Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have a few the most used are the Husqvarna carpenters axe and Wetterlings boys axe. I also like to use my Sager Chemical cruiser double bit. I just picked up a vintage Gransfors Bruks 3.5lb head on ebay last week and hung it on a new handle, but haven't used it much yet.
    I know many people like them, but I wouldn't own another Fiskars; I love their other stuff, just hate their axes.

Feedback Score
    I have two different Gransfors Bruks. Keep them oiled or they will rust.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne
    Keep them oiled or they will rust.
    Yes on this.

Was on a roll buying Axes, but halted for now.

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Yes on this.

Was on a roll buying Axes, but halted for now.

Dude! What is number 6 counting from the right hand side? That is a nice looking collection you have CLHC!

Feedback Score
    Regarding the Fiskars some of you mentioned... how long are they lasting with frequency of use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AOTAC View Post
    Regarding the Fiskars some of you mentioned... how long are they lasting with frequency of use?
    I have a Fiskars X27 that has split 30 cords of birch firewood. Treated properly I don't see it dying any time soon. I have a 28" chopping axe that is my winter camping axe and it has held up great as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Estwing Special Edition 26" Campers Axe. It replaced my Swamp Rat Tomahawk.

Feedback Score
    Thread seems to been idle for quite sometime now.
    But figured I’d share my recent purchase here
    GB large splitting axe

Feedback Score
    Speaking of oil, what do you use on the handles? I picked up a re-handled boys axe at the flea market for $8. I had a half bottle of synthetic motor oil at the time so I used that on the handle. Seemed to work okay and soaked in nicely. When I brought the Hudson Bay home I picked up some boiled linseed oil and applied 7 or 8 coats. Handle turned out real nice and smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    Dude! What is number 6 counting from the right hand side? That is a nice looking collection you have CLHC!
    Thanks. Number six [6] from the RH side is a Council Tool Velicut Hudson Bay Camp Axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    Speaking of oil, what do you use on the handles? I picked up a re-handled boys axe at the flea market for $8. I had a half bottle of synthetic motor oil at the time so I used that on the handle. Seemed to work okay and soaked in nicely. When I brought the Hudson Bay home I picked up some boiled linseed oil and applied 7 or 8 coats. Handle turned out real nice and smooth.
    I used Klean Strip Boiled Linseed Oil also.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast