Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPR-ish build questions

FaxonNathan Guest
    Looks like one of our 18" barrels if I recognize the roll marks?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes it is. Currently it's back at Faxon to try to work out some bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok, so news from Faxon with video proof: nothing is wrong... Not sure why I was having issues, but whatever they were, they do not exist anymore. Good news for me!

New question: should I ditch the Imod and go with a PRS? From what I gather, that would mean ditching the A5 system as well and going with a rifle tube and buffer. I'd like to keep A5's on all my rifles, but I'd really like to have the PRS on this one for a more precision style gun. Latest news is that Magpul is releasing an A5 compatible version late this year, but that's still almost a year away. For those of you that have one, is it worth it?

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    Ok, so news from Faxon with video proof: nothing is wrong... Not sure why I was having issues, but whatever they were, they do not exist anymore. Good news for me!

New question: should I ditch the Imod and go with a PRS? From what I gather, that would mean ditching the A5 system as well and going with a rifle tube and buffer. I'd like to keep A5's on all my rifles, but I'd really like to have the PRS on this one for a more precision style gun. Latest news is that Magpul is releasing an A5 compatible version late this year, but that's still almost a year away. For those of you that have one, is it worth it?

We opened your gas port .004" and it was locking back perfectly. Just one of those builds right on the hairy edge of function that needed some TLC.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post

Either one, they are both pretty good but the PRS may balance your rifle out a bit better. If I were you, I'd wait until the new PRS is released. I didn't already have an A5 so I bought the current PRS and rifle tube, but if I did I would have waited.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    We opened your gas port .004" and it was locking back perfectly. Just one of those builds right on the hairy edge of function that needed some TLC.
    Ok, that's great! I really appreciate your help and the awesome customer service you guys provide. Can't wait to get back out to shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Either one, they are both pretty good but the PRS may balance your rifle out a bit better. If I were you, I'd wait until the new PRS is released. I didn't already have an A5 so I bought the current PRS and rifle tube, but if I did I would have waited.
    I hate waiting, but this one sounds like it'll be worth it... Is it time yet!?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Got the rifle back from Faxon on Friday, got out to test fire it yesterday. Problem solved! Thank you

Range report to come. I didn't have a chance to do any grouping yet. I have a few different loads to test. 69gr SMK's with rl-15, Tac, and H335, MK262 Black Hills, and the Nosler MK262 clone.

Feedback Score
    Do you like shorter stocks? I like my PRS because of adjustability, but it is never going to be shorter than rifle length. Yes it adds nice balance and adjustability.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

SPR-ish build questions

So I decided to go a little different route with my upper. I am building a form 1 suppressor, so I decided to change things up a bit to be more suppressor friendly. Instead of just going the easy route and getting an adjustable gas block, I decided I wanted a Noveske Switchblock! I wanted to stay with an 18" barrel because I still wanted it to be a precision build and I wanted to go with a stainless barrel. I went with a Noveske SPR 18" medium contour barrel. I decided to go against a Kreiger, et al, due to lead times and the additional cost of a gas block, tube, block pinning service, etc.

Due to the cumbersome size of the gas switchblock, I also had to deal with the rail. I had two options: I could cut my 15" KMR to fit, or I could try to find a suitable 11.0" handguard to fit behind it. After deciding my machine skills with a dremel were subpar, I decided to forego idea one. I landed on the LaRue quad rail, which is nothing short of impressive and fits like a glove.

For now, until my stamp goes through, I have my AFAB muzzle device on and stuck with the 2.5-10x42mm NF optics. Both the scope and the bipod are on LaRue mounts. Still waiting for the new PRS to be released so I can stick with my A5 system.

Last edited by The FNG; 03-25-16 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That is an excellent choice for a suppressed SPR.

I almost went that route but needed the extra 2" velocity and with the new Gemtech carrier decided I'd bite the Krieger bullet and see how it turned out. The only fault I have with the SB platform is the rail issue.

Can't wait to see how it shoots.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12