Thread: What causes an aks74u to suddenly start having failures to feed

Feedback Score

What causes an aks74u to suddenly start having failures to feed

This just began happening several times per mag. I've tried different mags, three types of ammo, cleaning, nothing seems to work. I can't see anything loose or broken in the feed path and the gun seems to be cycling properly with adequate power.

Last edited by 1911-A1; 08-22-16 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    Did you chop a 16" Arsenal barrel for the build without removing the gas port grommet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Did you chop a 16" Arsenal barrel for the build without removing the gas port grommet?
    It came as a complete rifle with a krink barrel and a pinned fake can on an itm arms receiver

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    How many rounds do you have downrange?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    How many rounds do you have downrange?
    A few thousand at least

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    1. Check headspace and timing.

2. Can you mimic the malfunction manually by charging the handle. If not it might not be getting enough gas pressure to cycle properly.

3. Check the gas flow from the barrel, make sure you don't have something causing blockage in that hole from the barrel.

4. Did you put the rails on there, make sure they are not binding or rubbing on the gas/operating rod. Any friction can cause the bolt to not cycle.

5 Did you happen to drop it or torque the barrel in any way?
    Last edited by arbninftry; 08-22-16 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    A few thousand at least
    Have you replaced the recoil spring? I believe that Battlefield Vegas replace AK recoil springs every 5000 rounds (although they are almost exclusively running theirs full-auto).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Trying a new recoil spring would be my first course of action.

Feedback Score
    In the first picture, is that a bolt-over-base malfunction? Assuming that to be the case (the picture is too dark to tell), it might alternately be a case of the bolt assembly outrunning the magazine spring or something dragging on the bolt or piston. Based on what you've described, the most likely causes would be the ultimak shifting and rubbing on the piston, slowing the carrier too much, or a barrel that was overgassed to start with that's become worse with port erosion, resulting in the bolt assembly moving too fast.

If it's over gassed, replacing the recoil spring or using a stiffer recoil spring might provide a bandaid fix, however the best way to solve that problem would be to have a gunsmith restrict the gas or just install a new barrel.
    Last edited by Aries144; 08-23-16 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Trying a new recoil spring would be my first course of action.
    Agreed. I'd get a Wolff extra power and standard just to eliminate variables.