Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Franken gun build

Feedback Score

My Franken gun build

Hey Shooters!! Glad to be on here. I am new to the site but while I was waiting on my registration confirmation, I was creeping around and let's just say, I am looking forward to everyone's input.

So here is the story. I am not new to the AR scene. 12 years in the Marine Corps infantry will get you pretty familiar with it. However, I have never pulled the trigger on getting one because I have never been too impressed with the round. So I got an AK and that held me over. After a lot of time thinking about it, I realized that it is the Marine Corps' ammo that I do not like. I can load my own stuff to get the desired effect that I am looking for. So finally I decided to just go ahead and not just get one, but instead build one, no make that two of the exact same AR's. One for me and one for my brother-in-law. So this is what I have purchased and why I purchased them. Sorry for the lack of pictures. All these parts are waiting for me to get back from deployment. Then when I get them all and start the build I will post the pics.

PSA stripped and blemished upper- On special and couldn't pass it up
    BCM MOD 3 charging handle- Great charging handle from what I hear
    ICE arms Exo NiB BCG- Hear its good. Couldn't find anything else.
    DPMS forward assist- Cheap and good
    DPMS ejection port cover- Cheap and good
    ARES arms 80% lower- One of my guys here on ship has them for cheap for me and will help me mill it
    ARES arms LPK-Comes with the lower
    Magpul ACS-L buttstock- Love the feel of the stock
    TAPCO buffer ext kit- Figured that didn't need to be that special
    CAA UPG16 pistol grip- Love the custom fitting of the grip
    Daniel Defense 16" 1 in 7" heavy barrel- Good company with exactly what I didn't want on it. (i.e. no FSP)
    DPMS barrel nut- Good and cheap
    DPMS Panther compensator- Good looking. (Don't know how well it will work though...)
    Yankee Hill low profile gas block- Good and cheap
    Yankee Hill gas tube- Good and cheap
    Samson Evolution 15" free float hand guard- Looks great and sounds sturdy
    Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Front and Rear sights- Love the look and I trust them
    Magpul B.A.D.- Manual of arms with it is GREAT!!!!
    Magpul angle forward grip- Very comfortable forward grip for me.
    Geissele trigger- Great trigger from what I hear

The color will either be a FDE or the burnt bronze. Depending on what the color looks like when I see it in person.

The purpose of the rifle is for a good dependable general use rifle for anything that may come up. I will not be using it for my job since I am not L.E. nor will the military allow me to use my own weapon. But I am more than just a hobby shooter.

So what do you think, shooters? I am open to any and all suggestions. Even though I have purchased everything on the list already, there is nothing saying that I cannot return and/or sell to others that need it if need be. I have very thick skin so if you feel the need to criticize me I will not be offended.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. I look even more forward to building these AR's and posting pictures of the progress for all to see!!
    Last edited by Tripod; 09-30-13 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    Well for starters this probably should have been put in the Custom build section.

The parts you have purchased sound like they will put together a very cheap rifle, cost and quality. I would've opted for parts from manufacturers other than CAA, DPMS, and TAPCO but to each his own I suppose, those aren't necessarily critical parts really. You said you couldn't find a different BCG but GandR Tactical has BCM BCG's in stock right now, why not go with one of those? You did say you have a DD barrel and Geissele trigger which is good.

I have no experience with 80% lowers but personally I would shy away from them. If you complete anything out of spec you'll probably have issues. IMO a cheap in-spec stripped lower probably would be the better route.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
    USMC 2011-Present

Feedback Score
    Welcome! Looks like you have a nice build going. I am just curious as to why you chose to spend 250+ on a trigger, but skimp on some of the other parts?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    THIS ISN'T A CUSTOM BUILD TOPIC.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it starts with TAPCO.... Scrap it. No reason to have a Geissle trigger when the rest of the rifle isn't bullet proof
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    Hey Shooters!! Glad to be on here. I am new to the site but while I was waiting on my registration confirmation, I was creeping around and let's just say, I am looking forward to everyone's input.

So here is the story. I am not new to the AR scene. 12 years in the Marine Corps infantry will get you pretty familiar with it. However, I have never pulled the trigger on getting one because I have never been too impressed with the round. So I got an AK and that held me over. After a lot of time thinking about it, I realized that it is the Marine Corps' ammo that I do not like. I can load my own stuff to get the desired effect that I am looking for. So finally I decided to just go ahead and not just get one, but instead build one, no make that two of the exact same AR's. One for me and one for my brother-in-law. So this is what I have purchased and why I purchased them. Sorry for the lack of pictures. All these parts are waiting for me to get back from deployment. Then when I get them all and start the build I will post the pics.

PSA stripped and blemished upper- On special and couldn't pass it up
    BCM MOD 3 charging handle- Great charging handle from what I hear
    ICE arms Exo NiB BCG- Hear its good. Couldn't find anything else.
    DPMS forward assist- Cheap and good
    DPMS ejection port cover- Cheap and good
    ARES arms 80% lower- One of my guys here on ship has them for cheap for me and will help me mill it
    ARES arms LPK-Comes with the lower
    Magpul ACS-L buttstock- Love the feel of the stock
    TAPCO buffer ext kit- Figured that didn't need to be that special
    CAA UPG16 pistol grip- Love the custom fitting of the grip
    Daniel Defense 16" 1 in 7" heavy barrel- Good company with exactly what I didn't want on it. (i.e. no FSP)
    DPMS barrel nut- Good and cheap
    DPMS Panther compensator- Good looking. (Don't know how well it will work though...)
    Yankee Hill low profile gas block- Good and cheap
    Yankee Hill gas tube- Good and cheap
    Samson Evolution 15" free float hand guard- Looks great and sounds sturdy
    Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Front and Rear sights- Love the look and I trust them
    Magpul B.A.D.- Manual of arms with it is GREAT!!!!
    Magpul angle forward grip- Very comfortable forward grip for me.
    Geissele trigger- Great trigger from what I hear

The color will either be a FDE or the burnt bronze. Depending on what the color looks like when I see it in person.

The purpose of the rifle is for a good dependable general use rifle for anything that may come up. I will not be using it for my job since I am not L.E. nor will the military allow me to use my own weapon. But I am more than just a hobby shooter.

So what do you think, shooters? I am open to any and all suggestions. Even though I have purchased everything on the list already, there is nothing saying that I cannot return and/or sell to others that need it if need be. I have very thick skin so if you feel the need to criticize me I will not be offended.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. I look even more forward to building these AR's and posting pictures of the progress for all to see!!
    A strange mix of quality and questionable manufacturers on your list. If the standard green tip 5.56mm loads put you off from purchasing an AR all these years, cheap parts won't warm you over much neither I'm afraid. My first AR was built using cheap components, but it was a deliberate attempt to use cheap stuff initially, a proof of concept that I could actually put one together. I figured it would be better to break/ screw up cheap stuff on my initial build than it would be to destroy or damage more expensive components given my lack of experience at the time. I say if you're going to build one either go all cheap or go all out. Personally, if I were just building a plinker/ range toy I wouldn't give a crap about the quality of components. But if you plan to employ the weapon as a means of defense/ survival then I would only install parts by reputable manufacturers who stand behind their products.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 10-01-13 at 00:28.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    I apologize for not getting this thread in the right section. Can a moderator please move this thread for me? Thank you.

I don't see DPMS as cheap quality. They are a cheap price, yes, but I do have a DPMS SASS in .308 that is freakin amazing. I do trust their stuff so that is why I got some of their parts.

The only thing I got from CAA is the pistol grip which, like I said, I love fact that you can customize the grips to whatever feels comfortable in MY hand. That is the only reason I got that. If it somehow manages to fail me then I will swap it out with something else. I don't want an over mold grip. Just not a fan of putting a ribbed condom on my gun...

The only experiences I have with TAPCO are their plastic mags for my AK that came with it. Honestly the mags have never failed me so I ordered more. I just figured that this was a tube for the buffer. How special does it need to be? If anyone can tell me why I need to purchase a higher quality other that a personal opinion by all means tell me.

I have never heard of GandR Tactical until now. But with them having the BCM BCG in stock, needless to say, I am kicking myself in the ass. This is a critical part that I didn't want to skimp on. I will still try the ICE arms bolt since I got it. It is a relatively new company so at least I can give my opinion to you guys about it...? Trying to Justify it. Actually now I am tossing the idea around of picking them up from GrandR Tact and just trying the ICE then putting them in my oh shit box as a backup...

As far as the milling is concerned, I am an EXTREME perfectionist when it comes to measuring and cutting. I have been brought up by the mantra of measure thrice cut once. Take a little off, re measure. I hope it'll be a good experience for me that I am looking forward to.
    Last edited by Tripod; 10-01-13 at 03:37.

Feedback Score
    Shooters, I do greatly appreciate all your input thus far. Can you do me a favor though? Tell me what I should get rid of and what I should replace it with and why. That'll certainly help open my eyes as to the choice of my parts. Thank again, shooters.

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    Shooters, I do greatly appreciate all your input thus far. Can you do me a favor though? Tell me what I should get rid of and what I should replace it with and why. That'll certainly help open my eyes as to the choice of my parts. Thank again, shooters.
    Get rid of anything DPMS, Yankee Hill or CAA and forget the 80% lower. Go to Grant and replace the low cost junk.
    G & R Tactical
    Also, search and read on this site about putting together an AR before making questionable purchases.
    Did I mention "search and read on this site about putting together an AR"?

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Bravo Company, Vltor, GG&G, Noveske, Colt, DD, Larue, LMT, Knight's Armament and Centurion are the companies I would recommend for parts. Dump everything else. You don't want junk on a weapon that could be used to save your life and have it fail...that's a bad day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast