Thread: SA 1911 9mm , Light primer strikes ( random )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

SA 1911 9mm , Light primer strikes ( random )

OK my wife has a SA 9mm 1911 loaded model.

When been having a couple issues lately, the main was light prime strikes.

2-7 times with in a 100 rounds. when the hammer drops nothing happens, i can recock hammer, still nothing can do that for 3-4 times. Rack that round out, gun functions fine for awhile, put said round back in a mag a cycle it through it will just fine.

Have tried 3 different brands of ammo.

The primer has just the slightest impact , on one it looks it barely but a smudge mark on the primer.

Took slide apart inspected firing pin and channel, all seemed ok. Removed hammer spring and inspected. looked ok , but thing I noticed that may be a possible issue, the lock out devise that SA uses , could possibly have some rough edges that might be catching top spring plunger cup.( not sure if it could or not ).

But I wanted to ask you guys first about light primer strike in a 1911, any thoughts on what could cause that???

I tried searching but didn't come up with much.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1) Springfield's warranty dept. as a well earned reputation for satisfaction. Give 'em a call
    2) Have you changed the mainspring? To light?

Feedback Score
    Have already contacted them. Haven't heard back yet.

No haven't changed anything other then front sight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did you purchase the 1911 new? If it has the titanium firing pin, it requires the lighter SA firing pin spring. If someone replaced it with an extra power Wolff spring, it will cause issues.

If you believe the ILS is interfering with mainspring movement, you may want to remove the main spring housing components and clean them thoroughly. When I purchased a new R.O., the trigger pull was heavier than expected. I removed the mainspring and the related parts, cleaned the inside of the mainspring housing. I removed a lot of rust from the main spring housing. I lubed everything, reassembled the weapon and the trigger was noticeably smoother.

Springfield Armory has always treated me right and their customer service has been top notch in my opinion. Sometimes they get a little busy and it takes a few days for a response. I would keep after them. If they built it and no one has performed any Dremel gunsmithing on their pistol or rifle, Springfield Armory will make it right.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-12-16 at 13:13.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Yes bought it brand new.
    I did remove and disassemble the main spring housing. Was clean and lubed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only other possibility that comes to mind is the firing pin locking plunger may not be clearing the relief cut on the firing pin every time. This could be the result of dirt, a burr or a worn part.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    No firing pin plunger on a Springfield.

1) Get rid of the ILS. Use Colt, EGW, or Wilson mainspring cap and retaining pin.
    2) Get rid of the Ti firing pin and replace with an EGW .075" STEEL pin. It may need to be turned down to fit through the slide but that's easy with a hand drill and some emory cloth.
    3) Get rid of the XXXXXX heavy firing pin spring and replace with a Wolff standard (they call extra power standard) or Wolff Colt spec firing pin spring.
    4) Get a Wolff 18 or 19lb mainspring and keep it fresh.

Feedback Score
    Alright finally got it back from Springfield.
    Here is what they did.

1) replaced and pinned the ejector
    2) Tuned the the extractor
    3) replaced firing pin with a 9mm Ed Brown firing pin
    4) replaced plunger tube, ( not sure why that was replaced )
    5) blended rear of slide and frame. ( slide extended past the frame, by a good amount , really bugged me)

we will take out this weekend to test it.
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    No firing pin plunger on a Springfield.

1) Get rid of the ILS. Use Colt, EGW, or Wilson mainspring cap and retaining pin.
    2) Get rid of the Ti firing pin and replace with an EGW .075" STEEL pin. It may need to be turned down to fit through the slide but that's easy with a hand drill and some emory cloth.
    3) Get rid of the XXXXXX heavy firing pin spring and replace with a Wolff standard (they call extra power standard) or Wolff Colt spec firing pin spring.
    4) Get a Wolff 18 or 19lb mainspring and keep it fresh.
    This^^

Had one (SA 9 mm "Loaded")- and above is what worked for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So is this a problem with a lot of the SA 9mm's?