Thread: Is this normal after just 40 rounds? Colt cr6921

Feedback Score

Is this normal after just 40 rounds? Colt cr6921

Hi guys, i just took my new toy (colt cr6921) to the range, shoot it with sellier & bellot 223 factory fmj ammo. Zero issues, accuracy seems good with 2 MOA groups using an aimpoint comp m3 with 2 moa dot, the only thing is that I noticed a little bit of paint (or better say "finish") already chipped off on the back of the edge of the brass deflector. I know it is no big deal and i know that the brass deflector is there to.. deflect brass and it will get some finish wear overtime but it never happened to me so quickly and not in that location so i was curious: is this to be expected?

Brass looks fine, strong and repeateable ejection at 4 o'clock, normal recoil impulse. There were some regular brass marks on the front of the brass deflector with no paint chipping off

Thanks

Pic attached (hopefully)

https://i.imgur.com/9bV3tEJ.jpeg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt uppers are anodized not painted.

It seems strange as that minor mark does look like a paint chip and not anodizing wear. It is hard to tell from your picture, but it also looks like that upper was sprayed, poorly, to cover something up.

Regardless, it is insignificant, continue shooting. Unless of course, it leads you to question the provenance of your purchase.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-12-24 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    No man the rifle is new, in box, directly from the italian importer of colt's, with all the markings and the right stuff. What seems to be a bad spray job is just ballistol clp, oil. The rifle has never been painted in any way. And that ding on the finish was not there before shooting the rifle today, I guarantee 100%. And the rifle did just lean on a soft shooting rest and handled with care

So you are positive brass (maybe hitting with the sharp edge considering the weird location of the ding) cannot chip a little bit of aluminum off?

Feedback Score
    Update:

Damn guys you were right, it was already there before statting shooting. I saw it in a pic i took of the rfile i sent to a girl before starting shooting ahah

That's weird, i never bumped the rifle and always handled it with care, it must have came from the factory like that.

Good to know, unusual wear is much more worrying than a ding from the factory.

At colt they are animals lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssimo View Post
    No man the rifle is new, in box, directly from the italian importer of colt's, with all the markings and the right stuff. What seems to be a bad spray job is just ballistol clp, oil. The rifle has never been painted in any way. And that ding on the finish was not there before shooting the rifle today, I guarantee 100%. And the rifle did just lean on a soft shooting rest and handled with care

So you are positive brass (maybe hitting with the sharp edge considering the weird location of the ding) cannot chip a little bit of aluminum off?
    I believe you, I said it was hard to tell from the picture. I guess that was just a load of oil and not a bad spray paint job. Regardless, it will still shoot.

Brass is soft and will generally only leave a brass scuff that will usually wipe off with some oil. Also usually not behind the deflector like in your picture.

It won't stay pristine forever, so go out and shoot it some more.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Bemvenuto, ssimo. I can never decide what I like better, Italian things or English things. I've had an Italian bike (and Spanish, and Czech, and Austrian), and have an English bike; both cool..... I have a Triumph TR7 and have had an MGB, my GF had a FIAT X 1/9 in high school. Also guns from both countries, but.... yeah in the end I think Italy gets the nod. Here in the US you never see a sign that says "English Restaurant".

Welcome.

Anodizing-- I have not seen it chip before, not saying it's impossible. So maybe it is more of a gouge...? It is an excellent, but I mean excellent, finish for aluminum but it is not magic. That case deflector sticking out as it does would tend to be the first thing to get bumped, maybe even at the factory.

I am very interested in knowing about getting a Colt AR15 in Italy. I'm guessing it has to have a .223 and not a 5.56 chamber....? This import restriction is in place in many countries, I mean, according to what I think I know about it. Pistols too: .380, OK. 9X21, OK. 9mm X 19 Parabellum no way! I tip my hat to those of you who can get past all that bureaucratic crap and get the guns. I have friends from many countries that don't have it as good as we have it here in the US. Some have risked jail even in their best effort to comply with the senseless regulations, because the enforcers of those regs have zero understanding of what they mean. The guys who want the guns and ammo have to know the regs to stay out of jail; the enforcers think their job is to misunderstand the regs so they can be a big hero and put someone in prison. Cretinos!

Tell us what you can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Bemvenuto, ssimo. I can never decide what I like better, Italian things or English things. I've had an Italian bike (and Spanish, and Czech, and Austrian), and have an English bike; both cool..... I have a Triumph TR7 and have had an MGB, my GF had a FIAT X 1/9 in high school. Also guns from both countries, but.... yeah in the end I think Italy gets the nod. Here in the US you never see a sign that says "English Restaurant".

Welcome.

Anodizing-- I have not seen it chip before, not saying it's impossible. So maybe it is more of a gouge...? It is an excellent, but I mean excellent, finish for aluminum but it is not magic. That case deflector sticking out as it does would tend to be the first thing to get bumped, maybe even at the factory.

I am very interested in knowing about getting a Colt AR15 in Italy. I'm guessing it has to have a .223 and not a 5.56 chamber....? This import restriction is in place in many countries, I mean, according to what I think I know about it. Pistols too: .380, OK. 9X21, OK. 9mm X 19 Parabellum no way! I tip my hat to those of you who can get past all that bureaucratic crap and get the guns. I have friends from many countries that don't have it as good as we have it here in the US. Some have risked jail even in their best effort to comply with the senseless regulations, because the enforcers of those regs have zero understanding of what they mean. The guys who want the guns and ammo have to know the regs to stay out of jail; the enforcers think their job is to misunderstand the regs so they can be a big hero and put someone in prison. Cretinos!

Tell us what you can.
    Hi my friend, our colts have 5.56 chamber, thry just don't sell 5.56 ammo, in theory because sometimes factories like s&b or iwi are known to send some 556 for mistake. Not a big deal anyway. Since a few years qe can also have 9x19, in fact i have a g19 in that caliber. It's not so difficult to buy and use guns here afterall, we don't have import restrictions or crazy barrel lenght limitations. We have limitations on the number of some kind of guns and on some kind of ammo though!

Man, Italy vs UK is of course won by Italy in almost any regard, from girls to cars to food to basically anything. Jokes aside, we are a big manufacturing nation, the UK much less so

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssimo View Post
    Hi my friend, our colts have 5.56 chamber, thry just don't sell 5.56 ammo, in theory because sometimes factories like s&b or iwi are known to send some 556 for mistake. Not a big deal anyway. Since a few years qe can also have 9x19, in fact i have a g19 in that caliber. It's not so difficult to buy and use guns here afterall, we don't have import restrictions or crazy barrel lenght limitations. We have limitations on the number of some kind of guns and on some kind of ammo though!

Man, Italy vs UK is of course won by Italy in almost any regard, from girls to cars to food to basically anything. Jokes aside, we are a big manufacturing nation, the UK much less so
    Did they do away with your law banning Military cartridge use for the common people? Good, if that is the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Did they do away with your law banning Military cartridge use for the common people? Good, if that is the case.
    Yes they fixed it, no banned cartridges of common use at the moment aside from 5.56.. 223 is almost identical anyway. Almost

Feedback Score
    I can’t answer what your blemish is specifically, but I do know that a fairly recent Colt rifle of mine had a similar blemish which responded to Alumablack liquid, which leads me to believe it was a spot missed during the anodizing process.