Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mora...one of the few things you will ever buy where you really get the feeling you got a lot more than what you paid for. Just learn the easy way to sharpen a Scandigrind instead of free handing and learning later you have to redo it on a flat coarse stone like I did!

Feedback Score
    I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.
    Damn, Angus!

Feedback Score
    As suggested above I would get a mora for a starting point and go from there. Just be careful or you will end up with a couple of ammo cans full of blades that you can't live without . Don't ask me how I know lol.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Another Mora user here. Here's one with a ferrocerium rod in the handle for $20:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lig...-rec-prod6461N

I have a half-dozen of the bright orange ones scattered through my gear.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Another Mora user here. Here's one with a ferrocerium rod in the handle for $20:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lig...-rec-prod6461N

I have a half-dozen of the bright orange ones scattered through my gear.
    If you had the choice, what color would you choose and why? Is bright orange your first choice?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    If you had the choice, what color would you choose and why? Is bright orange your first choice?
    Yes, bright orange is my first choice on gear like that for several reasons.

It's highly visible. When you are dehydrated, have not eaten food for two days, and fuzzy-headed, you need stuff that does not get easily lost. Or if lost, is easily spotted. My days of wandering the landscape avoiding angry people are long past. Camo I honestly do not need.

It does not scream tactical. I have a GHB in my vehicle, as well as one locked up at work. If they are searched, they are going to look a lot more like emergency preparations than an active shooter gear stash. And yes, I have had that conversation with authorities.

Feedback Score
    ^^^^ Great deal just bought a couple thanks for posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would not overlook Randall Knives - ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1490665801.514232.jpg been around more than just the block.

Feedback Score
    I'm old school. I use a WW2 USN Mk2 Kabar.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast