Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some old school .45ACP shooting irons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Some old school .45ACP shooting irons

Back in the early 1990's I picked up a S&W 1917 Brazilian 1937 contract pistol for a song. Awesome revolver. Great to shoot. Solid old school heavy metal.

After getting it and spending some range time with it, I knew I needed to pick up a Colt 1917 to complete things.

A while back I stumbled on a Colt New Service Canadian issue .455 Eley converted to .45 Colt. It was nice, but I was trying to reduce the calibers I was shooting and I sold it a year or so later.

A few weeks back, this Colt 1917 popped up locally. It was reblued which hurt the value and I think kept collectors at bay, but I was more concerned about the mechanical condition and shooting it. I also thought the reblue came out nice. The grayish patina going with the age of the revolver. This one has solid timing, good lock up, and the trigger is awesome thanks to the replacement main spring.

Last edited by mrbieler; 03-06-16 at 18:47.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I also snagged one of those Brazilian re-imports back in the 90's. A local guy was chopping the barrel to about 3 inches, converting them to round butt and DAO, bobbing the hammer and then adding a set of Pachmayr's.

You loaded it up with a full moon clip of those old Speer 200-grain "flying ashtray" rounds. That was supposed to be "teh hotnezz" back then.

It was a great pistol to drop in the outer pocket of your topcoat, and travel about the winter landscape. It actually shot even better with the new crown on the barrel, too.

I'd hate to try a conversion like that now, it would not be cost effective. But a part of me misses that big heavy beast.

Feedback Score
    If someone wouldn't have said that the Colt was reblued I would have never guessed. Whoever did that that reblue did a hell of a job with it.

I still have a longing for a .45 ACP revolver to add to the wheel gun collection. Maybe one day...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I also snagged one of those Brazilian re-imports back in the 90's. A local guy was chopping the barrel to about 3 inches, converting them to round butt and DAO, bobbing the hammer and then adding a set of Pachmayr's.

You loaded it up with a full moon clip of those old Speer 200-grain "flying ashtray" rounds. That was supposed to be "teh hotnezz" back then.

It was a great pistol to drop in the outer pocket of your topcoat, and travel about the winter landscape. It actually shot even better with the new crown on the barrel, too.

I'd hate to try a conversion like that now, it would not be cost effective. But a part of me misses that big heavy beast.
    That's like my Holy Grail of Revolvers.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    And like a complete and utter moron, I sold it.

Sigh......

Feedback Score
    I made that mistake with my first S&W 1917. Fortunately I found a Brazilian contract that had been refinished and was in great shape to replace it.
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have allways liked the old 1917 Smiths since they were 29.95 in the 60s. Always figured they would stillbe there at the same dirt-cheap prices when I got through picking up cooler stuff like cheap 1911s and newer .44 Magnum whatevers. Well, I guessed wrong, big timed. Now ones like I would have wanted back then are $1000 and up. They're nice old busters, but let's not get ridicuoous about it!

Although I'd really like to have one out of someone's sock drawer for pocket change, it's unlikely to happen. Add to that that N frames are, in fact, a bit too large for my small to medium hands, and I'm not likely to bite anymore. I watched a nice nickelled new production Model 22 go by the other day for about 9 bills.. Very pretty, but I already have a 24-3 that I don't use much as it is.

What I do have, and works for me, is a 1998 vintage NM Ruger Vaquero Convertible 4 5/8" that outshoots me all day long with .45 ACPs at a fraction of the price of those old timers, and that fits me. With adjustable sights to boot. So 1917 Smiths are just one of those things that I like but seem able to get along without.

Now if one showed up on my doorstep, I'd certainly make room in my gun safe for it somehow...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And like a complete and utter moron, I sold it.

Sigh......
    Damn it! I was hoping for a picture.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very nice, love big wheel guns great pics.

Ed

Feedback Score
    Nice. Looks like you lifted them out of an old photograph of men with big hats who wore their bullets. Viva la Revolucion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast