Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal 300 Blackout Barrel Length for HD Pistol that will eventually be Suppressed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ideal 300 Blackout Barrel Length for HD Pistol that will eventually be Suppressed?

I'm building my first .300 blackout... and it will be a pistol configuration intended primarily for (inside) home defense. Other than fun plinking and a lot of training, it could be pressed into service outside checking on a bump in the night around our five acres, but I'd likely grab another carbine if I knew I were heading outside.

Eventually it will be suppressed, but that will come later.

While I've researched a lot, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be regarding ideal barrel lengths and .300 ballistics for this purpose, also considering added length of a suppressor someday inside a tight hallway.

To put my biases on the table, I'm strongly leaning towards a BCM 9" unless someone can talk me out of it with data I'm ignorant about.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
    I'm building my first .300 blackout... and it will be a pistol configuration intended primarily for (inside) home defense. Other than fun plinking and a lot of training, it could be pressed into service outside checking on a bump in the night around our five acres, but I'd likely grab another carbine if I knew I were heading outside.

Eventually it will be suppressed, but that will come later.

While I've researched a lot, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be regarding ideal barrel lengths and .300 ballistics for this purpose, also considering added length of a suppressor someday inside a tight hallway.

To put my biases on the table, I'm strongly leaning towards a BCM 9" unless someone can talk me out of it with data I'm ignorant about.

Thanks!
    BCM 9" is good. Noveske makes an 8.5" (used to be an 8.2"), Ballistic Advantage makes something in that range as well. Some good options in the 8"-9" range.

Feedback Score
    Im happy with my 9 inch aac upper

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I went with a 12". Since I hand load, I wanted the versatility of a slightly longer barrel. The longer dwell time allows me to use slightly slower burning powders and heavy bullets. I have more options to adjust powder levels and velocity. Plus, muzzle flash can be manipulated as well.
    Last edited by waffentomas; 06-17-16 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    8", 8.5" and 9"

Feedback Score
    What length will your suppressor be? If you're getting a 7-8 inch suppressor try going shorter on the barrel like noveske 8.5

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IMO, anywhere from 7.5" to 9" is be fine, with a preference toward the shorter end.
    Last edited by Clint; 06-24-16 at 19:57.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I use a 1:7 twist 8 inch barrel from law guns. Works well
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I dont know if AAC is making uppers anymore so if I was going to buy an upper it would be a KAC, BCM, or Noveske which will all be around 9" or over. I personally see no need to go over 9" At the end of the day the minimum barrel length will be determined by the warranty of your suppressor. Most suppressors warranty 8-9". The AAC SDN6 which I would not recommend buying except for a few specific use cases warranty is for 7.5"

So I know it's at the back of the list but if you want to go short you need to put some thought into what suppressor you want to use.

The easy purchase is a BCM 9" upper. I dont have any personal experience with them but the 4 that I know for sure that will function all four ways is AAC, BCM, KAC, and Noveske. A lot of barrel makes do no R&D and think it's all good with a 1in8 barrel that does not have the proper gas port. I would only buy a 1in7 twist and make sure it runs all four ways - suppressed/subs, suppressed/supers, unsuppressed/subs, unsuppressed/supers. If you are going custom I would go a 1in6 twist if going under 9".
    Last edited by themonk; 06-25-16 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    8" noveske barrel if you build your own upper.
    Otherwise just buy a factory BCM 9" upper. Great uppers and come with BCG for like $700.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast