Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAR Vickers Tactical Pistol I 6-7 Sept 08

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by USPcompact View Post
    The round count wasn't exceedingly high, but at the end of each day I was just mentally spent.
    Totally agree. I was complete junk by the end of the walk-back drill on day 2. It showed at the end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USPcompact View Post
    ...the round count wasn't exceedingly high, but at the end of each day I was just mentally spent....
    yep, my tail is still dragging... I started to clean up my gear and put it away this afternoon and at quick glance my round count was between 357-387 rounds; it sure seemed like much more!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another fun-filled LAV class.

In addition to the mystery AI, Paul got to earn his AI street cred this weekend.

Way to go Paul!

Feedback Score
    as with the other courses i have taken w/ LAV, it was time + money very well spent. excellent drills to work the fundamentals [which i seem to continuously need]. thanks to larry, DP + paul. quality crew + quality classmates. good stuff was learned by all.

even though saturday am was basically a suck weather-wise, i was impressed [and surprised] at the packed turnout. both DP + LAV made the point that one never chooses the conditions in which one has to fight; it is a combat pistol class, so suck it the f**k up and train. truer words have rarely been spoken. i still don't think the clay is coming out of my pants, though.

good to see the regulars + great to meet new students. everyone pretty much stayed switched on despite the weather and there was a lot of good info. the round count was not as high as i was expecting, but i still felt pretty spent at the end of both training days and was very satisfied with what i learned. assloads of lead downrange does not necessarily translate to quality training. the round count doesn't really tell the story, but suffice to say i learned a shit-ton. likewise, i learned some new [to me] drills to aid in practice time. like any good training class, this one helped me sharpen up some skills that were lacking and really turned the microscope on to the shit that i need to practice, which is always a plus.

i was a little concerned about the number of students, as the roster was pretty much overloaded… but having 3 instructors alleviated that for the most part and i didn't feel like i was lacking any attention from the instructors… particularly when someone was yelling at you for short-bussing and/or an instructor helping you out with mechanics or how to run a drill, etc.

good show, gents. thanks again to the VT team for another great class. i look forward to the next one with my "smackum roo-guh." btw, in keeping with larry-isms, one of my personal favorites [pretty sure i'm paraphrasing + it was not said by LAV, it was noted by a fellow classmate]:

"…while the FBI has its "bin laden" unit, the ACLU has it's "vickers" unit."

that's some quality shit.

Feedback Score
    I had a great time as well guys and gal. Ill give her props even tho I know shes not on these boards. She definitely kicked my azz several times when the pressure was on. So that shows that not all LEO shoot poorly.

I learned a lot of things in training this weekend. Mostly I learned that I suck just alil worse than I thought I did. Now I have an idea how to properly train and practice at home, so maybe Ill get better for the next class or a real world situation. I'm not too disappointed in myself at my performance as a first time class participant and probly the youngest in the class. My mind and nerves were really shot to hell by the end of the class. I finally started to calm down some late last night.

The "Distance Elimination Challenge on Steel" (walk back drill) really kicked my azz. I definitely will practice on distance shooting and dealing with the wobble. I find it really impressive at the guys who can go all the way and still ring the steel one handed.

Larry and the AIs do a great job of explaining things where they are easily understood, and in a good manner. The humorous portions of the class just make it that much more fun. I never thought something so serious would be so much fun.

Round count for me was around 340 best I can tell. I know I lost some rounds in the mud doing malf drills and stuff. I also picked up a couple rounds that had "setback" to where I wouldnt use them.
    Day 1 with the XD"Bubba gun" 150rds
    Day 2 with the CZ 190rds. Really need to work on my first shot DA, they suuucked.

Hope everyone had a safe trip home, hope to see you next time I can make a class.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    oh yeah, there is no such thing as a dedicated "walkback" gun.

using a gun that is different from what you've been shooting through the class is ... counterproductive.
    I had that exact problem during the 2008 mods/staff class, hadn't shot a Glock much at all maybe 200 rounds in the last 8 months and then took my G17 to class. I did win the 'paper-target' match at class (won a couple PMAGs), but didn't do as well on the walkbacks. I have no idea where my G17 hits at 100yds and beyond using Warren sights.....DOH! (this is why I carry a SBR in my vehicle! )
    I was used to shooting a M&P9, STI 2011 and a SA 1911 and it showed.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

the very first walkback drill i did was in LAV's Feb. 08 carbine/pistol I class.

that drill has haunted me to the extent that not too long ago i ordered some steel and started practicing on it at distance (25-100 yds).

at the range, people look at me like i have 3 heads. not that i give a $hit.

Feedback Score
    Did anyone offer to give LAV a hug on the last day?
    “He who would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression. For if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.” Thomas Paine

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Did anyone offer to give LAV a hug on the last day?
    That would have been fun to watch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    Great Class, as always. Every class seems to have more short-bus folks than the last.

Great seeing the regulars - Heavy Metal, .30 Slut, Ron556, JohnWayne, and Templar. Also lots of good new "like minded" individuals. .
    Good to see everybody too. And a special thanks to Ron for the use of his spare amplified earpro after my Comtac II's went TU.

Hey, I am just glad she was there. Not only an attractive lady but a very competent shooter as well. I wish her success on her SWAT try-out. As I told her, only by grace of her presence, she kept it from becoming a total sausage festival.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 09-10-08 at 12:34.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast