Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference in Accuracy Consistency Between Free Float vs. Non-FF???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Difference in Accuracy Consistency Between Free Float vs. Non-FF???

What impact does a free float design vs. non-FF design rail make on an AR??? I've seen both, but noticed Free-Floats are much more expensive. What are the benefits? Worth the added expense???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This seems like a dumb response on my part, but free floats do not touch the barrel. They attach at the delta ring, the others are usually drop in replacements to the standard hand guards you currently have. When you go to mount VFG's and the like, you're adding stress to the barrel. Any added stress/torque to the barrel will pull your shots.
    Last edited by Vendetta; 07-20-09 at 06:12.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It certainly will effect accuracy as pressure put in the forend will move the barrel. David Spaulding did a write up in one of the magazines about his accuracy tests. I remember that he found a difference but don't remember the details. I will see if I can find the article
    Last edited by davidk; 07-19-09 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    putting pressure on the barrel moves the barrel, and a moved barrel doesnt put rounds in the same place.

Feedback Score
    Consistency of accuracy is what a free float provides for our purposes. Not that a non-free float weapon can't provide it under match grade conditions, such as glass bedding added to a match grade M1A, M-1, or precision .22, to perfectly mate the barrel to the stock, to minimize barrel movement to provide that consistent accuracy. If you don't compete or have the skills to take advantage of it, most folks will never notice the difference.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My opinion is that for a carbine's intended purpose of short range use, a non-free floating unit is entirely adequate and even desirable under field conditions. The Knight's Armament M-4 Rail Adapter System is one often used.

But...there are those who want free floating rails to squeeze all the accuracy out of the carbine that is possible. The big question is: What will your carbine be used for? If it is short range use, then either type of rail system will suffice. It really is a personal decision that depends on one's willingness to part with his cash. There are a lot of quality rails available.

Feedback Score
    I am by no means a great shooter but I used to shoot dcm matches and heard a lot of great knowledge from the great shooters I came across. As someone already said, in the case of a carbine which may be used for shorter distances it may not make a noticable difference. Also, the difference is not gonna be like cutting your group sizes in half. It is more subtle than that. And if you don't have the skill of a match shooter you may not notice the little bit more accuracy it will give you. It is one of those things that will squeeze just a little more accuracy out of a rifle. But read on to see why I think it WILL help (in combat only for the average shooter).

Accurate shooting is made up of 3 basic things the way I see it. 1)Accurate rifles and good equipment such as a shooting coat, sight blackener, etc, 2)Accurate ammo, 3)Consistency in technique (always holding the rifle the same way, using the same sight picture, etc, etc, etc). When you add up all those things, wether it is better technique or better hardware, the sum of all those things make a big difference in accuracy. A free floating barrel is a piece of hardware that isolates the barrel from the handguard. This helps prevent a change in your sight picture from shot to shot depending on how hard you pull on the sling or push or pull the handguard. By itself it is not a big accuracy improver for the average shooter in a match situation.

The way I do see it helping is because in a combat situation, many of the things you would be able to do as a match shooter (technique-wise) cannot be done. So, in combat where your stress level is up and you might hold the handguard differently from shot to shot, or pull on the sling attached to the handguard differently from shot to shot, a free floating barrel might be one of the few practical things you can use to improve your accuracy slightly. In the above combat situation an average shooter might get a lot more benefit from a free floating barrel than he would in a match situation. The reason is because in the stress of combat, technique is almost completely thrown out the window, while in a match you are watching your technique.

But how often will you find yourself in a combat situation? I would say the added expense is probbaly not justifiable for the majority of shooters. Now if you are the type of guy that has to have every great feature they can get, and can afford it, then knowing you have a free floating barrel would probably make you happy.
    Last edited by Redline; 07-19-09 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    I noticed a huge difference going from a non free float rail system to a FF rail system on my gun.

Before i installed my Larue rail i was gettin about 4 MOA groups at 100yds, sometimes more (using an eotech). After installing the Larue rail ill get as good as 1.5MOA and average about 2-3.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    FF makes a big difference in precision and reduces or eliminates POI shift when shooting from support, loading bipods, or using a sling-assisted position.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Mt Goodtimes, I didn't think it would make such a huge difference. You didn't happen to drop an accuwedge in there, or change ammo type, or both at the same time you added the rail did you? If you just did the rail then that is huge. Sign me up. Do you have a link to some of these rail mfgs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast