Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    We usually do it with 20 live rounds each.

1. Set up one IDPA target at 10 yds for each shooter.

2. I'm shooting first, so I hand my empty gun to my partner.

3. He loads one live round, or one dummy round, and hands the gun back to me.

4. I pull the trigger.

5. If it's a live round, my turn is over, and I hand the gun back to him. If I hit the zero zone, that's plus one point for me.

6. If it's a dummy round and I flinch, it's minus one point. And since I flinched, I hand him my gun back, and he loads one live round or one dummy round. Repeat until either I don't flinch, or it's a live round.

7. If it's a dummy round and I don't flinch, that's plus one point for me, and my turn is over.

8. It's now his turn to shoot, and he hands me his empty gun.

Obviously this can be modified as you see fit.

Feedback Score
    A good trigger squeeze drill is to insert your cleaning rod into the end of your muzzel, leave it sticking out a coulple of inches, set a dime on top of the rod and practice trigger squeeze. If the dime falls off then continue until the dime does not fall off. Very simple, but is better if you have a friend set the dime on each time. Remember, be sure your weapon is cleared and always treat your weapon as if it is loaded during dry fire. This exersice works well for breathing too, your trigger pull should come at you natural pause between breaths.

Feedback Score
    While not a "dry fire drill" I think this will help.

Have a buddy load your mags, say 10 or 15 rds each and add anywhere in the mag some snap caps or other inert round (if you reload put some together without primer & powder). Slow fire at whatever target/range combo you want. If you're doing your job with trigger control you won't jerk the rifle when you drop the hammer on the dumby round. Man I HATE it when I jerk the weapon when doing this.

This also works great for handguns and failure to fire drills for any semi auto, long or handgun. But for now use it to learn trigger control.

If you're by yourself load 3 or 4 mags and put a dumby round in one or two mags only. Mix them up and fire away.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-08 at 20:03.

Feedback Score

Shot timers

One piece of gear that I was told by more than a couple of folks at the recent Vickers Carbine course is I must buy a shot timer to get anything productive out the drills. This makes sense. I am looking for one that does not require a six week correnspondence course to figure out all of the buttons. Also want something small enough that I can carry it around the range nad use it without it getting in my way. I liked the one Larry had, but I think it is a bit too large for carrying on one and doing drills. Last but not least, needs to be loud enough for detection with non-electronic hearing pro on.

Several models were mentioned at the end of the class, but I was so whipped that I forgot what they were.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have a CED8000. It's the blue one that folds sorta like a flip-phone.
    It's OK.
    It's small and handy, but I notice that I have never seen them in use by anyone who is good, or at any match, so that may say something.

I just wanted something to give me a random start signal, and I could check my time now and then.
    I have found it pretty useful for things like:
    -comparing how long it takes to change mags compared to pulling the backup,
    -trying different methods of doing something (like weak handed draws),
    -seeing if I really shoot faster with Gun A than Gun B, or does it just seem thatw ay,
    etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is what I use..

It's simple and has only a few buttons, and has a large LE display.

I can wear it on my belt and look down at my time after a drill..

I see this model of timer more often then any other when I go to shoot in local USPSA/IDPA type shoots...

Simple,rugged,reliable..Nice loud buzzer and easy to read display.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive had years of trouble free use from my Pact Club Timer III. Its always in my range bag.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Here's a review, but it's a couple of years old, and there are some others out now (or newer versions of the same).
    www.sportshooter.com/gear/rev_timers.asp

I'd make sure whatever you get works with dry-fire.
    It's nice to practice your drawstroke/dry snap with the timer, but I've heard that some won't pick up a dry fire snap.
    My CED8000 (usually) will, but I've heard others with the same timer say theirs won't.
    It may be the gun being used- I use external hammer guns like 1911s and HiPowers, and for all I know they may be using something like a Glock, which is a little quieter.

Feedback Score
    I always enjoy Hackathorn's "The Mex". 36 rounds and a strict time limit, plus movement in multiple directions and you have to THINK while doing it. Switch into auto-pilot and you'll screw it up.

VMI-MO Guest
    Here are two examples of the 18 Hole Sprint I described above. Disregard the goofy camera man and colorful language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb_h-01LMhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoKX6WKKpE

Both are decently shitty times, but a learning experience.

PJ

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast