Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tent or Tarp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you sure the tent actually leaked in the rain? Quite often the combination of high humidity, perspiration, damp clothes, and exhaling moisture will result in all of that condensing on the ceiling/walls and ending up in the floor as puddles. Why I tend to like floorless shelters in forested areas, although that could be a whole different ballgame on compacted or clay soil.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No condensation.. just picked a poor spot. There was a deluge and the run off ended up puddling around and under the tent where I had placed it. Another time was when we got to a spot in the dark. Looked like we picked a good spot, but it turned out the other way. That wasn't a fun night. Besides the wet, someone... not me... didn't close the fly all the way and I woke up with a raccoon walking on my back. That was some funny stuff... at least now it is.

Feedback Score
    Depends on mode of camping and weather.

For actual patrolling/hike in type situations I will usually just use a tarp unless it's going to be crazy cold. If crazy cold then a one man Eureka tent.

If weather is even semi decent then just a sill nylon tarp. If it's really swampy/buggy maybe a small mosquito net as well or a Snugpak Jungle bag for bug protection.

Camped this way when I was 16, still camping this way at 47

Now if it's "car camping" I'll bring a Eureka 3 man tent if it's just me or a 5 person tent if it's the whole family just for some more room/comfort.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I do a lot of camping and backpacking, and i do like the hammock/tarp combo, but if you are going camping in cold weather, you MUST bring a good hammock quilt or something to help insulate or you will freeze. I trade off between a hammock/tarp and my nice backpacking tent in the warmer weather, but if i'm camping in the late fall or winter, i always use a tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I agree. Hammock is not good in extreme cold, as you feel cold underneath, where gravity has you pressed down against the bottom surface. Much rather be down in a bag on top of a puss pad.
    Hennessy Hammock is one I'd like to try...
    https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/cold-weather-camping
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Hennessy Hammock is one I'd like to try...
    https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/cold-weather-camping
    Never heard of this Hennessy Hammock until just now. And like you, I want to try it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hennessey makes good stuff. There are lots of other good options as well. I've been using a Hammock Gear 3/4 underquilt for five years or so along with a good goose down bag and stay plenty warm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not a back packer much anymore, but I do like the 10X10 sil-tarp, the DD 10X10 is good quality, but so are the Aqua Quest tarps on Amazon. I have a 10X10 Sil-tarp that is excellent, but they come in different sizes and weights. Some are Silicon coated and Some are heavier with TPU coating. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=aqua+qu...ss_ts-a-p_8_11

I've never used a hammock, because I don't sleep well in them.

To keep warm when its cool, you need some kind of insulation from the ground and a decent bag or blanket. You also need to limit the wind, which is where a tent can be better.

I keep a 10x10 Sil-tarp in my BO bag, a SOL breathable bivvy bag, a poncho, and a poncho liner (Swagman roll). I also keep some of those larger thin reflecting blankets. You can make a really warm super-shelter if you have some clear plastic too. I also take about 4-5 feet of folded heavy duty 18" wide aluminum foil and I fashion a reflector or hold hot coals that I can put under my poncho when sitting. But that's only for a couple to a few days of survival.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-11-21 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    I like hammocks for how fast you can set them up. I have a Warbonnet and Lawson and I like them both. Warbonnet is very light and has built-in bug net. Lawson also has a bug net , but my Lawson is a lot heavier.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You need to look at Force Protector Gear. They make excellent thermashield blankets.
    Here is one of the survival shelter kits:

Feedback Score
    I prefer tent but that may be from spending my teen years where the mosquito was the state bird. My first experience with a tarp was with no knowledge of them beforehand and wrapping myself up as a burrito kept the rain off but the condensation and sweat in. I'll have to try one again one day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123