Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did, or will you choose the 6.8?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by generic
    Two words:

Bolt breakage.

Anyone got data on the parts failure of 6.8s run hard?
    Very interesting comments from everyone (thank you), I would really like to hear more about failures, and any bolt breaking issues.
    P-Tac

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Two words:

Bolt breakage.

Those two words are why I haven't (yet) put money into 6.8SPC. No matter how good the cartridge, it is no good if you can't keep the gun running over time.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Two words:

Bolt breakage.

Yes, from more than a couple reliable sources, but anytime I bring them up the "experts" quickly tell me I'm full of shit, and the issues were faulty parts and not the cartridges fault. But - those issues were with the cartridges loaded to the specs of what they were supposed to be, not the lower pressure round they ended up as.

The ONLY reason to buy a 6.8 is bacause you want one. If you sleep better at night because you convinced yourself you have a more deadly carbine, good for you, enjoy your hobby.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only bolt breakage data I had was from the earlier spec'd ammo
    Anyone ask Zak what life he is getting? However I hardly view replacing a bolt at a rate that is about twice the 5.56mm to be a deal breaker.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    However I hardly view replacing a bolt at a rate that is about twice the 5.56mm to be a deal breaker.
    Doesn't that sorta' depends on if we are talkin' DPMS- or Colt-made bolts?

Would it not depend also on the price and availability of said bolt?

At what round count do you replace a 5.56mm bolt?

This reminds me of the "Perfection" of 9mm Glocks being lost when the design was scaled up into larger calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    The ONLY reason to buy a 6.8 is bacause you want one. If you sleep better at night because you convinced yourself you have a more deadly carbine, good for you, enjoy your hobby.
    An Active Duty SF Sergeant used to publish a quarterly entitled, The Resister. He once included a political cartoon of a carbine in a case with a glass front with a hammer attached to the frame. Under it were the words "BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF TYRANNY". Oh, it is a hobby; nevertheless, it is much, much more.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner
    Oh, it is a hobby; nevertheless, it is much, much more.

I’m sure a lot of folks lose sleep over just that. Not me. When it comes to that, the willingness of the individual will be what matters. The caliber of the weapon is insignificant, be it a .22 revolver or a U-Haul full of fertilizer and diesel fuel.

You need to do/buy/train as you see fit. When the times comes you'll be responsible for your decisions.

Feedback Score
    And for those of you who already have a 6.8, what kind of accuracy did you get, and at what ranges??
    P-Tac

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtac
    And for those of you who already have a 6.8, what kind of accuracy did you get, and at what ranges??
    With commercial ammo ( Remington, Hornady, SSA Xtreme ) you can expect to get 1.25 MOA @ 100 with an good AR. With a bolt gun it will be better.

With handlaods, and SSA matchkings You can probably get pretty close to 1 MOA @ 100. At least thats what its been for me so far.

My 6.8 has a 16.1 noveske, and a 6x scope, and I know the trigger puller isnt the best. I would assume that if you had a 20 or 24" brl it might be more accurate.

Feedback Score
    Do grendel guns have the around the same ammount of bolt failures also?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    The only bolt breakage data I had was from the earlier spec'd ammo
    Anyone ask Zak what life he is getting? However I hardly view replacing a bolt at a rate that is about twice the 5.56mm to be a deal breaker.
    Well.. that means we'd be getting 1500-4000 rounds out of a 6.8 bolt, 1500 in a hard-run gun. I'm all for PMCS, but a gun that may have a bolt failure after 1500 rounds is unsat, in my book. Especially when I can get 80% of the 6.8's performance out of MK262 in a properly set up gun.

piss poor cost:benefit ration for me but Ymmv.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast