I have been doing some thinking and I believe I want to get some parts of my Colt 6720 dipped in Multicam.

The parts I am considering getting dipped are: Lower and upper receiver, Centurion 14" CMR rail, BCM pistol grip, and VLTOR IMod stock.

I was looking at some companies that are pretty well known for dipping firearms like WWGuns, and Tactical Machining, but I seem to have found a pretty good local company here in Northern VA called Virginia Hydro Designs located in Winchester, VA. http://virginiahydrodesigns.com/ If I can, I would like to support local businesses and I don't have to worry about shipping. After calling them today to discussing what I want done and some specific questions i had, I was informed it would cost me around $225 for what I want dipped.

Now before I take the dive on actually doing this I want to get some input from some more experienced people on this forum that know about hydro dipping firearms, specifically AR15's.

Is hydro dipping an AR really ok to do? Is it ok if some of the paint gets inside the Lower and upper Receiver? I just don't see how you can completely prevent the inside of the receivers from getting the paint inside them. Is it possible that the dipping would effect the function of the rifle, create malfunctions etc.? If anyone that has a firearm dipped or has experience in this topic at all, please share your knowledge. I absolutely LOVE my 6720 and I don't want to do something to it that would prevent it from running the way she does now.

I told Virginia Hydro Designs that I would completely strip down my receivers before having them dipped because I don't want everything dipped. I would like to keep the take down pins, forward assist, safety selector etc. the way they are. I would probably have Robb at VA. Arms strip my rifle down since I do not have the tools right now to do the job.

Virginia Hydro Designs informed me that they usually dip the upper and lower receiver together and plug up any openings to prevent the inside of the receivers from getting painted. I have no idea how they would "plug" up all the holes of a stripped upper and lower. But I guess they have a way. I'm not worried about my other pieces getting dipped. I'm just concerned about the receivers and having the gun run reliably after being dipped.

So if you have any knowledge you can share on this topic I would really appreciate it! I want to make sure I make the best decision and this is completely ok for my Colt before I take the dive.

Thanks!