Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windham SRC-308 or Armalite DEF10 AR-10?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Windham SRC-308 or Armalite DEF10 AR-10?

Looking at both of these. They both come in at about $1000. BOTH use SR-25 style mags. Looking for something to fill the role of a PTR-91. I'm leaning towards the Windham, as I like the barrel profile a tad better, the front gas block is same height, the QD socket is nice, and the it appears more..."tank like". The upper receiver difference between the two is pretty striking. Although the Armalite might be easier to add rails too since the gas block is lower....

Anyone with first hand accounts of either?

Armalite:

Caliber 7.62X51 mm / .308
    Barrel 16" double lapped, chrome lined / chrome moly
    Mid-length gas system
    Rifling Twist 1:11.25” RH
    Muzzle Device Flash suppressor
    Front Sight Base MIL-STD 1913 rail gas block. Top of gas block is .398 (+/- .010)
    Handguard Standard 8"
    Stock 6-position collapsible
    Upper Receiver Forged flat-top receiver with MIL-STD 1913 rail and forward assist 7175-T74 aluminum
    Lower Receiver 7175-T73 aluminum (forged)
    Trigger Single-stage
    Charging Handle Standard
    Finish Anodized aluminum upper/lower receiver, manganese phosphated steel barrel
    Overall Length 35.0" / 38.3"
    Weight 7.9 lbs.
    Included One 20-round Magpul Pmag, owner’s manual
    Warranty Limited lifetime warranty

Windham:
    Last edited by azeriosu85; 03-10-16 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the Aramlite AR-10A DEF10 (technically mine is a different model #, but the exact same configuration prior to the name change).
    So far so good. I like it. It's not a precision rifle, that's for sure, but then again I have only run bulk ammo through it. Also, the barrel profile is pretty darn light.
    For blasting .308 within 300 meters, it does the job. No failures so far.

I have no experience with the Windham. The barrel profile is thicker, so maybe it would be more precise, who knows.

All I know is that one of the first things I would ditch is the gas block on both. **** railed gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    I also went ArmaLite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The DEF10 does have a lightweight profile barrel and I really like it!

Very handy. I've felt plenty of 5.56 AR's that were muzzle heavy and sluggish in caparison.

All I've done with mine is fit a magpul MOE mid-length hand guard and some of their rail pieces on it, an MOE grip, add a sling and a 1-3x scope to it. Oh, and a medium "gunfighter" charging handle.

I learned with previous .308 rifles that nearly all .308/7.62x51 "M80", "Nato spec", etc. 147 gr FMJ ammo is just machine gun ammo meant to be spat out of same. It's all 3-5 MOA stuff.

The furthest out I've fired my DEF10 was from a sandbag to 200 yds. It puts five shots under four inches at that range with good ammo. (Factory hunting and "match")I'm no great rifle shot and I was using a 3x20mm scope. AND mediocre "GI" trigger AND had a wobbly M4 telestock, too. There is plenty left in the gun I could be taking advantage of. I since tightened up the stock using the duct tape method, installed a better trigger, too. But I've only fired it at close range since those mods.

I've had zero malfunctions. (I've fired quite a bit of JSP's through it, too) I've only used 20 and 25 rnd Pmags.

I'd wager the Windham Weaponry rifle is just fine, too.

I don't plan on doing anything with the railed gas block or A2 FH. If I ever decided to go to a one-piece handguard I'd replace it with a low-profile gas block.

I wanted a reliable, reasonably accurate .308 AR for close to medium range use that wasn't heavy or bulky and this 16-inch DEF-10 is just that.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-11-16 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    One of my work teammates bought a Windham last year. For the $$$ it's a great rifle. it will do 2 MOA with ZQI ball ammo from walmart - better with good quality ammo. Only reliability issue has been with a suppressor - Windham recommended an adjustable gas block.

He has the version with a factory installed low profile gas block and a 15" MI rail.

I have an older Armalite, a 1990s vintage, M14 mag version. Great gun. The guns been back to the factory for upgrades twice over the years. Armalite customer service has been great as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is an older AR-10 carbine with the GI M14-ish profile barrel. It shot pretty well, even better now with a match barrel.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    This is an older AR-10 carbine with the GI M14-ish profile barrel. It shot pretty well, even better now with a match barrel.

Unfortunately both Larue and DD have discontinued the Armalite 1913 rails. MI, Centurion and Wilson all offer Armalite pattern FF handguards.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    One of my work teammates bought a Windham last year. For the $$$ it's a great rifle. it will do 2 MOA with ZQI ball ammo from walmart - better with good quality ammo. Only reliability issue has been with a suppressor - Windham recommended an adjustable gas block.

He has the version with a factory installed low profile gas block and a 15" MI rail.

I have an older Armalite, a 1990s vintage, M14 mag version. Great gun. The guns been back to the factory for upgrades twice over the years. Armalite customer service has been great as well.
    My buddy also has the Windham with the MI rail and 16" barrel. It's run flawlessly so far. He put a Lantac Dragon and an MFT stock on it, and it shoots like a completely different rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Unfortunately both Larue and DD have discontinued the Armalite 1913 rails. MI, Centurion and Wilson all offer Armalite pattern FF handguards.
    There's also Armalite itself, which has introduced several free-floated KeyMod handguards for their AR-10s, which don't look too bad.
    A member here posted a thread about it a bit ago. I'll try to find it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I own an older Armalite. I shot it quite a bit, it had a short barrel and brake on a SS barrel. I bought it secondhand, so no telling what it had done, but it never fouled up for me. Eventually I sold the upper, and bought a 21" N6 upper to put on, but the lower has continued no signs of trouble. My only gripe is that I wish it had the more common SR25 magazine pattern, but that doesn't really apply here.

No experience with the Windham. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast