Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Magazine Springs

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Back during the ban, hell yeah. Many old black follower and soft spring replaced with green, then later Magpul followers got those old mags going again.

These days I'm more inclined to toss out the mag and grab a new one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've replaced mag springs in high use training mags. Like others said, by the time you need a new spring it's often time or a good idea to replace the mag body.

For an extended use replacement, I've had a batch of Ken Elmore's red springs in use for 10+ years. Some have been through several mag bodies.
    http://www.specializedarmament.com/c..._issue_96.html
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBond View Post
    With magazines being as cheap as they are, buying expensive springs as spares makes no sense.
    I purchased my Wolff springs before the AWB sunset in September '04. And then we still have Americans living behind enemy lines in ban states.

Magazines are a disposable commodity unless there is a ban in place where one can obtain new inexpensive mags. If the feed lip geometry and or the body dimensions are not out of whack there is no reason to chunk a mag when something as simple as a floor plate, spring, and or follower can easily be swapped out for a new replacement.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I really (REALLY) don't want to derail this into a discussion or argument about the feasibility of mag bans, BUT my general wariness of this being at risk of happening is why I'd replace mags completely (and save the old suspect ones in a marked box.)

I'm not mass-buying mags in anticipation (maybe I should be) but I am otherwise inclined to buy them now at their relatively low prices and ready availability, and any other reason to buy them whole (like one wearing out) is just icing.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolt View Post
    I really (REALLY) don't want to derail this into a discussion or argument about the feasibility of mag bans, BUT my general wariness of this being at risk of happening is why I'd replace mags completely (and save the old suspect ones in a marked box.)

I'm not mass-buying mags in anticipation (maybe I should be) but I am otherwise inclined to buy them now at their relatively low prices and ready availability, and any other reason to buy them whole (like one wearing out) is just icing.
    Not a derail at all. Anticipation of a ban is always a real issue. I never would have thought CO would get capacity restrictions...

After all it's always the talk of new restrictions that make prices and availability an issue with replacing mags. There wouldn't really be any need to stock up disposables like mags and ammo if we were 100% that we'll always have access to them.

Feedback Score
    I bought some replacement springs maybe 10 years ago, but have only used a few of them. I'll just buy some more mags next time.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Magazines are a disposable.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have never seen a magazine spring wear out.
    Exactly. A mag spring's life exceeds the functional life of the mag body by a country mile. Short of a defective spring, replacing them is a waste of money in my experience.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12