Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: About ready to give up on 300blk...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Meh, to each their own... From an LE perspective, shits getting worst, not better. Seems every other long gun in a bad guys hands these days is a 7.62x39. That round is no joke on the home front and I hear it sucks equally everywhere if you are on the receiving end. 5.56 has it's place and when you have an unobstructed target, just about any round will do with proper shot placement within it's effective range. However, we don't live in a perfect world and this little marble is getting smaller by the second. Point is, engagements will most likely continue to get closer with more shit in the way. 300 BLK having two to three times the ass behind it (CONUS engagement) gives a lot of pluses in my opinion. And after putting countless rounds of 5.56 vs. 300 blk through body armor, "bullet proof" glass, and countless other barriers, I've come to be a believer in the potential of this round. Ammo not quite there yet for CONUS use (nor other), but inside 200yrds I'll take it over 5.56 any day. We just need an LE/home defense round that does not over penetrate. Sure in the last class my students noted that the 150gr FMJs I was using (for class) dropped 12" at 200yrds vs. the 5.56 they were using (50 yrd zero for both), but really? It's just a different hold over. As one student noted at 200, "...that sure is wacking the hell out of the steel vs this 22 going poof!". I get the people who don't want to invest in the ammo due to current cost. The people who bash the round as not being useful either are clueless, or don't do most of their work inside 100 yards.
    Last edited by Zeus; 01-10-14 at 19:38.
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Meh, to each their own... From an LE perspective, shits getting worst, not better. Seems every other long gun in a bad guys hands these days is a 7.62x39. That round is no joke on the home front and I hear it sucks equally everywhere if you are on the receiving end. 5.56 has it's place and when you have an unobstructed target, just about any round will do with proper shot placement within it's effective range. However, we don't live in a perfect world and this little marble is getting smaller by the second. Point is, engagements will most likely continue to get closer with more shit in the way. 300 BLK having two to three times the ass behind it (CONUS engagement) gives a lot of pluses in my opinion. And after putting countless rounds of 5.56 vs. 300 blk through body armor, "bullet proof" glass, and countless other barriers, I've come to be a believer in the potential of this round. Ammo not quite there yet for CONUS use (nor other), but inside 200yrds I'll take it over 5.56 any day. We just need an LE/home defense round that does not over penetrate. Sure in the last class my students noted that the 150gr FMJs I was using (for class) dropped 12" at 200yrds vs. the 5.56 they were using (50 yrd zero for both), but really? It's just a different hold over. As one student noted at 200, "...that sure is wacking the hell out of the steel vs this 22 going poof!". I get the people who don't want to invest in the ammo due to current cost. The people who bash the round as not being useful either are clueless, or don't do most of their work inside 100 yards.

Well said, I have killed many large game with the 300blk and the 5.56, the 300blk has a good edge. I watched John Noveske kill a 350lb+ black bear with a 180gr. (reload)
    ballistic tip, super sonic of coarse. We would of never made the decision to make the shot with a 5.56. Love both rounds but for killing the 300blk has a advantage,
    especially as the barrels get shorter. I must admit I have laid my 300blk down for a 458 Socom lately however for hunting lol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My work is in two legged foes at "close" range. You bring up a good point... I've retired my 11.5" 5.56 for a 9" 300blk. Of course reloading it at $0.26 a round does not hurt my progress either. 300blk is all I'm setup for though. Like others have stated, there's not enough time in the day to do 5.56 and 9mm too. I WILL make time to reload to train with the blk though.
    Last edited by Zeus; 01-11-14 at 00:53.
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789