Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Junkyard" builds.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A1 stock is highly underrated.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    A1 stock is highly underrated.
    Agreed. I had a 10.5 with the A1 for a long time. Loved it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've given serious thought to SBR'ing #1 and going with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel for it, quite possibly one still sporting the standard fixed FSB because I'm apparently very slow to modernize.....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Awesome thread.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 10-30-18 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I've given serious thought to SBR'ing #1 and going with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel for it, quite possibly one still sporting the standard fixed FSB because I'm apparently very slow to modernize.....
    FSB is on all of my serious/moderately serious use guns. I've broken/had issues with too much of the high speed stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh I'm still pretty "low speed" most of the time for sure. I still frequently use ARs with fixed carry-handle uppers as "toss in the jeep for the day" guns. As a bonus the carry handle provides a convenient place to loop a cable lock through if I'm going to be away from the vehicle for a few.
    The lightweight iron-sighted stuff with collapsible stocks (The old CAR style of course) are what I most often grab for those times I want a rifle along for the ride but know I probably won't actually need one - which is pretty much every time honestly, I live in a low crime state and tend to be fairly effective at minding my own business and staying out of trouble. In terms of portability in a situation where it's very unlikely to actually be used, a 5lb 13oz Colt 6520 usually makes more sense than that Mid-length with an LPVO on it.

But on the other hand, guns #1 or #2 are currently what would get selected in a legit "Uh oh..." situation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mines was an attempt at a Geissele URG socom build but went sideways quickly.

Sbrd Colt M4a1 receiver with mk8 rail as I was broke and a 150 usd blemish rail sounds good. Upper and lower are Colt that was cerakoted green by previous owner....thick and ugly as hell but sold on fun broker for 150 for both upper and lower.
    It's on a 14.5 socom barrel and lmt stock...both hand me downs from another buddy.

Now sports a troy buis and aimpoint compm2.

Dreams sometimes end up being a rest stop

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prdubi; 01-16-19 at 09:26.
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Those are too nice. You guys need to think clunkier and uglier! J/k

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well the next installment in this saga continues. Now with more questionable decisions....

Remember ol' #2?

So uh, yeah....about that.....

It looks like like this now.

The other day I finally decided that the setup with the Steiner P4XI wasn't doing it for me. The gun shot fairly well with it but I never really loved the configuration. It was always kind of an ad hoc wannabe-DMR. I tried to like it, as with the LPVO it was arguably my most capable AR, and I was thus constantly trying to convince myself to be more fond of it than I was. But the reality is that once I put the Steiner on it, it rapidly became one of my least favorite ARs to shoot. It became, to me, heavy and clunky, and while capable of accurate shooting never really seemed accurate enough for the role I had foisted upon it.
    So we are back to irons, and I'm sheepishly admitting that I vastly prefer this gun now to the way that it was. I realize that I just actually went backwards in terms of capability.
    The gun is running lean now, no optics or lights, although I do have a mounting point to attach a light if need be. I have a cheap 900 lumen Primary Arms weapon light I can stick on there if the need were to arise. I tested that light on this gun back when I still had the scope on it and POI exhibited either minimal or no shift.

But I already have a couple of dedicated light-wearing ARs more suited for HD and "after dark" problems anyway.

I already know the gun is reliable as it's been shot quite a bit so the next order of business was to get it zeroed with the carry handle.
    The first 11 shots covered by pasties are from me dialing the sights in. Then the ten holes are the last two groups which led me to rule it zeroed (it's possible it might need like one more click right but now we are in to margin of error territory). Ten shots, under 3", with irons and xm193 at 100 yards is pretty good for my bad eyes so I'll take it.

I just like the gun a lot more now. If I could change one thing about it I think I'd want a lightweight barrel on it instead of the government profile.
    While this gun isn't my "favorite" AR, it arguably would be my pick in a hypothetical "if I could only have one" scenario. Although in that situation I would probably go back to the pre-LPVO configuration with an Aimpoint instead of running irons. I'm not crazy about the weight up front with the gov't barrel, (and this would get worse with a light mounted, particularly that pig of a Primary Arms light) but it's not too bad, it's not quite short or light enough to be an ideal HD gun but it's also not too long or heavy to fill that role, and while its accuracy in a psuedo-DMR role was merely "OK", it's accuracy as a general purpose rifle is quite acceptable.

Eventually I'll build a gun more suited for use with the Steiner as well.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-29-19 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I approve of your most recent changes to #02. Not that you needed approval from anybody let alone myself, but you got a big thumbs up from yours truly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast