Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did, or will you choose the 6.8?

Feedback Score
    Mr. Alexander, thank you. That was more along the answer I was looking for, now I need to do more research proffessor . I wasn't doubting that you had a great design, and have said just that previously. I just wanted to know why, so that I could research all choices further, knowledge is never a bad thing. I still would like to run a standard bolt in my rifles, and I was told that it was tested after machining to 6.8 (I will certainly check into that soon, but it's fine so far). But now that I have your ear, could I ask one last question:

If you designed all the features that go into your bolts and designed a 6.5 as well as a 6.8 bolt, which would be stronger (If the 6.5 would be stronger, then would that also mean that the 6.5 would be stronger than the 5.56 of the same design with even more material around the casehead)? This is what I was having a hard time with.

I'll also have to get back to you on the LMT bolt quiz, I may get to do my terminal ballistics testing sooner rather than later with the Grendel, what round do you recommend for deer pest control where I can't harvest any meat ? The only problem is that I've always seen enhanced bolts as a gimmick and Haven't a clue what one actually looks like.

Please accept my apology if you felt attacked, this forum is a great place in that consumers can get answers directly from the horses' mouth as has just been demonstrated, and I don't want to abuse it. I just didn't like being told "because I say so" in a technical forum, it sounded like hype, which is what I wanted the original poster to beware of, sorry. I just REALLY think that the guys that push either one for EVERY PURPOSE UNDER THE SUN are completely full of crap, they each have their limits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Alexander
    Anyway its got me fooled almost as well as poor old Nitrox who is conviced that KAC builds those enhanced bolts. Check the springs, if they are angled out the thing is LMT.

Bill Alexander
    Bill,

Please go back a rearead what I wrote, I made no mention of sub contractors. Knights designed the bolt and it is structural advancement, enough said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    As far as I'm concerned Knights is the only manufacturer to ever make an enhanced bolt. The rest are just pretty pieces to spend extra money on.
    I know, you said this. I didn't quote you as people could read it themselves.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I want a 6.8 because it's big enough to kill whitetail with.

Shot one for the first time today. Liked it. Liked the SF suppressor on the other rifle too. I will definitely have to get a SF 6.8 can.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

6.8 posting

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    Paul, is that you?
    Nitrox,
    This is counter productive, and a violation of rule # 6 (Trolling – Posting comments with the purpose to start conflicts with members, libel persons or groups, or to disrupt the overall running of the forum will not be allowed.) if you can't have the utmost respect for others here you can leave this site. Consider this a final warning.

Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB
    I want a 6.8 because it's big enough to kill whitetail with.

Shot one for the first time today. Liked it. Liked the SF suppressor on the other rifle too. I will definitely have to get a SF 6.8 can.

AA is working with Gemtech on a can and if you want something that is flatter shooting and packs more punch at much longer ranges, then you need to look at the 6.5.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    AA is working with Gemtech on a can...
    Or if you really wanted to, you could get a Gemtech HVT in .30 and probably be as quiet.

I considered the Gemtech HVT, but got a killer deal on 2 YHM .30 cal suppressors. One will go on the Grendel I built and one on the AR-10.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN
    Or if you really wanted to, you could get a Gemtech HVT in .30 and probably be as quiet.

I considered the Gemtech HVT, but got a killer deal on 2 YHM .30 cal suppressors. One will go on the Grendel I built and one on the AR-10.
    Roger. Wait till you see the 6.5's I am going to build, you will want to sell the one you have.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shark31
    If you designed all the features that go into your bolts and designed a 6.5 as well as a 6.8 bolt, which would be stronger (If the 6.5 would be stronger, then would that also mean that the 6.5 would be stronger than the 5.56 of the same design with even more material around the casehead)? This is what I was having a hard time with.
    I guess the fundamental problem with your question is that it has no relevance as to whether AA 6.5 Grendels have a longer bolt life than any particular manufacturer's 6.8 rifles (which is the question you are probably trying to ask).

The nice thing about the Grendel when compared to the 6.8 SPC is that you *know* that Gendel ammo, bolts, chambers are all designed to be compatable with each other. There is one set of specs controlled by one entity so you don't have to worry about whether a bolt from manufacturer A can handle the bolt thrust genereated by ammo from manufacturer B fired in a chamber from manufacturer C...
    If Guns Kill People, then Pencils cause misspelled words.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz
    I guess the fundamental problem with your question is that it has no relevance as to whether AA 6.5 Grendels have a longer bolt life than any particular manufacturer's 6.8 rifles (which is the question you are probably trying to ask).

The nice thing about the Grendel when compared to the 6.8 SPC is that you *know* that Gendel ammo, bolts, chambers are all designed to be compatable with each other. There is one set of specs controlled by one entity so you don't have to worry about whether a bolt from manufacturer A can handle the bolt thrust genereated by ammo from manufacturer B fired in a chamber from manufacturer C...
    Agree. A lot people snub their nose at how AA controls ammo, chambers, etc, but when it comes right down to it, this is a good thing and helps to keep QC very high.

C4

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast