Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About ready to give up on 300blk...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

About ready to give up on 300blk...

i LOVE shooting 300blk sub but i'm about ready to give up on it... it is a CONSTANT struggle to find good subs at a fair price and i have yet to find any of it in bulk... its always 1-3 boxes of 20 when you are lucky enough to find some. and most of the time when you do its still at panic prices.

am i the only one in this boat?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would love to get a 300 blk. It is the exact kind of round that works good for my AO. I kinda miss my 7.62x39. I have not got into 300 yet because of the exact reason you say. I guess that is why many call it a reloaders round

Feedback Score
    Some of us have reloading kit.

300 just begs to be reloaded. With a little luck and some effort, it can be done very, very cheaply.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Some of us have reloading kit.

300 just begs to be reloaded. With a little luck and some effort, it can be done very, very cheaply.
    Any chance you could let us in on your formula for el cheapo BLK practice reloads? I'm just getting into the caliber myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Any chance you could let us in on your formula for el cheapo BLK practice reloads? I'm just getting into the caliber myself.
    My method: The tools are not cheap but I already had most of them and the additional cost for 300 AAC was maybe $300: On a Dillon 650 I have a decap die and a Dillon power trimmer, I can make 500 cases an hour from 5.56mm. These do have to be deburred and primer pocket swaged which I do on lunch break at work. I load them on the Dillon 650 again running about 500 rounds a hour with 9 grains of H110 / Win 296 and a Sierra 220 grain round nose bullet. Cost, 2/5 hour per hundred, powder, 700 rounds per pound about $4 per hundred, primers $4 per hundred, bullets, bullets, 220 grain Sierra round nose, $30 per hundred, about $15 cheaper than the 220 MKHP, about $38 per hundred not including the value of the 5.56 mm used to make the 300 brass. It is less work the next time around when I don't need to trim the brass.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 11-10-13 at 07:10.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I still pine for those 8-9" uppers, but am not optimistic about the Blackout situation improving anytime soon.

But the silver lining is that i was driven to reconsider the commie calibers. Now I have 6-7k of shooting security for peanuts compared to Blackout and a new-found appreciation for AKs.. The Yugo M92 with coned booster will compare well with the AAC/URX in a beauty contest too. (We needn't compare accuracy.)
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    The subsonic is taken care of. There are good prices on it at Walmart, and the supply and demand will eventually level out:

Supersonic UMC is being retooled to improve it. While it is a pain to wait for it to be re-released, I am pretty excited about how it is coming out. Eventually this will all be a bad dream in the past. Also it is fantastic that there is so much govt interest which will eventually ensure more production, but in the short term, they are getting first dibs and that is not helping supply.

The commitment is there - Remington released new Hog Hammer ammo:

And Barnes announced a new 120 grain black tip:

But this is not unique to 300 BLK - my friend emailed me saying that he could not find *any* 9mm, 45, or 40, and was limited to a few boxes of 223. In my state, mail order ammo is banned, so he is at the mercy of the local stores.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 11-10-13 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I've given up on it until a) I start reloading or b) it becomes more readily available at reasonable prices. In the meantime I've shelved my .300 ambitions for the time being. I love the round, just hate the circumstances that make it more trouble than what its worth right now.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I've given up on it until a) I start reloading or b) it becomes more readily available at reasonable prices. In the meantime I've shelved my .300 ambitions for the time being. I love the round, just hate the circumstances that make it more trouble than what its worth right now.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)
    Same here. I have no time for reloading right now. And I always buy ammo in bulk, just in case. So it doesn't work for me yet.

Feedback Score
    Can't see the reason to 300.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast