Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barrel break in

Feedback Score

barrel break in

some of you might find a recent thread interesting. I've been documenting my break in process with pictures on another forum.

The result on these two barrels, to date, has been representative of most past barrels in my experience.

In short, i postulate that a short break in process is conducive to low SDs by eliminating copper fouling as a variable. (i make no claims regarding accuracy, though tighter velocity spreads obviously affect vertical dispersion at longer ranges)

On one barrel, i document the break in, then clean again at various intervals, after 25 rounds, up to a couple hundred, to demonstrate that copper does not build up after break in.

On the other barrel, I document the break in (2 rounds), then just shoot it, and am up to 400 rounds (as of today).
    At 182 rounds, I chrono'd and got

which is a 4 FPS ES and a 1 SD.

At 390-400 rounds, I chrono'd and got an ES of 11 and SD of 3 FPS. The point being, the barrel hasn't been cleaned since the 2nd round. So, 398 rounds since it was cleaned, and it's still shooting low single digit ES. AND, once the velocity stabilized, from 182 to 400 rounds, the Mean has only moved 2 FPS.

you can read the thread here http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=797080. feedback on either site is welcome.

If anyone can demonstrate similar results with a copper fouled barrel, i would be interested in seeing it. It should be relatively easy since so many people "just shoot it" with no cleaning whatsoever. That's not a challenge to anyone's manhood; just genuine interest in the topic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the info on the other site thread... I have a non-hand-lapped Faxon 18" barrel about to have its first shots and was wondering what method of the hundreds out there I would be using, if any at all (just shoot it). Yours is easy enough, and it seems effective. Maybe less than a hours time and done... I think I will do your method.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    If anyone can demonstrate similar results with a copper fouled barrel, i would be interested in seeing it. It should be relatively easy since so many people "just shoot it" with no cleaning whatsoever. That's not a challenge to anyone's manhood; just genuine interest in the topic.
    Taliv,

I had been following your thread on thehighroad, and your practice and results mimic mine and those of others with whom I shoot who use hand lapped stainless barrels. A few shots to "clean up" the tool marks in the throat and thats it, then shoot until accuracy falls off to determine how dirty the barrel likes to be.

As for your request, do you mean with regards to an aftermarket hand lapped stainless barrel? It seems like a long shot with a factory barrel. I too would be interested to see those results, though I don't plan to volunteer any of my new barrels

Feedback Score
    i'm not picky. if someone can do it with a factory barrel, great! i was expecting a hand lapped barrel from someone like bartlein, krieger, etc. I actually have some bartlein barrels that i didn't break in for various reasons and they shot great, but i never got tight ES/SD with them. could be coincidence. that's why i'd like to hear others' experience.

to be honest, i suspect it has a lot more to do with the quality of the reamer and skill of the gunsmith than the hand lapping or quality of the barrel. i.e. if you took a blank from a 'cheap' barrel maker and had a good smith chamber it with a fresh sharp reamer, i'd bet it would clean up just fine. after all, the reamer is going to cut away all that smooth lapping in the chamber/throat anyway so the new surface of the throat. and i don't think the copper solvent cares how smooth the bore is.

Feedback Score
    Your ES/SD is not from fouling.....

Feedback Score
    sorry, i can't seem to make any sense of your post. what are you trying to say?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    sorry, i can't seem to make any sense of your post. what are you trying to say?
    I think that's his way of saying it's your reloading skills/methods.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Well the reason I think it's the copper is when I don't do break in I don't get these results. I can get them for a few rounds if I clean then foul it back in but it doesn't last long before the sd go up to 7-9 and ES goes to 15-20.
    That's not the end of the world or anything but there seems to be a difference. So I'm still curious what others experience. Thanks

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I've got a Krieger showing up in a few days. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono so I'm not sure what help I could be. I think for my last Krieger I cleaned it once after every shot for the first five and then let it ride for like 200 rounds or so. I can't recall specifically though.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I've got a Krieger showing up in a few days. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono so I'm not sure what help I could be. I think for my last Krieger I cleaned it once after every shot for the first five and then let it ride for like 200 rounds or so. I can't recall specifically though.
    You will find that you get a small amount of copper even after a good break in with that Krieger, it is from the gas port. You can figure out when you are only getting the copper from the gas port and not the throat by using a proof positive jag from Bore Tech (wont give false indication of Copper) and by making a small mark on your cleaning rod to reference when the patch passes the gas port. Count the revolutions of the rod, and when it comes out you will see a small spot of copper on the corresponding side of the patch.

Also, enjoy that Krieger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast