Thread: Any Problems With This Bolt Carrier Group Deal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Any Problems With This Bolt Carrier Group Deal?

What do you think?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod77791.aspx

$84.99

SPECS: Fits AR15. Carriers are machined from 8620 steel and properly heat treated. Bolts are machined from 9310 steel, are shot peened and magnetic particle inspected.

Kits include: AR15, gas key, gas key screws (2), stripped bolt, extractor, extractor spring w/ insert, extractor pin, ejector, ejector spring, ejector pin, bolt gas rings (3), firing pin retaining pin, firing pin and cam pin.

I'm asking because the price seems good and I like to put things together.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would use that BCG all day long, It would be a fun little project to assemble it too.

Feedback Score
    9310 "technically" isn't mil-spec. If that doesn't bother you go for it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You're paying $85 for a semiauto carrier and 9310 bolt, and you get to put it together. You could get better specs fully assembled from AIM Surplus at the same or lower price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...h=bolt+carrier

Other than that, it looks OK. From what I've read, there is more to properly installing the carrier key than just bolting it on.

Non-mil-spec BCGs are quite cheap and plentiful right now. And it's not an awful time to pick up a BCM or DD for slightly more money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SomeOtherGuy:

Thanks for the link, I've never done any business with them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Glad to help. I've got 1k rounds on a competition upper using the nickel-boron coated flavor of that same BCG from AIM. Not a long enough test to say it's especially good, but long enough to shake out any basic failures. For a non-critical gun I think they're a good value. I will also be testing their nitride-treated v2 BCG with a Faxon barrel in the near future.

Feedback Score
    I have had good luck with toolcraft BCG they are a direct military replacement for the colt BCG. Plus you do not have to assemble it.
    http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What do you think?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod77791.aspx

$84.99

SPECS: Fits AR15. Carriers are machined from 8620 steel and properly heat treated. Bolts are machined from 9310 steel, are shot peened and magnetic particle inspected.

Kits include: AR15, gas key, gas key screws (2), stripped bolt, extractor, extractor spring w/ insert, extractor pin, ejector, ejector spring, ejector pin, bolt gas rings (3), firing pin retaining pin, firing pin and cam pin.

I'm asking because the price seems good and I like to put things together.
    I see one problem with it. It is disassembled, but you noticed that as well. Do you have the proper tools to assemble the gas key properly? One of these:
    http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks
    , or these:
    http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks1
    Brownells sells a similar tool as well. The cheap comes out expensive when you buy the proper tools for the DIY. You can try to stake the screws by hand, but that will be quite a bit more tricky.
    If you'd like to have the tool anyway, then go for it. Be sure to read up on the proper method to assemble the gas key to the carrier before you have at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    I see one problem with it. It is disassembled, but you noticed that as well. Do you have the proper tools to assemble the gas key properly? One of these:
    http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks
    , or these:
    http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks1
    Brownells sells a similar tool as well. The cheap comes out expensive when you buy the proper tools for the DIY. You can try to stake the screws by hand, but that will be quite a bit more tricky.
    If you'd like to have the tool anyway, then go for it. Be sure to read up on the proper method to assemble the gas key to the carrier before you have at it.
    Yes, I know they are unassembled - that was one of the reasons I was considering the purchase, I like assembling things.

I am not too concerned about the 9130 steel versus Carpenter 158, the mil-spec was written what, 50 years ago? Has it always been C-158? Because, dang a lot of things have changed in steel production in 50 years. Some one posted a link to toolcraft and several people agreed the BCG was good to go as it was 8620, with a C-158 bolt, yet the only bolts they sell as separate items are made of 9130. Just one example of many.

I have the Michigan MOAKS as well as numerous other cool guy tools for the AR - most of which I don't really need.

I've only been doing the AR build thing for about 4 years, so sometimes I still ask dumb stuff, I honestly didn't catch that the Brownells bolt carriers were semi-auto. That is the only thing that has me on the fence, and that is only because I may sell these builds and when I disclose that, some folks may shy away.

Ultimately I'll probably get the Brownells kits unless someone relates a bad experience.

Thanks for the advice.

The great thing about asking questions like this is you pick up stuff you didn't intend to - I've never used a couple of the places linked to, now I'll be checking them before purchases.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Yes, I know they are unassembled - that was one of the reasons I was considering the purchase, I like assembling things.

I am not too concerned about the 9130 steel versus Carpenter 158, the mil-spec was written what, 50 years ago? Has it always been C-158? Because, dang a lot of things have changed in steel production in 50 years. Some one posted a link to toolcraft and several people agreed the BCG was good to go as it was 8620, with a C-158 bolt, yet the only bolts they sell as separate items are made of 9130. Just one example of many.

I have the Michigan MOAKS as well as numerous other cool guy tools for the AR - most of which I don't really need.

I've only been doing the AR build thing for about 4 years, so sometimes I still ask dumb stuff, I honestly didn't catch that the Brownells bolt carriers were semi-auto. That is the only thing that has me on the fence, and that is only because I may sell these builds and when I disclose that, some folks may shy away.

Ultimately I'll probably get the Brownells kits unless someone relates a bad experience.

Thanks for the advice.

The great thing about asking questions like this is you pick up stuff you didn't intend to - I've never used a couple of the places linked to, now I'll be checking them before purchases.
    Yes, I know that you know they are disassembled, as I stated. My point was if you have the tools, time, and inclination, then go for it. The knowledge base here has pointed out the quality differences for similar products at that same price point. Personally, I'd go Toolcraft for that amount, but that's just me.