Gun Education with Larry Vickers:
"From the Start; The 1911 Gunsmithing Class Update"

From the start, I have taught this the same way: I explain to the students what to do in detail, I answer any questions, and the students do it. I don't hold their hands and wipe their noses through the build. I check in on them and attempt to avert disasters, but if the student is going to screw up then he's going to screw up. Our society has way too much "hand holding" and that's not how I completed a 20+ year career in US Army SOF with 15 years of it in Delta Force.
Three things can derail you with a 1911: ammo, lube, and magazines. No matter who made it, or how much it costs, if you try and cut corners in these three areas it can bite you. This is a heads up for anyone considering buying one for the first time.
In this newsletter, LAV discusses his 5-day 1911 builders course. LAV also talks about the dying art of metal fitting, a few things that can derail your 1911 (ammo, lube, mags), and how the buyer should beware buying cheap 1911's. As well as, how the role of the 1911 has changed from a service weapon to more of a historical weapon, but whose nostalgia will ensure that it stays around for many more years to come.

LAV also reveals that he will shortly stop teaching this class on the road. I will have to make the trip to North Carolina sometime to attend this class. I don't know what says "Murica" better than spending 5 days with LAV hand-fitting a 1911 and concluding the class putting rounds down range with it. Thanks, LAV.