Thread: When To Choose A .308 Over 5.56?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Where are you finding 70gr TSX in 5.56? As far as I know SSA were the only ones making factory 5.56 70gr TSX commercially available and they unfortunately discontinued it. I havn't been able to find it anywhere. Ted Nugent Ammo has a .223 70gr TSX load. I have basically settled on Black Hill's special 50gr TSX 5.56 for defense since I don't necessarily need the lower velocity threshold of the 70gr either for long range engagement or because of a short barrel.

What barrier blind 7.62/.308 rounds are you guys using? How does A-max stack up?
    There are still a couple options. Asym offers it and so does Southwest Ammuniton.
    http://www.southwestammunition.com/m....aspx?id=37589

As for other barrier blind loads, the 62 gr TBBC is good inside 100yards. The exposed lead tip seems to be causing accuracy to significantly drop off beyond that.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    There are still a couple options. Asym offers it and so does Southwest Ammuniton.
    The distinction is .223 pressure vs. 5.56x45 NATO pressure. Asym manufactures a load at .223 Remington pressure and jerrysimons was specifically asking about one loaded to 5.56 pressure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    The distinction is .223 pressure vs. 5.56x45 NATO pressure. Asym manufactures a load at .223 Remington pressure and jerrysimons was specifically asking about one loaded to 5.56 pressure.
    I didn't make that distinction, but if that's the case then he will simply need to click on the link I provided.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My take on this is the following-
    CQB in a urban environment with engagement under 200 meters. No vehicle threats, wood structures and over penetration a concern then its 5.56. Supply is by foot or patrol without vehicle support.
    Open Rural areas, with large wild life (bears/ big cats) or vehicle threats. Operating with vehicles, mounted movement and supply is vehicle born then its .308.
    The 6.8 Spc is a general purpose round which falls in between that could do it all, but costs the same as .308 which is why I have focused more with my .308 SCAR then my PRI lately.
    I have 5.56/6.8/.308 semi-autos available that I own. In 2004 when I handled the XM8 and there was talk about it being chambered in 6.8 SPC i thought wow the Army is finally getting it. Nope, spent the money on the 855A1 and new barrels instead (twice the cost from my understanding) and ten years later still arguing on a M4 replacement. With that all said, if forced in a corner and had to go with only one it (XM8 in 6.8 not available) it would be a .308 SCAR.
    My 2 cents.