Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HELP! Problems with the Better-Mag 22 Adapter

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger89 View Post
    Just wanted to post a quick update. I had the rifle out to the range for another 4 mag, 100 round test this last weekend. I'm pleased to report zero malfunctions. What did I change? ...Absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure if the metal surfaces smoothed themselves out a little with use, or the kit just needed time to break in, or if the planets happened to be in perfect alignment that day, but for whatever reason, this time it ran perfect. (I'm not sure if it will continue to do so, only time will tell.) I did clean the rifle the day before the range trip (I had been letting it sit there dirty as punishment for misbehaving previously) and re-oiled everything with Mobile 1, although this time I oiled the unit, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wiped the oil off leaving just a very thin film.

Markt, I'm not sure if it will help or not, but if you have gone through all the recommendations spdldr gave me, try varying the type and amount of lubricant you use on the unit. Unfortunately that's the best advice I can give. I'm still not sure what caused my problems, or what fixed them.
    Thanks for the reply.

I've been using Mobil 1 also but still experienced the same issues. Maybe mine needs time to break in too. Interestingly enough when I contacted the Boonie Packer for help, they suggested that the cause might be a "non-standard" bolt catch and/or a "non-standard" bolt catch spring that's too strong.

Previously, I'd installed a weaker bolt catch spring from CMMG to get their BHOA setup working more reliably. So, I don't think it's the spring causing issues. That leaves the bolt catch itself which in my case is made by Stag Arms that came as part of my LPK. I've never had an issue with it before though.

Maybe I just need to shoot it more to break it in and try a bit less lube on the actuator. Seems ironic that I switched to this setup to get more reliability and am actually having less at the moment...

Feedback Score

More from Boonie Packer...

Ok, turns out that the original suggestion for a weaker bolt catch spring was incorrect.

They're now asking that I try a stronger one (my original spring) to see if the unwanted activations of the bolt catch can be alleviated.

So, I'm going to re-install my original Stag Arms bolt catch spring and see if anything changes. Here's hoping it all works out...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopro619 View Post
    used the same ammo?
    Same ammo, same lot, even out of the same box. I've been racking my brain trying to think of what was different, but I can't come up with anything... it just worked this time for some reason.

Feedback Score

Still issues after the spring swap...

Ok, I tried the stronger original Stag Arms bolt catch spring. Rather than having the bolt lock back with rounds still in the mag, it actually failed to lock back after the last shot a number of times with different mags.

I still had a number of FTE jams too, even when using the CMMG "anti-jam" charging handle.

The helpful folks at Boonie Packer made good efforts to help me get it working but I'm running out of patience and decided to return the unit back to them.

Who knows, maybe it's my Franken-gun upper-lower combo that might be incompatible with the adapter in its current iteration. YMMV.

For now, I'll stick with my CMMG BHOA setup in hopes that their new mags will work as good as the discontinued Evolution mags.

Feedback Score
    Old thread but I thought I would post this here. At around 9:45 in this video, he describes this very issue and how to mod the follower to stop it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by markt View Post
    I bought the same adapter and ran it last week for the first time.

Unfortunately, my experiences are the same as those described by the OP. The bolt hold open actuates randomly when there are rounds still in the magazine. I also experienced several FTE's as well. This happened despite me lubing the metal piece that rides in the adapter prior to use.

My issues are using the unit in an Aero Precision lower with a Stag Arms lower parts kit. My upper is BCM.

Any ideas folks? I'm trying to determine what can be done.

Cheers,

MarkT

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. Very helpful and something I'll try next time I'm out at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker45 View Post
    Old thread but I thought I would post this here. At around 9:45 in this video, he describes this very issue and how to mod the follower to stop it from happening.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234