Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: M4Carbine.net Update Newsletter

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Larry Vickers:
    Gun Education

This statement from LAV, pretty much sums it up. "The Test" is one method of testing a shooter's proficiency with a firearm.

It is appreciated to receive insight and information from a true gun guy, such as LAV.
    Indeed! I lol'd at "Hell, you might even find something that you like better than what you currently shoot (M&P shooters I'm looking at you; try an HK VP9; a far better pistol)"

My personal journey went 1911-> M&P -> VP9.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will, try clicking on the link to the newsletter in my post and then click subscribe in the top left corner. Fill in your info, and surely that will get you on the list.
    Done. That should hopefully do the trick.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gun Education with Larry Vickers:
    "The Test"

In this newsletter, I'm going to highlight a couple drills I do in my handgun classes that are personal favorites of mine. They are very challenging, but like all good drills, they can be tailored to best match the skill level of the shooter.
    This is not an “Obama” drill where close is good enough and everyone is a winner regardless of your score. This is a classic “Reagan” drill where you either pass or, if you fail, strap it on, put the work in, and if you apply yourself you can eventually pass the drill.
    LAV takes the time to outline "The Test" and "The Half Test". The drills are broken down, score explained, and standards set. Once the basic goal of the drill is mastered, the shooter can add a draw and use the scoring rings to increase the difficulty and further gauge skill. The "Rob Jensen low ready" is to be avoided on both drills.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gun Education with Jeff Gonzales:
    "Human Nature"

I am reminded of an excerpt from the SEAL Ethos, "I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend." In particular "swift and violent." I guess I have assumed this was the mindset of those who not only go into harm’s way, but stand up to evil. It boils down to accepting a level of violence that I believe we all have as humans, but that somehow we have reprogrammed over the years.
    At the very heart of the issue is the need to come to grips with being violent. I don't think good people think of themselves as violent, but acknowledge the capacity to be violent. You have to be willing to inflict injury, or even death, and more than likely be willing to cope with injury or death yourself. I think that is the secret.
    In the latest newsletter, Jeff Gonzales discusses mindset and violence. Mindset is probably the most important tool that someone had better have in good working order when it comes time to defend their family, themselves, or someone else. Having the ability and willingness to be violent does not make someone a bad person. When it comes down to it, you must be willing and able to put aside your fears, and handle the possibility of injury or even your own death. You must be willing and able to be violent, and deal out injury or death to someone else.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    "The 1911 Pistol"

Anyone owning a 1911 or considering buying one needs to understand it is a pistol that requires a different level of care and maintenance than most other handguns.
    Last but not least remember the pistol design is over 100 years old. Show me anything else with more than 2 moving parts that is as widely used and as old as the 1911 - nothing I know of compares. Its service to this country deserves respect - and a place in your gun safe.
    LAV addresses some important tidbits of information about the 1911. Thanks for taking the time, LAV.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    "Deliberate Indifference?"

What is deliberate indifference in the first place? It is the conscious or reckless disregard of the consequences of one's acts or omissions. In other words, you know an act or failure to act can lead to injury or death yet you disregard this information for one reason or another. The reasons vary, but the point is they are conscious so you can't claim ignorance in this case. You can't say you didn't know and just shrug your shoulders.
    A typical response I've heard is: "because I've always done it thatway and never had a problem." First off, this is a classic example of logic. There is nothing substantial to this response, nothing to indicate the thought process or rationale for or against. Take a second to let it soak in. Is this the type of justification you want to hear or actually want to give? Back it up with something better than "because".
    Mr. Gonzales takes the time to discuss deliberate indifference. When thinking about the people we often shoot and handle firearms around, it is a list that often includes friends, family, and colleagues. It is hard to imagine that we could purposefully have a lack of interest in mitigating risk, but it can and does happen. It is imperative that we do not allow liberal logic to take hold of our actions and decisions when training or simply shooting on a saturday afternoon. Ideally, we would recognize risk before an ND, but it does not always work out that way. As Mr. Gonzales suggests, "make a difference". Be mindful of risk and unsafe actions. If something unsafe is noticed, take action to correct it and/or mitigate the risk. We have a responsibility to do so, or we are being deliberately indifferent. Stay safe. Thanks, Mr. Gonzales, for taking the time.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gun Education with Ken Hackathorn:
    Trends for the future of firearms

Normally trends for the future of the firearms business are seen at each year's SHOT Show. While most attendees of the 2016 show came away fairly unimpressed, I did note a few interesting trends.
    I have been attending SHOT Shows since the 1980's, and can remember when most folks attended in a suit and tie. This year seemed to be the year of the "operator look." Of the guys that I know who really deserve the tile, few dressed the role. Most were pretty plain looking dudes who did not dress the part or blended in with the crowd's "tactical-cool" types. Much of the guns and related accessories seem to be aimed at the "tactical/operators" market or at least those that want to look the part.
    Mr. Hackathorn shares his impressions from Shot Show 2016, in this newsletter. Thoughts on 300 Blackout, 9mm AR's, and striker fired polymer handguns are shared, as well as the products that stood out to him. Thank you, Mr. Hackathorn, for taking the time to share your thoughts and impressions from this year's Shot Show.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    "Comfort Zone: What are you afraid of?"

What does it take for you to leave your comfort zone? Here's a better question, why do you stay in your comfort zone?
    Our programs are broken down into core skills, we believe these core skills are necessary to be a well rounded combatant. Too many times we find chinks in the armor of folks and when we ask many times the response is the same, "I'm not very good at (fill in the blank)." No, duh, it takes commitment, discipline and practice to be good at anything. Nothing is free in this world and you will have to work for it. But one thing is for certain: if you never venture out of your comfort zone you will never know what you are capable of accomplishing.
    We should strive to be comfortable in our discomfort zone. To push our limits and embrace the struggle.
    Mr. Gonzales explains how fear can "infect and ultimately limit your performance", in the latest newsletter. It is an excellent read. He elaborates on the power of failure, using "chunking" to separate the good from the bad, and how we cannot neglect the core skills simply because we may not very good at one or more of them. Thank you, Mr. Gonzales, once again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
    Last edited by TXBK; 04-15-16 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    "Kalashnikov: Opinions, Conclusions, and Lessons."

1) The Kalashnikov is dramatically more accurate than it is given credit for being. The standard iron sights affect its shoot ability to be sure, but with a suitable optic mounted, such as an Aimpoint, it is capable of perfectly acceptable accuracy, with head shots out to 50-75 yds and upper torso hits out to 200 yds. More than enough to get the job done.
    10) Take care of it and it will take care of you. Keep it lubed and feed it good Ammo. The Kalashnikov has proven itself throughout the world and will serve you well. The historical significance of the Kalashnikov series alone, as one of the most influential small arms in history, means it is a weapon whose place in small arms history is secure. And any serious gun guy needs at least one in his collection. You will not be disappointed.
    LAV takes time out of his busy schedule to share some thoughts about the AK platform. As my go-to small arms expert, the thoughts and opinions of LAV are taken and agreed upon. I once owned an AK. I wasn't impressed with it, however, I regret getting rid of it...I shall have another, some day. Thank you, LAV, for sharing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

M4Carbine.net Update Newsletter

I once owned an AK. I wasn't impressed with it, however, I regret getting rid of it...I shall have another, some day.
    I have three AKs that I rarely shoot, yet I can't imagine life without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast