Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did, or will you choose the 6.8?

Feedback Score

Why did, or will you choose the 6.8?

I'm currently doing my D.D. on the 6.8 SPC Cartridge, do any of you have experience shooting, or testing the cartridge?
    What would you consider it's maximum range, and how are the groups at that range?
    Lastly...what length barrels did you shoot it with, and velocities recorded?
    That about sum's it up, and thank you for the information in advance.
    P-Tac

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can barely afford to shoot the amount of 5.56MM I like... for me switching to 6.8MM just ain't happening... would make it even more expensive.

Just my take

Feedback Score
    The main reason I decided to go with a 6.8 is because of its size, and even that is two fold.
    1: Its bigger than a 223/556
    2: It still fits in a 223 sized AR-15

The 6.8 is just a neat caliber. It gives me the same traj as a 77gr 223 and a 308 168gr SMK. So its range is just as good as a 38, to an extent.

So the 6.8 will have pretty much the same range as a 223, it will just hit harder. Though if you handload a SMK fairly hot, I think you might get a better traj than a 223.

My gun was built by Grant.
    16.1 Noveske brl
    Troy 12.0
    With Rem OTM ammo I am getting right at 1.25MOA @ 100 yards with it. Handloads will get better than that. The recoil is subjective. My gun has a vortex fh, but I am going to swap it out for a MSTN brake. The recoil isnt bad, not much more than the 223, I just want to stop the muzzle rise.

http://coloradomultigun.com/misc/sgn_68spc.pdf

that link will tell you pretty much everything you want to know.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info so far, I will read the link when I get more time.
    P-Tac

Feedback Score
    More retained energy downrange in the same sized weapon as 5.56mm. It's that simple. I give up three rounds in the mag and a negligable increase in recoil. At the rate 5.56mm ammo is increasing in price, it's not that much more expensive to shoot 6.8mm SPC (apples to apples; you're not going to find surplus 6.8mm).

Stephen

Feedback Score
    A better BC (than 5.56) out of a short bbl. That's my reason (10.3" bbl).

Sean

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With ammo prices going through the roof I don't see myself leaving 5.56mm any time soon.

If anything my next move will be to .308.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm seriously thinking of getting OUT of 7.62mm because it is a service round and 6.8 SPC might fall through the cracks on the next bout of gun-grabbing (if ammo taxation is part of it; Moynihan once proposed taxing .45 ACP, 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62mmX39, and 7.62mmX51.) The price differential between good 5.56mm (Black Hills) and 6.8 SPC is narrowing. The 6.8 SPC requires less powder per round than 7.62mm and bullets are SMK's are about 75% of 7.62mm varieties when reloading costs are considered. Plus, M1A's (my 7.62mm of choice) have a whole different manual of arms.

Knowing what I know today (what has been posted above), if I were just starting out, I would probably go with 6.8 SPC and a dedicated .22LR upper for practice.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner
    I'm seriously thinking of getting OUT of 7.62mm because it is a service round and 6.8 SPC might fall through the cracks on the next bout of gun-grabbing (if ammo taxation is part of it; Moynihan once proposed taxing .45 ACP, 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62mmX39, and 7.62mmX51.) The price differential between good 5.56mm (Black Hills) and 6.8 SPC is narrowing. The 6.8 SPC requires less powder per round than 7.62mm and bullets are SMK's are about 75% of 7.62mm varieties when reloading costs are considered. Plus, M1A's (my 7.62mm of choice) have a whole different manual of arms.

Knowing what I know today (what has been posted above), if I were just starting out, I would probably go with 6.8 SPC and a dedicated .22LR upper for practice.
    Very thought provoking. The one thing that's kept me away from the 6.8 is the cost, however, in light of the narrowing of the gap and the fact that the "antis" will not be so generous the next go around (read more thorough), the build I've been planning may just take a new direction. Don't think I'll give up on the 5.56 though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Two words:

Bolt breakage.

Anyone got data on the parts failure of 6.8s run hard?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast