Thread: Can't hurt, can it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Can't hurt, can it?

I'm not expecting The Accuwedge to be a $3 miracle. I stuffed it in the lower, pushed with a resaonable amount of pressure with my left hand (while still holding the lower at the pistol grip with my right hand and slapped it shut. Less wiggle and play between the upper and lower. I didn't really apply a lot of pressure to get it done, but some was needed. The accuwedge might not make a difference at all, but it can't hurt the rifle, can it? My rifle first AR is going out for her maiden voyage tomorrow,and I don't wanna screw anything up.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    I'm not expecting The Accuwedge to be a $3 miracle. I stuffed it in the lower, pushed with a resaonable amount of pressure with my left hand (while still holding the lower at the pistol grip with my right hand and slapped it shut. Less wiggle and play between the upper and lower. I didn't really apply a lot of pressure to get it done, but some was needed. The accuwedge might not make a difference at all, but it can't hurt the rifle, can it? My rifle first AR is going out for her maiden voyage tomorrow,and I don't wanna screw anything up.
    How can it hurt you ask? What if it either comes loose a piece of breaks off and becomes lodged in your trigger group?

Think it can't happen?

My suggestion is to dump it as it is not needed.

C4

Feedback Score
    The only issue anyone is going to bring up, is if the accuwedge were to come loose and get stuck in the FCG.
    I doubt it would, and it's not going to really hurt anything, but you might have to dig it out one day? I've never heard of it actually happening, and Colt even shows the accuwedge on their parts diagram, to let owners know there "could be" an accuwedge included in your weapon, when it's new out of the box.
    SO, if Colt uses them, they probably are not going to cause any real problems.

I'm quite anal about a sloppy upper/lower fit, as I just HATE to have a LOOSE weapon. Feels cheap and just takes away from the mental accuracy game in ones mind.
    I personally will not stand for a sloppy fit, and IF I am buying uppers and lowers seperately, and I find a sloppy fit, I always plan on sending them off to have them reamed and bushed at GAP for a perfectly tight fit.
    Fortunately, I've not had to do that just yet. But then, I don't own umpteen million AR's like so many of these forum junkies around here.
    I just feel like the manufacturer should give me a TIGHT fit between receivers on my $2K+ AR's...

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I am with Paul on this one. This can at most be a stop-gap for something else wrong, as in an out of spec upper or lower. That should be a nogo or a "real" fix.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    The only issue anyone is going to bring up, is if the accuwedge were to come loose and get stuck in the FCG.
    I doubt it would, and it's not going to really hurt anything, but you might have to dig it out one day? I've never heard of it actually happening, and Colt even shows the accuwedge on their parts diagram, to let owners know there "could be" an accuwedge included in your weapon, when it's new out of the box.
    SO, if Colt uses them, they probably are not going to cause any real problems.

I'm quite anal about a sloppy upper/lower fit, as I just HATE to have a LOOSE weapon. Feels cheap and just takes away from the mental accuracy game in ones mind.
    I personally will not stand for a sloppy fit, and IF I am buying uppers and lowers seperately, and I find a sloppy fit, I always plan on sending them off to have them reamed and bushed at GAP for a perfectly tight fit.
    Fortunately, I've not had to do that just yet. But then, I don't own umpteen million AR's like so many of these forum junkies around here.
    I just feel like the manufacturer should give me a TIGHT fit between receivers on my $2K+ AR's...

Have already seen it happen. Gun stopped going bang just because someone didn't like upper and lower play.

The simply fact is that play between uppers and lowers does not matter. In all actuality, the looser the weapon, the more likely it is going to be more reliable.
    All of my personal weapons have a lot of play in them. I also tend to be high the high shooter in my training classes.

Accuwedge = malfunction waiting to happen.

C4

Feedback Score
    Yes, I want to be clear, that in NO way did I mean to imply that slop between receivers will physically affect accuracy, ESPECIALLY in a carbine course, where extreme accuracy is not the focus.
    Many guys will find it helps them mentally, when shooting an AR10 at longer ranges, or and SPR, or any AR at longer ranges, with high powered scope.
    Sure, most people will not care, but many shooters just FEEL better with a tight fit, when shooting for accuracy.
    NO it does not physically affect accuracy, ESPECIALLY in a carbine course.

I also want to say, that in regards to the other post above, I would not say this Bananas guy has an "out of spec" upper or lower. The takedown lugs and pins on our AR's are made to have a more open tolerance in this area, so that users don't have a problem using different uppers and lowers together.
    I PERSONALLY would tighten up the tolerances a little bit, on the lugs/pins of ANY AR going out the door, IF I were a manufacturer.
    I just like a tight fit, and always will. If it matters to you as well, send GAP $100 and your rifle and it can be fixed. OR find a machinist in your area who can ream/bush the lugs. It's a simple fix really. However, the problem is finding someone who is willing to do it. Most machine shops these days care about nothing more than mass CNC production. One-offs/custom work just aren't sought after much any more. Good thing we've got GAP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Have already seen it happen. Gun stopped going bang just because someone didn't like upper and lower play.

Accuwedge = malfunction waiting to happen.
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the AccuWedge is a solution to a non-problem. But I'm always curious when I hear reports of things breaking ... was the thing installed correctly?

Based on photos I've seen of where the AccuWedge is supposed to go and how it's supposed to be oriented, it's hard for me to see what would cause the thing to come apart or otherwise come loose. If installed correctly, it shouldn't get cut apart or come loose.

But based on how I've seen people actually install the thing, I can easly understand the problem is really improper installation. I've seen photos of them installed backwards, which is not a problem with the AccuWedge but with the installer.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whytep38 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the AccuWedge is a solution to a non-problem. But I'm always curious when I hear reports of things breaking ... was the thing installed correctly?
    Over time, these types of things break down. Cleaning solvents, oil, heat, etc helps this along.

Based on photos I've seen of where the AccuWedge is supposed to go and how it's supposed to be oriented, it's hard for me to see what would cause the thing to come apart or otherwise come loose. If installed correctly, it shouldn't get cut apart or come loose.

But based on how I've seen people actually install the thing, I can easly understand the problem is really improper installation. I've seen photos of them installed backwards, which is not a problem with the AccuWedge but with the installer.
    People can and will always install things incorrectly. My point is that they are not needed, don't help with anything and really could cause a problem.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought one while still building my AR...a friend who is an armorer told me to ditch it, and after having to fight with the takedown pin to get it to release I agreed and ditched it...no issues so far!

Feedback Score
    i read somewhere it somewhere... somebody used jbweld on the upper reciever. the part near the front swivel pins.