Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5" .308?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    The rubber hogue stock rem used on the aac is dumb. It contacts the barrel with regular forward force from a bipod.
    I assumed this was the first thing to be replaced, perhaps along with the trigger. I looked at this model as a donor action/barrel, with the stock being range use only. It's apparent Remington made too many compromises to make this particular set up feasible. Like all things, buy once, cry once. Looking at GAP's website....gonna cry some big tears, I think lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for what you are thinking. If you are talking deer hunting with normal shots being 200 yards or less? That rifle is more the capable. I've owned one of the 20" and 16.5", have a couple of friends who have them as well. The weak spot on the rifle is the stock, but if you are shooting off hand or not really loading the bipod you shouldn't have any problems with the hogue stock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine shoots lights out with 168 federal gold medal match ammo..

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lol

Shim the stock.

That's the problem!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lol

Shim the stock.

That's the problem!
    The stock is obviously most likely the problem to me and you. Especially by the group card that Remington sent him back. I don’t read anywhere here in this thread that the Max713 is actually convinced. Just making a suggestion that I know will work help him isolate the stock issue and verify the potential of his particular rifle.
    I know the suggested shimming works well enough it will answer his doubts on the rifle.
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 02-06-16 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Did you see the very first reply? I had my action bedded and placed in an HS precision stock and it did nothing for the accuracy. The barrel was garbage.

People telling me the stock was the problem caused me to keep pouring money into something that should have been thrown in the garbage.

I'm very bitter that I have a factory Remington action right now instead of a Surgeon
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-06-16 at 10:17.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Did you see the very first reply? I had my action bedded and placed in an HS precision stock and it did nothing for the accuracy. The barrel was garbage.

People telling me the stock was the problem caused me to keep pouring money into something that should have been thrown in the garbage.

I'm very bitter that I have a factory Remington action right now instead of a Surgeon
    On YOUR particular rifle perhaps... but the suggestion was not directed at you but to Max713. He has a group card from Remington that shows a perhaps one inch group at a unknown distance. My suggestion is to shim the stock shoot it at 100 yards with decent ammo and see where it takes him, then decide if it has the POTENTIAL to be worthy of pouring money into it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

How much did it cost again, from no bolt action to what you have now, not including scope, rings and bipod.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Got to do a little testing today.

The first group, although about half the size of before the "servicing", did not look promising.
    This was with freedommunitions, 150gr. All shot at 100 yards.

Moved on to some handloads, this was the second best group.
    168gr Nosler BTHP
    H335 40.0gr

0.94" at 100 yards

The rifles favorite load was a little hotter.
    168 BTHP
    H335 42.0gr

0.83" at 100 yards

So, end result is I'm happy. Whatever they did to the rifle, combined with my hand loads has turned it into an accurate rifle. Looking forward to what I can do with a replacement stock and further hand load development.

Feedback Score
    An unrelated success from the day, but an awesome one none-the-less...

This was shot with my BCM AR, at 50 yards with a 1.5-4 power scope.

This is 0.250" at 50 yards, with my hand load. Excited about this one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast