Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Between Bore Cleaners

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I've been told, by a chemist I asked, ammonium hydroxide above 10% will etch steel.

Not the same thing but a funny story - a farmer friend told me they used to give an outbuilding a dose of anhydrous to kill the critters in there. He said once they did it with his dad's bass boat in there. Corroded every bit of chrome plated stuff on the boat.
    Anhydrous is no joke. I'll have to check on the steel, maybe something with high carbon steel. We use low carbon and I've never seen it etch. I'm trying to source a piece of chrome line 4140 for testing to put the theories to bed.

That said, solvents used as intended will not harm the chrome or steel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hardly ever clean my ARs and if I do, I mostly use CLP or sometimes just FP10 oil (which isn't CLP but works great.) If I need to clean copper, Hoppes #9 seems to work good enough for me.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I use M7 Pro to remove the carbon. One of the nice things about it is that it does not smell.

If I want to remove the copper I use one of the foaming bore cleaners.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    For all of the expanding foam products, how much is entering the gas tube? Probably not worth worrying about as the product is likely compatable with the construction of the gas system components. But interesting...
    I've used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. I bought it at the shop I frequent. The guy who owns the shop has an incredible amount of knowledge, experience, and skill. I asked about the gas tube back when I bought it. He basically said, "Don't worry about it. It won't hurt a thing, and any left in there will be long gone after the first round."

In practice, I've not experienced any issues. It eventually turns to liquid, and I typically start my cleaning session by filling the bore/chamber. Then I take care of the bcg and other parts, with the bore being the last thing I actually clean up. So, I feel like some of the foam probably migrates out through the GT and into the bore by that point. If anything, I actually think it might help keep carbon controlled in the gas tube. The same gunsmith was putting a rail on for me. He had to take the FSB off, and figured he'd throw the gas tube in the ultrasonic while he had it removed. Apparently there was very little evidence that the gas tube was dirty. Probably had about 3,000 rounds on that rifle at that point in time, and had never done anything specific to clean the gas tube.

If the idea bothers you, a quick blast of compressed air will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Ammonia does not attack chrome.
    Ammonia attacks copper. Copper is used on decorative chrome and nickel plating as a strike, ammonia will cause these to flake due to attack on the copper. I suspect people think chrome bores are also at risk.

I'm 99.99% sure it will do nothing, but I'm looking for something to test.

Anyone have a trash/shot out barrel?

I'm glad that some others have focused on the Ammonia/Chrome point. When I read that yesterday, I got a little worried. I use Butch's Bore Shine for my bolt guns, as it came highly recommended and works very well. As a point of reference Lilja lists it as their solvent of choice. I'd also read from a number of sources that one could even leave it in overnight without problems; although I've not yet found a reason to try. The Bolt guns aren't chrome-lined, but I have used it in some ARs. Not for every cleaning, and I've not noticed anything that would indicate it's harming the bore. Still, that comment had me a little concerned.

I can't add anything beyond my personal experince, so I'll be following for more info. Thanks!
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I've used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. I bought it at the shop I frequent. The guy who owns the shop has an incredible amount of knowledge, experience, and skill. I asked about the gas tube back when I bought it. He basically said, "Don't worry about it. It won't hurt a thing, and any left in there will be long gone after the first round."

In practice, I've not experienced any issues. It eventually turns to liquid, and I typically start my cleaning session by filling the bore/chamber. Then I take care of the bcg and other parts, with the bore being the last thing I actually clean up. So, I feel like some of the foam probably migrates out through the GT and into the bore by that point. If anything, I actually think it might help keep carbon controlled in the gas tube. The same gunsmith was putting a rail on for me. He had to take the FSB off, and figured he'd throw the gas tube in the ultrasonic while he had it removed. Apparently there was very little evidence that the gas tube was dirty. Probably had about 3,000 rounds on that rifle at that point in time, and had never done anything specific to clean the gas tube.

If the idea bothers you, a quick blast of compressed air will do the trick.

I'm glad that some others have focused on the Ammonia/Chrome point. When I read that yesterday, I got a little worried. I use Butch's Bore Shine for my bolt guns, as it came highly recommended and works very well. As a point of reference Lilja lists it as their solvent of choice. I'd also read from a number of sources that one could even leave it in overnight without problems; although I've not yet found a reason to try. The Bolt guns aren't chrome-lined, but I have used it in some ARs. Not for every cleaning, and I've not noticed anything that would indicate it's harming the bore. Still, that comment had me a little concerned.

I can't add anything beyond my personal experince, so I'll be following for more info. Thanks!
    If someone even mentions cleaning a gas tube I have to question their knowledge of the AR platform. At that point I would probably turn around and walk away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    If someone even mentions cleaning a gas tube I have to question their knowledge of the AR platform. At that point I would probably turn around and walk away.
    +1...Although I don't fault him for tossing it in the ultrasonic; due to it already being disassembled. For me, the foam potentially being what kept it fairly carbon free is a nice side effect of using it on the bore. But, I'm not sure purposefully ever wanting to clean it has ever crossed my mind.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Kdubya;2503136]I've used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. I bought it at the shop I frequent. The guy who owns the shop has an incredible amount of knowledge, experience, and skill. I asked about the gas tube back when I bought it. He basically said, "Don't worry about it. It won't hurt a thing, and any left in there will be long gone after the first round."

I've tried using this a few times and I must be doing something wrong. It seems like the foam doesn't really go completely into the barrel. I put the bore cleaner tube into the chamber and give it a shot but foam almost immediately comes back out. I've never gotten foam from the muzzle. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Thanks

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Tigereye;2503319]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I've tried using this a few times and I must be doing something wrong. It seems like the foam doesn't really go completely into the barrel. I put the bore cleaner tube into the chamber and give it a shot but foam almost immediately comes back out. I've never gotten foam from the muzzle. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Thanks
    Push the tube against the bore so that it "seals".

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks Kev.
    I tried it again and put it a little further into the bore. Worked like a champ. It was a case of operator error.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Unless something has changed recently, the foam sold under the Outers, Hoppes, and Break Free labels are all Milfoam/Forrest made in Finland if anyone likes it, but can't find their usual brand.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast