Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: So what does Mil-Spec mean???

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Are you sure about this? I was told that the Noveske bolts were individually MP tested and not batch tested. I even called Noveske and asked them about that when I was looking for a MP bolt for my 6.8. They told me that all of their bolts for both 6.8 and 5.56 were mp inspected
    That's what I thought as well, I was just going off of rob_s' chart. Maybe I was referencing an old chart (rob_s spread-sheet), as I do recall hearing that Noveske's bolts were MP tested. I just didn't want to make an unsupported statement (this way I get to pass blame onto rob_s ).

Could you have Josh check to see if his extractor has a blue or black buffer and check for the MP etch? Just want to confirm. If those two are present then it would be hard not to give top billing to the Noveske.

EDIT- Crossed wires here- meant to note HPT, but MP stuck in my head. Noveske DOES MP their bolts by all accounts.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 09-15-08 at 11:08. Reason: link/edit
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Grant,

Speaking of gas port erosion. Are you saying that the LMT enhanced carrier should be used when issues occur or to mitigate the problems from the beginning? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Since we are all interested in gas port size, let's continue on down this road. One of the problems facing gas ports is erosion. As you fire your weapon, the gas port slowly (over thousands and thousands of rounds) grows bigger and bigger (allowing more gas to go down the tube). So that means that if you already have a large gas port, it will only get bigger!

The next question is, what can we do to help bleed off some of the excess gas and slow things down a bit? One of the things I like to do is switch out the bolt carrier to the LMT enhanced carrier (notice I did not say enhanced BCG). The LMT enhanced carriers have 3 gas vent holes. This seems to help get rid of some of the extra gas. The other thing you can do is try an H2/H3 buffer and a CS buffer spring (one or the other or combination of the two). You should also make sure that you are running a stiff extractor spring and a Crane O-Ring to help with extraction.

C4

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Could you have Josh check to see if his extractor has a blue or black buffer and check for the MP etch?
    I know that my extractor insert was blue on the bolt which came with my N4 Light Recce. I don't recall whether there was a MP on the bolt. I will have to check.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    I know that my extractor insert was blue on the bolt which came with my N4 Light Recce. I don't recall whether there was a MP on the bolt. I will have to check.
    I screwed up on my post re: MP tested bolts. I should have said HPT (hight pressure test), but MPI stuck in my head instead.

By all accounts Noveske's bolts ARE MPI'd, but batch HPT'd. Apologies to everyone that runs back to disassemble their Noveskes to check their bolts for MP.

I'm still blaming rob_s though.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Any idea on the gas port size in the ADS rifles?? Jeff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Roger that. Working with these weapons day in and day out makes you think that everyone knows the same amount as you do. I also hate to talk down to people so I try not to cover/explain what I classify as the simple stuff as people will assume I am just talking to hear myself talk.

Here is a quick list of companies that I know for a fact that use the .063 (or close to it) gas port size:

LMT
    Colt
    BCM
    Noveske (14.5 N4)
    S&W (later models)

I would give the benefit of the doubt to Charles Daly as well as they know what they are doing.

C4
    so i put together a parts gun with a bunch of stuff around.

RRA Upper/Lower
    CMT LPK
    LMT BCG
    VLTOR Clubfoot/ RE / spring / buffer
    M4 handguards
    and a Sabre Defense Barrel.

it runs fine, the recoil doesn't seem better or worse than my LMT's. but does anyone know what port size is used in a Sabre barrel?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Grant,

Speaking of gas port erosion. Are you saying that the LMT enhanced carrier should be used when issues occur or to mitigate the problems from the beginning? Thanks.

I think it should be used from day one and especially if you are running a Suppressor!

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-lock View Post
    Any idea on the gas port size in the ADS rifles?? Jeff

I do not know.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    so i put together a parts gun with a bunch of stuff around.

RRA Upper/Lower
    CMT LPK
    LMT BCG
    VLTOR Clubfoot/ RE / spring / buffer
    M4 handguards
    and a Sabre Defense Barrel.

it runs fine, the recoil doesn't seem better or worse than my LMT's. but does anyone know what port size is used in a Sabre barrel?

If you have a carbine gas system on the SD, it is most likely .063.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I thought it might be good to bump this thread after reading some silly crap on TOS about BCG's.

As I stated in my opening post, Mil-Spec does NOT mean that it is the "best" it simply means that it follows a set of guidelines set forth by the US Govt. Typically speaking, the Govt does not spec out gear on the high end, but the lowest quality that will get the job done. So if you are not meeting this LOW standard, then what standard are you meeting???

You cannot say you gear is Mil-Spec (meaning that you are using the term in order to convince people that it is quality) and then say that a part of what the TDP calls for is utterly useless or not needed!

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-24-09 at 09:02.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast