Thread: New A2 CAR lightweight build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New A2 CAR lightweight build

I just finished AR-15 #42 in my collection. I had an old DPMS lower laying around that I replaced and I wanted to do something with it. I had to think about what I did not have. Well, an A2 CAR lightweight came to mind, so I did one. I bought a CAR mil-spec 4-pos. buttstock assembly from Model 1 Sales. I have used a few of these on retro AR builds and they are great. I used one of the many A2 pistol grips I have had laying around and finished the lower assembly. I, then, ordered a charging handle and 16" A2 CAR lightweight upper assembly (1/9, chrome-lined) from Model 1 Sales. BTW, I have been impressed with M1S barrels for some time now. I used an older semi-auto AR-15 BCG I had. The UPS truck came in just a short time ago and I quickly snapped everything together. Here it is. All together, about $625 into it counting what I paid for the lower to begin with.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    If only you drilled to place a sear block it would be a good clone. But great job reciever matching.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I just finished AR-15 #42 in my collection. I had an old DPMS lower laying around that I replaced and I wanted to do something with it. I had to think about what I did not have. Well, an A2 CAR lightweight came to mind, so I did one. I bought a CAR mil-spec 4-pos. buttstock assembly from Model 1 Sales. I have used a few of these on retro AR builds and they are great. I used one of the many A2 pistol grips I have had laying around and finished the lower assembly. I, then, ordered a charging handle and 16" A2 CAR lightweight upper assembly (1/9, chrome-lined) from Model 1 Sales. BTW, I have been impressed with M1S barrels for some time now. I used an older semi-auto AR-15 BCG I had. The UPS truck came in just a short time ago and I quickly snapped everything together. Here it is. All together, about $625 into it counting what I paid for the lower to begin with.

I might be copying you on this build. It looks great and that's an awesome price. I told my buddy today that I wanted to build a on old school carbine. I'd like to do an A1 slick side upper but that will add to the price!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I might be copying you on this build. It looks great and that's an awesome price. I told my buddy today that I wanted to build a on old school carbine. I'd like to do an A1 slick side upper but that will add to the price!
    You basically have a few choices for a slickside upper receiver - Fulton Armory, Nodak Spud, and a Colt original 604 upper. The Fulton is in black only. The Nodak Spud is available in XM Gray. The Colt 604 will be in whatever condition you get it and will usually be in the XM Gray. You will still have to source your barrel separately. If you intend on using a modern A2 lower, you may want to consider the Fulton Armory slickside upper so that the finishes will match a lot closer.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    For the price I see the Colt uppers I might just pull this off my 9mm build and sell the bbl or put it on a flat top upper. I think I might have to have a gas tube hole drilled too and of course I would change out the dust cover. If I buy right I can swap it off the flat top I buy.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree