Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50yd ladder testing

Feedback Score

50yd ladder testing

I just ordered some 64gr nosler bsb and 62gr barnes tsx to try in my 6920. Whenever I'd done ladder tests it had been for scoped bolt rifles and I did it at 100 or 300yds. But I keep having a tough time getting a consisent precisionsight picture with the red dot on my rifle, to feel real comfortable doing an accurate ladder test at 100yds. Can I achieve the same results at 50yd do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Really tall order to ladder with a non-magnified RD for load development. Better off using iron sights or borrowing a scope off another rifle to test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with Boxerglocker. I believe 100 yards is close for a ladder test and I think it would be tough to base load development off a 50 yard test. I would try installing a scope or iron sights and test at a minimum of 100 yards.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    The scope on my bolt rifle is 6-24x50 with the low rings on it, I have to pull the whole forearm setup off,and can't get a good shoulder weld on the stock.

I've been debating getting a 3x magnifier, would that change things? I guess I could just run irons too, but then am worried about not being precise enough

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To me, you won't see the variation and/or dispersion needed at 50-yds to properly identify the node.

FWIW I'd temporarily scope it with a known/good scope for your load development. Having said that ... it may be doubtful that with the reddot you would wring all the potential out of premium reloads ...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    The scope on my bolt rifle is 6-24x50 with the low rings on it, I have to pull the whole forearm setup off,and can't get a good shoulder weld on the stock.

I've been debating getting a 3x magnifier, would that change things? I guess I could just run irons too, but then am worried about not being precise enough

Depending on the size of your dot, it could help. I personally if going that route wouldn't use the center of the dot as my POA but rather the top of the dots perimeter. That way you have a more consistent repeatable sight picture.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't try ladder testing until around 400 yards load delovopment at 100 sure just not ladder testing. OCW testing I do at a 100 all the time looking for nodes but ladder testing would be very tough to see the variations in volosity at only 100 yards

Feedback Score
    I have the red dot sighted in for the top of the dot at 100yds. I just have a tough time with a fine sight picture for somewhat precision work and reliably at 100 with it. Maybe a better target will help a little, any ideas on a good 100yd rds target?

The ocw is the way to go with what I want. It's not a precision rifle, and these loads are going to be for inside 150yds. I'd forgotten about ocw, it's been a long time since I've had to build a load for a rifle.

Feedback Score

50yd ladder testing

Get this type of target. You should center your red dot in the middle using the black circle as a reference. I can shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards with an Aimpoint Pro using this target. I do flip my rear sight up to counter my astigmatism when I am doing precision shots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get one of those cheap risers so you can mount your 6x24 scope on it temporarily to get a much better outcome. Also you could use the riser in the future for other load development. I doubt it would be more than 20 bucks and keep you from wasting ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast