Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Even a cross reference chart would be extremely handy.

Like the rest of you, I've been pondering a .308 AR platform, but come to a screeching halt because of all the "Proprietary" components on the uppers, and lowers.

DPMS now has a Gen II out (ironically appears to be a front runner - Tier I rifle, given that their 5.56 rifles are considered crap) which IIRC is incompatible with their Gen I - kind of stirs the confusion pot a little.

I think that we can agree that we want to see a standardized universal spec for the LPK, FCG, BCG, Charging handle, Barrel nut thread, Barrel Extension, and Mags. Rail compatibility comes down to low profile or high profile. At least they all use the same RE.

I suspect a lot of this comes down to the Mil does not have an AR-308 that they use - ergo no basic Mil Spec to go by from the manufacturer aspect, and gods forbid the top manufacturer's R&D departments get together and come to an agreement.
    Last edited by Sticks; 11-02-14 at 07:44.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Even a cross reference chart would be extremely handy.
    What I was thinking. Anyone has some disposable time to digest all the info and neatly package it? I know I dont....
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am slowly and cautiously building an AR10 myself, the only components I have so far are an AP M5 lower and their LPK; already there have been a few "interesting" discoveries.

1) The pivot pin detent and spring (mostly the spring) seem to be the same as what is found on a typical AR build but this makes them quite a bit too long to fit into the M5 lower. The pivot pin is installed through one of the "ears" on the receiver, not along the dust cover like on a M4 receiver. Carefully measuring as I went I ended up taking off probably around 5-6 coils to make the spring work.

2) The magazine release button, spring and lever all appear to be standard as well; the problem being that the AR10 receiver is notably thicker. The button does not thread nearly as deep as on an M4; I am not sure if I was sent the wrong release, or if they are all like this.

Thanks for starting a thread like this, I am sure it will be required reading for me.

Feedback Score
    So.. I started typing one up... I'm 1500 words in with links to stores for parts and then to verify some info I find that a lot of the legwork has been done on TOS. So there goes the past 2 hours lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/3...date_2012.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html

I can still go ahead and finish mine so that its "ours" and I'll send it around to a few folks who have done something like my build and send it to IG to fact check and then we'll post it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks very much for the legwork.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post
    So.. I started typing one up... I'm 1500 words in with links to stores for parts and then to verify some info I find that a lot of the legwork has been done on TOS. So there goes the past 2 hours lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/3...date_2012.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html

I can still go ahead and finish mine so that its "ours" and I'll send it around to a few folks who have done something like my build and send it to IG to fact check and then we'll post it.
    Thanks from me as well. I'm so ready to dip my toe in the AR-10 waters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With the boom in the 7.62/.308 AR market recently, I see no reason to even tinker around with a build.
    Unlike 5.56/.223 AR's, the compatibility is not as uniform, making parts selection more tricky. It is still very doable, of course, but unless you are after something very, very specific, to me it seems that the factory complete rifles have most configurations covered.

Now you have Armalite AR-10's (including the AR-10A PMag-compatible series - which I just recently bought), DPMS Gen 1's, GII's, Larue OBR 7.62, PredatAR 7.62, PredatOBR 7.62, KAC SR-25 series, Sig 716, LMT MWS and LM8, PWS MK2 Mod 0 and Mod 1, S&W M&P-10, Colt 901, Ruger SR762, Mega Arms MA-Ten, MKM, Megalithic and their discontinued Monolithic, Seekins Precision just off the top of my head.

Soon you will have Wilson Combat's .308 AR, Rainer Arms' RA-308, and Aero Precision's M5E1 (which I am eagerly awaiting feedback on).

Feedback Score
    The DPMS gen 2 does seem to, by all accounts, be very good. And its very well priced too. The other options are so expensive still that I can see the appeal of building now that there are reasonable priced receiver sets. Before Mega's MaTen was $5-$600 just to get the receivers making the AR308 price exclusive. But now you can get an Aero set or a PSA set for less than $300 which is incredible

I can post my info here but only if we do it as a draft. Maybe we can make the info into its own thread and sticky it later on. But since its been almost 4 years since I built my Ma-Ten, I'd like some feedback on some of the data before we say "Here's the go by info thread on AR308s". Hopefully all the links work from word and I won't need to reformat it for the forum lol. That's a lot of links. I'd like Kevin from KAC to look over it but I dont know if he can give insight because of his affiliation with KAC. Anyway, let me know. I wrote for a few hours yesterday and I stopped when I kind of got to the end of my knowledge at bolts and headspace and stuff. But maybe we can glean some info from those TOS threads and mash them into my write up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL BRN View Post
    I am slowly and cautiously building an AR10 myself, the only components I have so far are an AP M5 lower and their LPK; already there have been a few "interesting" discoveries.

1) The pivot pin detent and spring (mostly the spring) seem to be the same as what is found on a typical AR build but this makes them quite a bit too long to fit into the M5 lower. The pivot pin is installed through one of the "ears" on the receiver, not along the dust cover like on a M4 receiver. Carefully measuring as I went I ended up taking off probably around 5-6 coils to make the spring work.

2) The magazine release button, spring and lever all appear to be standard as well; the problem being that the AR10 receiver is notably thicker. The button does not thread nearly as deep as on an M4; I am not sure if I was sent the wrong release, or if they are all like this.

Thanks for starting a thread like this, I am sure it will be required reading for me.
    You can get an extended one from KAK industries, what I used on my Aero M5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I'm getting into the .308 AR game. I started with a new, complete CMMG Mk.3 lower I picked up at a good price.
    Well, that was 3 years ago... I didn't like where it was going, and to be honest, it never really got very far off the ground. Ended up selling it.

Starting over with an Aero Precision lower I got on a Veteran's Day sale. Actually got it yesterday, but I was busy on Veteran's day doing ceremonies with the VFW (I'm a post commander) so it was easy to talk the gun shop guy into giving me the discount a bit late. I sent an email to Ballistic Advantage with my DD214 last night. Hope I'll get approved for their military discount in time for the black Friday deals...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast