Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a single shot .22.

Feedback Score

Need help with a single shot .22.

So my first son was born earlier this year, and I want to buy a single shot to put in the safe until he's old enough to use it; I like the idea of giving him a rifle manufactured in his birth year. I don't have a clue when it comes to rimfire rifles, and I didn't see anything when I did a search. Not really worried about price, I just want a quality single shot for him to learn with. Any suggestions with accompanying experiences would be most appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Look for one of the " Cricket" single shots, they are built for children and can grow with them
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the CVA line of shotgun type break open rifles and shotguns. If a .22 lr is not offered, you can have a CVA .410 shotgun version relined and converted to .22 lr. Your total cost would be around $500 including cost of the original CVA .410. If interested, pm me so I can provide you the gun smith's name. Later other barrels can be made--from scratch-- for this frame. The machinist can recommend a suitable CVA frame if one of the shotgun ones were not suitable for additions later. This way would provide the child with a first class rifle.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    Look for one of the " Cricket" single shots, they are built for children and can grow with them
    This. I have bought a pair of Cricket's. One for a godson, and the other for my granddaughter.

They have both been a decent purchase for the price paid.

Feedback Score
    I've been happy with my Rossi Youth Combo set ( 22LR & 20Gauge) that I got when my boy was about 5 or 6. It shoots pretty straight and has been a good way to train both the wife and son.

In all honesty the 20 Gauge is essentially worthless, the gun is so light that it kicks harder than my 870 12 Gauge, but it was cheaper to buy the "combo" version locally, than to buy just the 22LR on Gunbroker.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There are also Henry Repeaters which seem pretty cool and I've only seen good things. I'd have one already if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to buy guns here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    From what I was told, the Henry does not allow one to drop a round in and close the bolt, but rather requires the shooter to start the shell into the chamber and then close the bolt on it. Makes it a little more of a manual function if you want the extra step in the loading process.

My grandpa restored a Remington improved model 6 for my first 22. Still have it today. I just shoot shorts out of it, but that will be the one my kids learn on.

You can still find them once in awhile. Our local cabelas had a oak barrel full of them. Neat little guns and fit kids perfect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8KAJezjvg

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/584513886

I would do one of these before a cricket. Also be easier to cock instead of pulling the plunger back.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 09-18-16 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    I own a Savage Mark I and my kids have a Henry Mini Bolt that their uncle bought them. I think the Savage is a much nicer rifle than the Mini Bolt. The Savage works like a center fire rifle as it cocks when you work the bolt. The Mini Bolt and Cricket you have to work the bolt and cock the cocking knob. I dislike having to manually put a round in the barrel/chamber with the Mini Bolt, it's annoying and is a pain in the ass in colder temps when you have cold fingers or gloves on. The Savage also has much nicer machining than the Mini Bolt and just feels higher quality.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm about to buy my son a CZ 452 Scout, as I am very impressed with the quality of CZ bolt .22s.
    He's been learning on the 15/22 (really good for LOP due to the collapsing stock), and is ready for his own now that he's big enough that the fixed LOP on the Scout won't be an impediment.
    The reason that I decided on the 452 over something like a cricket is that the action can be re-stocked as he grows and will still be a high quality .22 that will last a lifetime.
    I decided against the cricket type guns as they will be quickly outgrown, and wind up purposeless in the face of the rest of the rifle collection.
    I also really like the other CZ .22s, and continually fight back the urge to get another .22 for myself. Will probably still happen...
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I picked up a Rossi 22lr/12ga combo for about 117 New.

They were discontinuing this model number / combo designation and, I think it was Buds, had them on clearance for dirt cheap.

The price is not consistent with the firearm, I feel the finish is up to far, the fit is solid. My only complaints would be on the machine work, you can see certain areas, hidden from the eye (so really no big deal) that just are a little rough. But nothing that would effect accuracy, and I am confident a lot of that will smooth out after lots of use. We've sent a few hundred through it already with great results.

It's ready for the nephew to receive once he is old enough for me to be confident in his ownership.

For now, it's just his "favorite" .22 rifle and he understands the importance of being able to use both the separate barrels for it.

He will be getting some Rabbits with it this weekend for Free Youth Hunting weekend. You can get the "youth" size and add to the length later with a new stock set, if ever needed.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-21-16 at 14:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast