Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Problems with the Better-Mag 22 Adapter

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Have you tried the manufacturer's suggestions above this post? You may have been typing as they responded. It sounds as if the part they refer to is stocking above the aluminum although it is minute.
    Doing the test now. Yeah, I didnt refresh the page before I responded to Lopro619.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdldr View Post
    To test this, use this procedure which can be done at home. Put the entire unit properly in the rifle according to our instructions. Then put two empty cartridge cases in your S&W .22 magazine. (for safety reasons) Lock the "loaded" magazine into the rifle normally. Have excellent lighting and possibly magnification and pull the bolt back all the way and hold it while you check to see if the Better-Mag steel catch is above the aluminum adapter block.

The top of the Better-Mag steel catch must not be above the aluminum when you do the above. If it is, something is holding it up. Possibly your rifle bolt catch has a thicker than normal "tail". This is the part that the 5.56 magazines push up when empty. Possibly something is holding up the rifle bolt catch partially. (a BAD lever contacting the upper?)
    I performed the test as described, with the only exception that instead of using empty .22LR shells (since I don't have any empty ones handy) I pulled the M&P 15-22 magazine follower down and stuck a screwdriver through the side of the mag after inserting it to hold the follower down. Performing the test this way I examined the adapter through the ejection port with the charging handle held back. The Better-Mag catch did not appear to be higher than the aluminum housing of the adapter, and I verified this by feeling with a toothpick. I cycled the gun with the charging handle multiple times, rechecking the adapter each time and the Better-Mag catch appeared to stay below the aluminum housing. I also manually actuated the bolt catch and then released it, rechecking the adapter afterward and the catch returned to its position below the top of the aluminum housing. As a note, I have not been able to induce this malfunction by manually charging the gun since the very first time I installed the adapter, and I have tried multiple times. Now it only seems to occur when firing the gun.

If I need to redo the test with empty .22LR cases instead of the way I did it for some reason please let me know.

Feedback Score

This has me stumped.

Badger,

There appears to be something about your rifle bolt catch that does not hold down the Better-Mag catch when you shoot. You might try another bolt catch from a different maker. If you don't care to do that, or it does not work, please feel free to return the Better-Mag and we will reimburse you for the unit and your return shipping cost.

I apologize for your problems and I thank you for trying so hard to make it work!
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    Disregard. Duplicate post.
    Last edited by Badger89; 08-18-13 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    Badger,

There appears to be something about your rifle bolt catch that does not hold down the Better-Mag catch when you shoot. You might try another bolt catch from a different maker. If you don't care to do that, or it does not work, please feel free to return the Better-Mag and we will reimburse you for the unit and your return shipping cost.

I apologize for your problems and I thank you for trying so hard to make it work!
    Thanks for the help. I'll give WOA a call this week and see if they can send me another bolt catch. Maybe I got a dud. Otherwise I'll see about ordering one from somewhere else. If nothing changes I'll get back to you. I'd prefer to find a solution so I have a working adapter, rather than just returning it.

Feedback Score

Bolt Catch

In my opinion it will do absolutely no good to try another bolt catch by the same maker. Instead, I strongly suggest that you get another brand.There may be a design variance in the brand that you now have that is causing the problem.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    In my opinion it will do absolutely no good to try another bolt catch by the same maker. Instead, I strongly suggest that you get another brand.There may be a design variance in the brand that you now have that is causing the problem.
    10-4. Ill see what I can find. Do you have any recommendations?

Feedback Score

Same issues with my Better-Mag adapter.

I bought the same adapter and ran it last week for the first time.

Unfortunately, my experiences are the same as those described by the OP. The bolt hold open actuates randomly when there are rounds still in the magazine. I also experienced several FTE's as well. This happened despite me lubing the metal piece that rides in the adapter prior to use.

My issues are using the unit in an Aero Precision lower with a Stag Arms lower parts kit. My upper is BCM.

Any ideas folks? I'm trying to determine what can be done.

Cheers,

MarkT

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to post a quick update. I had the rifle out to the range for another 4 mag, 100 round test this last weekend. I'm pleased to report zero malfunctions. What did I change? ...Absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure if the metal surfaces smoothed themselves out a little with use, or the kit just needed time to break in, or if the planets happened to be in perfect alignment that day, but for whatever reason, this time it ran perfect. (I'm not sure if it will continue to do so, only time will tell.) I did clean the rifle the day before the range trip (I had been letting it sit there dirty as punishment for misbehaving previously) and re-oiled everything with Mobile 1, although this time I oiled the unit, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wiped the oil off leaving just a very thin film.

Markt, I'm not sure if it will help or not, but if you have gone through all the recommendations spdldr gave me, try varying the type and amount of lubricant you use on the unit. Unfortunately that's the best advice I can give. I'm still not sure what caused my problems, or what fixed them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger89 View Post
    Just wanted to post a quick update. I had the rifle out to the range for another 4 mag, 100 round test this last weekend. I'm pleased to report zero malfunctions. What did I change? ...Absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure if the metal surfaces smoothed themselves out a little with use, or the kit just needed time to break in, or if the planets happened to be in perfect alignment that day, but for whatever reason, this time it ran perfect. (I'm not sure if it will continue to do so, only time will tell.) I did clean the rifle the day before the range trip (I had been letting it sit there dirty as punishment for misbehaving previously) and re-oiled everything with Mobile 1, although this time I oiled the unit, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wiped the oil off leaving just a very thin film.

Markt, I'm not sure if it will help or not, but if you have gone through all the recommendations spdldr gave me, try varying the type and amount of lubricant you use on the unit. Unfortunately that's the best advice I can give. I'm still not sure what caused my problems, or what fixed them.
    used the same ammo?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast