waiting on brown santa. Next step, blast and paint the entire frame.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Well, I managed to get the frame to the welder. Of course things did not go as planned. One of his buddies he lets use his shop had left his gas on... no mig. Had to stick weld it. Not as pretty, but should be just as strong. Interesting side note: the work was free. I traded the work for an old welder I was given for helping a friend last year on his project. I don't have 220v in my garage, and don't know how to weld very well anyway... He used his free machine to do my free work.

I bolted the front adapter and the 3/8" spacer to the frame, and he stitched both together, and to the frame.

Then he put the rear pieces together, stitched the side plates to the frame, and added the gussets.

Next morning, I shot it all with some black rattle can to keep the orange beast at bay until I can get to the rest of the frame. It's still on the trailer for now. I did some garage clean up today. Didn't get back til after 10pm the other night. Got rear springs on the way. Won't be doing much to it for a while though. Got a bunch of VA appointments coming up, plus the traveling Vietnam memorial wall is in town starting today, plus Memorial Day weekend, and as the local VFW commander, I'm a bit busy.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Coat with Rhino liner and you won't have to grind anything that shows. Looks badass!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I had a 1991 Wrangler that I got the week before I turned 19 in 1995. Sold it the summer before last. This is making me miss it.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast