Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noob needs Castle nut info

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    No it does not. You simply remove the stake and unscrew the castle nut.

What makes a castle nut nearly impossible to remove is when a manufacturer uses red loctite on them.

C4
    Yup, propane torch time...............
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    I'm considering the same question - whether I have what it takes to remove/replace the castle nut on my LMT and install something like a Magpul ASAP (without mangling anything). My castle nut is not only well-staked, it appears to have had something like solder poured or melted into it. Any experience with this?

fme
    It looks like someone re used after removal and spread the JB on it. Does'nt hurt anything but looks like ass. Buy a new end plate and castle nut.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Will using a torch damage the finish on the lower or anything? I understand you have to be careful, but how much heat is involved? Mine castle nut isn't staked and I'm wanting to put on a sling plate. Any advice on the heating process would be great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TucDnls View Post
    Will using a torch damage the finish on the lower or anything? I understand you have to be careful, but how much heat is involved? Mine castle nut isn't staked and I'm wanting to put on a sling plate. Any advice on the heating process would be great.
    Why do you need a torch? Is it JB welded like the guy's end plate in the previous post?

If the castle nut isn't staked and no locktite is involved, just give it a good tug with the proper wrench and you're good to go.

Feedback Score
    It has to be loctitie on it. I can't budge the nut. I'm trying to get it off without damaging the nut and a few people above have recommended the torch. Just wanting a little more instruction before I put heat to it. I've tried 2 different wrenches on it. The first broke (Ncstar junk) and the second wrench won't move it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Has anyone ever used this setup from ACE?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What is the proper procedure for applying locktite. Someone said do not put on ...... Can you just loosen the castlenut and put a few drops on it and retighten?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Loosen and put a drop in. I know people have mentioned red loctite as effective.
    Also, on the JB Weld, torch it, just like any other epoxy adhesive (if you wanna call JB Weld an adhesive), it doesn't take heat well and wont be an issue.

EDIT: Blue is a no go
    Last edited by orionz06; 01-18-10 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    Yup, propane torch time...............
    So I applied heat with a torch and the castle nut is still a no go. Can anyone give any other advice?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    proper wrench, vise, and vise block

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast