Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Stroking

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesty0311 View Post
    I have a problem that sounds like a "Short Stroke" but happens before the gun even goes bang.

When I load a magazine and pull the charging handle the bolt will stop half way with a round just heading into chamber. This happens with WWB Wolf and a few of the other less expensive ammunitions. Doesn't seem to happen with M855 or XM/M193 but due to cost and some ranges not wanting 855 to be shot its become a real pain in the ass. I can pull the charging handle again and it will seat the round but every 2-3 rounds during firing it happens. Any suggestions?

Mags are a mix of Steel SA80's and D&L's with magpul followers rifle has under 2k out of it. I assembled the lower myself and am wondering if anything I did could be causing it. Upper is a MSTN build and when I run good ammo it functions. I would say its the ammo but when it happens during the loading cycle I wonder if I ****ed up somewhere.
    Make sure the feed-ramps have no snags or gaps where they begin and if-so, determine if a dremel tool will blend them well. If you do not feel qualified, there are several people on this board who can probably help out.

Also, I have heard that a SLIGHT amount of leakage around the gas-tube at the FSB is normal. All of the Colts in the closet as well as my Sabre do this to a slight extent. They will run any wolf you feed them reliably. My Sabre was short-stroking every 3rd round with only 50 rounds of good ammo through it, by the 150 round mark it would feed wolf flawlessly until the end of the mag where it would not lock back the bolt. I bet in the future it will only get better.

ETA: When NOTHING ELSE fixes a short-stroke, check the gas-port in the barrel to see if the chrome-lining is obscuring it. It has happened before and I am sure it will happen again to SOMEONE out there. I file this under "wierd"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Just an FYI- the gas ring staggering myth was put to sleep quite a while ago and does nothing.

Shivan- We may have bought a home in Goodyear. We are waiting for the agent to get back to us. I am there now. Take care.
    You were supposed to let me know when you got out here. How long are you staying?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Verify that you are not running M4 lower with rifle feed-ramps. Also verify that you do not have a small gap between the beginning of the feed-ramp and the lower. In case of the latter scenario, look at it, and determine if a dremel tool will blend them well. If you do not feel qualified, there are several people on this board who can probably help out.
    Uh there are no feedramps on a lower.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Uh there are no feedramps on a lower.
    Wow...special. That was one of my LATE NIGHT posts and indeed correct you are. I'm just gonna go sneak back and edit that one...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys. I think the problem may be the cuts and am headed to the range Tuesday to run some more rounds threw her. As far and the dremel tool goes what bit should I be using, grey round stone? I cycled a mag out of here tonight trying to see where it was getting hung up and had no problems go figure.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Yes, I know. Unfortunately, I was so busy it was unreal. My sister had set me up with an agent in the area who is affiliated with GMAC where she is an agent. We looked at 13 houses and were just running around like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    You were supposed to let me know when you got out here. How long are you staying?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesty0311 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I think the problem may be the cuts and am headed to the range Tuesday to run some more rounds threw her. As far and the dremel tool goes what bit should I be using, grey round stone? I cycled a mag out of here tonight trying to see where it was getting hung up and had no problems go figure.
    I wouldnt do it yourself, find someone local who is in the know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Yes, I know. Unfortunately, I was so busy it was unreal. My sister had set me up with an agent in the area who is affiliated with GMAC where she is an agent. We looked at 13 houses and were just running around like crazy.
    Well let me know when you get back and we will hook up.

Feedback Score
    I had an AR short-stroke on me.

I (and several others) checked everything and couldn't figure it out.

Turned out it was a popped primer that got into the gas key, and was stuck all the way down where it couldn't be seen.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
    I had an AR short-stroke on me.

I (and several others) checked everything and couldn't figure it out.

Turned out it was a popped primer that got into the gas key, and was stuck all the way down where it couldn't be seen.

How did you discover it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast