Thread: Favorite Drills

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Hobbes, heres my basic drills to keep me up with the training is down.

I try to do 15-20minutes of dry practice a day or at least 3 times a week if im busy.

People always ask what the secret or tricks of the trade to speed and accuracy are... well I think most of us know by now that there are no tricks, its all mastering and hoaning the basic fundamentals. Shooters and instructors also get carried away with all the high speed shooting out there which is great but even the best masterclass shooters out there can never forget about the basics. there will always be high speed tactical shooting couses, compititions, combat, ect... but the real deal is what you do on your own, and if you dont, when the shit hits the fan one day you will hesitate at the molment of truth.

So I start with breaking down all the fundamentals...

Pistol

1: set up stance, Modern Isolesles. Nice and tight I shoot on the range as if I were in an actual firefight to keep my combat mindset in the game and to mimic a stressful enviornment. I am tensed and flexed up the whole time to simulate what is going to happen to me in a real fight...adrenaline, hormones, loss of all dexterity ect...
    Stay in this stance through out the whole dryfire, it sucks but its worth it, and its a good workout. you should be smoked even after 20mins of dry fire like this.
    anyways...
    -weight on the balls of the feet.
    -slight comfortable bend in the knees
    -bent forward at the waist
    -shoulders rolled forward (pistol)
    -set tension in the wrists and elbows ..not locked out but tight (pistol) elbows tucked in (rifle)

2: I break down the Draw. startingin the ready position I transistion to the pistol and break the bail (Safariland 6004, per your holster SOP) and aquire master grip and STOP.
    ***then I repeat this around 25-50 times. consentrating on minimizing the little movements and perfecting just this step.

3: Starting at the "3rd eye postion weapon in front of the chest (strong hand only) with my weak hand only about 10in away fro the gun. I bring the hands together to aquire the master grip on the gun and then STOP. (I use the Leatham/Enos grip with a modified CRUSH grip to simulate high stress shooting.) I do this little drill about 50 times since its the base of the following fundamentals. Consentrate on minimizing the little movements and perfecting just this step.

4: From there I continue to do the drill above but now put the next step in: punch out on target aquiring slight alingment/sight picture and STOP
    I do this drill about 50 times on an actual target/ with T-shirt on for realistic purposes. Then I do it on a target with small Paisties to concentrate more on the sights and trigger pull which comes next. Consentrating on minimizing the little movements and perfecting just this step.

5: From the 3rd eye position do the drill above and then concentrate on isolating the trigger and squeezing, (utilizing the trigger on target theory)
    since the only thing that is moving at this point is your trigger, think about using the pull to line up the sights (micro movemnets at this point). this is used in mostly bullseye and 25 yd pistol shooting but this really makes me think about trigger control. Dry fire this until you get sick of it.

6: Once you feel comfortable with these 5 steps, now put it all together, and keep it clean and concentrate on each fundamental but keeping it smooth and minimise all the little unessisary movments.

7: Strong hand only (all fundamentals)

8: Weak hand only (all fundamentals)

7: Once I'm through my basic funds practice I move into multiple target sight aquisition drill and moving drills responding left/right/back. Then shooting around corners under couches beds ect...

8: Then I go into speed reloads and tac-reloads while dry-firing on the targets.

9: Now I go into Malfunctions, type 1- type 4, I leave imeadiate and remedial action for the rifle. I do these malfunction drills master grip, strong only and weak only...this is something shooters and intructors neglect to do or teach.

RIFLE

-Same thing as the pistol really... minus the draw...
    -I consentrate on sight aquisition speed and utilizing multiple targets.
    -Transitions
    -strong and weak
    -malfunctions,...simulate firing then immeadiate action, then remeadial action. ***this drill is for targets over 50yrds only otherwise transition.

When I hit the range I do all the above to warm up and then move into all the high speed practical shooting.
    here is a Qual course I use to stay proficient on:

QUAL PISTOL QUALIFICATION

YARD LINE/ DRILL/ REPS/ .45 Cal/ TIME

25- Pair Standing / Pair Kneeling 1/ 4/ 6
    15- Pair Standing / Pair Kneeling 1/ 4/ 5.5
    10- Pair /Speed Reload / Pair 1/ 4/ 5
    10 to 3- Pair /Speed Reload / Pair 1/ 4/ 5
    10 to 3- Failure Drill 1/ 3/ 4.5
    7- Pair Strong Hand Only 1/ 2/ 2
    7- Pair Weak Hand, weak hand draw 1/ 2/ 5
    7- Pair/ Speed Reload /
    Minimum Target Exposure Shot 1/ 3/ 4

SCORE 24 TORSO, 2 BRAIN (52 Points Total), Re-Face Targets.

15- Pair on 1st Target /
    Speed Reload / Pair on 2nd Target 1/ 4/ 5
    10 to 3- Pair on 1st Target / Speed Reload /
    Pair on 2nd Target 1/ 4/ 5.5
    10 to 3- Pair on Both Targets /Speed Reload /
    Minimum Target Exposure Shot on Each 1/ 6/ 6.5
    7 to 3- Pair on Both Targets / Speed Reload /
    Pair on Both Targets 1/ 8/ 6.5
    7- Minimum Target Exposure Shot on each
    target 1/ 2/ 4

SCORE 20 TORSO, 4 BRAIN (48 Points Total).

TOTAL 50

NOTES (1) All drills start from the low ready with the M-4.
    (2) Tactical/Speed reload as necessary.
    (3) Clear any type 1,2 or 3 malfunction on the move.
    (4) If you have a Type 3 malfunction, continue to move until you
    reach your point of domination. Clear the malfunction from a
    knee but do not engage.
    (5) Always know the condition of your weapon.
    (6) If you run dry, you loose those points.
    (7) Highest score possible is 100 points.
    (8) Complete CQB / Assault gear will be worn at all times.
    (9) Totals are per man.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-08 at 20:33.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/