Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Stakin an Improperly Staked Key

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Re-Stakin an Improperly Staked Key

I've got a bunch of chisels, hammers, roll-pin punches, punches, and access to a vise (thanks, Dad). I've checked out a few sites, and done some searches here. My Stag rifle kit and the CMT/Stag BCG. Which means that it'll look like this:

So, now I am tasked with staking it properly so it will look like this:

How do I do this if it's already been improperly staked?

I don't wann screw this up. Normally (from what I've read) I would lock the BCG in the vise side ways and stake w/ a 1/16 punch. Can I stake over the already improperly stakes sections (first picture)? Or do I need to find a different angle or method of staking. Should I just buy a new gas key and screws? Experts, please advise.

Feedback Score
    Proper way would be to use MOACKS or you can send it to Grant if you don't want to buy the MOACKS tool.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just do it! Put the correct dimple next to the crap staking if you can't get a good stake directly on it. Perfect symetry isn't necessary... just get it done!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The MOACKS is right out. I'm sure it works wonders and all, but it's just too darn pricey at $70 plus shipping (pocket MOAKS). Lots of folks stake the key themself. I'll buy a back-up key and screw, just incase i screw up . Plus, part of the fun of putting this all together, is doing it myself. Yes, I do understand how crucial a properly staked key is, and I'm taking it seriously.

I think you've got it right demigod. From what I've seen, I just don't know how the key can be properly staked OVER the incorrect stake marks. The metal on the key itself is marred down. However, I think I'll stake it right next to the improper marks.

Geez, I feel like a kid waiting for a Birthday gift or something waiting on these parts to get in. I'll try and post pics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    The MOACKS is right out. I'm sure it works wonders and all, but it's just too darn pricey at $70 plus shipping (pocket MOAKS).
    Many have found that providing a service for a suggested donation of $5, or in services in kind, at an event full of "good-as", offsets your purchase price.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Bananas,

You can either purchase a new key or you can create alternate staking points. Take a look in the military TM as to how they do it. I restake the Bushamsters in a triangle shape like similar to the TM and I have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    The MOACKS is right out. I'm sure it works wonders and all, but it's just too darn pricey at $70 plus shipping (pocket MOAKS). Lots of folks stake the key themself. I'll buy a back-up key and screw, just incase i screw up . Plus, part of the fun of putting this all together, is doing it myself. Yes, I do understand how crucial a properly staked key is, and I'm taking it seriously.

I think you've got it right demigod. From what I've seen, I just don't know how the key can be properly staked OVER the incorrect stake marks. The metal on the key itself is marred down. However, I think I'll stake it right next to the improper marks.

Geez, I feel like a kid waiting for a Birthday gift or something waiting on these parts to get in. I'll try and post pics.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You don't use a 1/16" punch. Atleast twice you won't. rofl
    Get a center punch. The intent is to create an interference of metal to prevent it from spinning CCW. One hammer whack and your a pro. Two your an amatuer but we'll let you slide. Three, please remove your tools from the vicinty of your rifle and refrain from ever using the two in combination.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I only get two whacks with the hammer and I'm out!? Aggghhh! The Pressure!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score

My butcher job

Check out the job I did below, I already ordered a new key and bolts, but I am not sure if this is all that bad; it was done to an already improperly staked key (anyone with a MOACKs in the New Orleans Louisiana area)? Take a look at the following and throw some opinions my way. How are y'all vice mounting these things without fear of crushing or breaking them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bufit323 View Post
    How are y'all vice mounting these things without fear of crushing or breaking them?
    You won't crush it. You probably won't break it, either. Just put it in there with something semi soft on the sides so you don't rough it up too much.

Then whack the hell out of it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast