Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the 300 AAC bring to the table other than suppression?

Feedback Score

What does the 300 AAC bring to the table other than suppression?

Let's disregard the advantages when it comes to suppressing it. I'm talking about a 16" barrel wringing the most velocity out of it you can. The 125gr loads are close to 7.62x39 velocity-wise (2200fps vs 2350fps) and right there weight-wise. The 147-150gr loads are like a .308 at distance.

Other than maybe simulating 7.62x39 without funky mags and steel-cased ammo, what are the non-suppression advantages of 300 AAC? I just don't see it given the cost of adding a whole new caliber into my fold.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    In a 16" gun; 30 cal, thats it.

300 is designed 1st for SBRs and 2nd for suppression and the ability to go back and forth between subs and supers without a gas change. If you want a super short SBR you should run blackout.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yup. It doesn't offer superior ballistics (external or terminal) to 5.56 until you get below about 10-12 inches of barrel. At 8-9", BLK offers decent performance and moderate muzzle blast, and you can get suppressors rated to handle it in those lengths. That's what it was made for, and that's the only area where it really shines: making a suppressed AR that's about the same length as a standard 14.5" carbine, but still has some oomph. And you can shoot subsonic for giggles.

For a 12"+ gun, the only reason to get it over 5.56 is to shoot subsonic with a can. Now, subs are fun, but hardly effective. There are very few .308 bullets that expand well at under 1000fps, but .45 ACP carbines offer an enormous selection of highly effective ammunition.

Now, 220SMK and other heavy subs do have superior external ballistics to .45. Plinking with them is a riot, and doing it semi-auto is fun. But in a 16"+ 300BLK, I prefer a bolt gun. Ruger and Remington both have one, and they are hugely quieter for the shooter than an AR. It's basically like shooting the most badass pellet gun ever.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sturmgewehr 44 or AK-47 equivalency in an AR package, we must be pretty spoiled if that is not enough.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-31-16 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Introducing the Advanced Armament Corp. 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK). This system was developed to launch 30 caliber projectiles from the AR platform without a reduction in magazine capacity and compatible with the standard bolt.

Full power 115-125 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK, and eclipses 5.56mm with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target. Or choose subsonic cartridges for optimal use with a sound suppressor - 220 grain Sierra OTM (open-tip match) bullets vastly outperforms a 9mm MP5-SD in penetration and long range accuracy.

Ammo and brass prices are low - Remington 115 grain UMC ammo is $12.99 a box MSRP - and it is not bare bones. It has waterproofed primers, crimped and cannelured open-tip match bullets, and a low-drag design.

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

For hunting - think of it as like a 30-30 but from an AR. After you are done, you can remove your 5-round magazine and put in a 30 for plinking or home defense. For ammo, Remington has you covered with the Premiere AccuTip 125 grain. Want industry-wide support? Over 60 companies have already announced or sell products.

Due to the high efficiency of the cartridge, less powder is used than 5.56mm, which results in a rifle that is a comfortable to shoot - even with a short barrel.

DESIGN OBJECTIVES
    • Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for the AR platform
    • Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity
    • Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
    • Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62x39 ballistics
    • Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
    • Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package

REASONS 7.62x39 WAS NOT CONSIDERED
    Extreme cartridge taper
    • Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
    • Reduces Magazine capacity
    • Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    • Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    Limited projectile selection
    • 0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This PDF will give you a ton of info - http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-blk.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk
    eclipses 5.56mm with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target
    I'm going to call BS on that. In theory, it should be able to, but in reality, there's only ONE factory offering that is universally agreed to be acceptable for superior terminal perforance against anything other than varmints and that's the barnes 110gr VOR-TX. There may be a few other specialty rounds that also perform favorably, possibly, but they are disturbingly expensive and/or not offered for commercial sale. Subs fair no better, their advantage is lower decibal level than 5.56.

Hell, it's only JUST NOW getting cheap plinking ammo, and that's strictly remanufactured fmj pulls.

Also, pretty sure the .300 whisper was created to 'cheat' the competition scene/system and get an AR into the game, nothing more. AAC's re-release and branding of the round just got the benefit of better advertising and a saami/public standard.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I'm going to call BS on that. In theory, it should be able to, but in reality, there's only ONE factory offering that is universally agreed to be acceptable for superior terminal perforance against anything other than varmints and that's the barnes 110gr VOR-TX. There may be a few other specialty rounds that also perform favorably, possibly, but they are disturbingly expensive and/or not offered for commercial sale. Subs fair no better, their advantage is lower decibal level than 5.56.

Hell, it's only JUST NOW getting cheap plinking ammo, and that's strictly remanufactured fmj pulls.

Also, pretty sure the .300 whisper was created to 'cheat' the competition scene/system and get an AR into the game, nothing more. AAC's re-release and branding of the round just got the benefit of better advertising and a saami/public standard.
    Whats your point?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Whats your point?
    .300 Blackout burns it's pinch of pistol powder better and quieter within ~8" of barrel than 5.56 and pushes heavier/larger bullet than 5.56. That's it. Nothing more. Also, it's history is far less glorious than made out to be above.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 01-31-16 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was thinking about this today. I had been building a 300 blk SBR to use for home defense with supers and fun with subs, but am coming to the the conclusion that it just won't be worth it.

There may be more potential terminal effect than 5.56, but there isn't really any scientific study of performance of loads like there is with 5.56, where there has been a lot of professional testing done for the FBI/law enforcement and a huge variety of tested barrier blind loads.

I also realized that suppressed a 8.5" 300 blk, was going to be just as long as my 11.5" 5.56 with a mini can. While the 300 blk would most likely be, quieter, my current setup is sufficient.

As far as suppressed for fun, a 9mm or even .22 will be much cheaper to run subs through. I could probably feed them for less than I can even reload 300 blk subs (and I don't currently have reloading equipment). To me, cheaper ammo= more ammo= more fun. I would have to get different mags if I am going to run those in an ar based rig, but I was going to get a separate type of mag strictly for 300blk anyway

As far as hunting goes, while I don't hunt currently, I am thinking of getting into it, but 300blk just doesn't cut it for most hunting where I live (New Mexico). As far as 300blk being equivalent to 30-30; no, no not really, unless you consider .380 to be equivalent to 9mm, or 30-30 equivalent to .308 (does this mean that 300blk is equivalent to .308?).

In fact I am going to sell the 300blk barrel I got or partially complete upper this week.

Your circumstances may be different of course.
    Last edited by stahljaeger; 01-31-16 at 23:47.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast