Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus opinions

Feedback Score
    I've never has a problem with either of the two Taurus guns I've owned and thats after shooting thousands of rounds through both. That's WAAAAAAAY more than I can say for my $1200 Dan Wesson 1911 either before or after customer service took a look at it.

The moral of the story? More money doesn't always buy you a better gun. If stainless is a big deal look at the STI Spartan and RIA Tactical in 9mm as well.

Feedback Score
    Only for range use.

Feedback Score
    Only for range use.
    I've never understood someone recommending a gun they don't even own strictly for range use. Guns are individuals and they either work or they don't on the individual level. If someone out there could actually know if an individual gun is reliable enough to trust someones life to strictly by knowing the brand of it they would be freaking amazing.

Feedback Score
    This is just my personal opinion and we all know what can be said about opinions...I will NEVER carry a Taurus as my CCW. Carrying a Taurus is tantamount to . I owned 2 prior and both were functionally problematic so in the slim to no chance I were ever tempted to purchase another Taurus firearm, it would be for range use only.

Better?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have owned 3 Taurus pistols. 2 were Pt92s both of which were given to me. The other a Model 85 revolver.

The 1st PT92 was a stainless version that was great. it was very accurate and smooth shooting. I have no issues with it what so ever.

The 2nd pt 92 was junk. It was a black model. I was shooting it one day and the mag release button fell out and so did my magazine and all the ammo. I never did find the mag release and parts for a Taurus, and mags for that matter, are hard to fine around here. I sen tit to Taurus and they did fix it fee of charge. I got it back and after about 250 rds started having failures to eject. I tried all 3 mags that i had at the time and had same issue with all. I replaced the extractor still did not work so I sold it to a gunsmith friend and he never got it to work either even after changing out all internals.

The 3rd was a used Model 85 revolver i bought to help a friend out for $75. It was horrible. The trigger was the worst i ever used. And the timing or something was off because when i would pull the trigger in DA sometimes the cylinder would not even move other times it would completely skip over a chamber. Finally i ended up throwing it over the hill because it was just not worth fixing
    \
    I will never own anything else from Taurus. I would advise anyone ot stay away. There are much better guns out there for the same $$ or a little more.
    OIF 2003-2004
    Deputy Sheriff/Private Investigator

Feedback Score
    My two examples of Taurus firearms are both revolvers.

One is an old .38spc my dad bought from the Sheriff's offfice that we both work for when they transitoned to Glocks. It's gone bang everytime we've shot it with the exception of a couple of bad primers. Has the worst DA trigger that I've ever experienced on a revolver.

When I first got into CC'ing I bought a Tauras 805 in .357mag. I bought it because it was cheaper than the similar S&W J-frame(and now I know why). One day I left the gun in my truck over the weekend during the winter and we had a hard freeze that weekend. A few months later me and my buddy went to the range and the gun had completely locked up. I couldn't pull the trigger, cock the hammer or open the cylinder and I had been carrying it as a defensive weapon! I got home and blasted it with some WD-40 and eventully got it un****ed. Shortly after that I traded it for a S&W M&P340 and couldn't be happier.

Now, I've put my two J-frames and my two carry Glocks through the same "hard freeze torture test" (I live in NE FL so it's not like we have harsh weather here )and they've gone bang everytime since then. I have no use for a weapon that can't be stored in a vehicle for a few days and not function.

My opinion, pass on the Tore Ass. YMMV...
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Why the hell do people keep posting this in the Semi-Auto pistol forum, and not the 1911 forum?

It's like the third time this week. They're RIGHT NEXT to eachother.

Anyway. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Save up for a Colt or Springfield.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    The only Taurus that I have personally owned was a Model 85 Revolver that I took on a trade. I didn't have any personal complaints with it and it was a really accurate little piece. A few of my buddies here at work have various Taurus firearms and none of them have had issues yet although they really are the epitomy of recreational shooter and maybe run 50 rounds a month outside of work through their guns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by China boy View Post
    I posted on another site that while shopping online for a 9mm 1911 I ran across the Taurus PT1911 in Stainless Steel. The gun just looks sweet to me especially for the price. It seems people either love or hate Taurus. Anyone have any opinions on this gun or Taurus in general. Thanks for replies!
    Looks have nothing to do with 1911s and should have no bearing on your purchase as a primary consideration. A search here on the Taurus 1911 and Taurus in general would have saved you the post here.

If the gun is to be a range plinker only, up to you if you wanna take your chances. If there's any intention for it to be CCW, duty, etc where you're life may be on the line, Taurus = not GTG.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    From my limited experience in owning Taurus guns and seeing others deal with Taurus guns they bought...here is my take.

I will never buy their products again. For a few hundred more...there are much better choices or better used choices for the same price of a new Taurus firearm.

The QC at Taurus is very hit and miss and their build quality seemed very lacking.

The only decent Taurus gun I have seen is their copy of the 92 Beretta. Mine held up very well but everything else I have seen or dealt with from Taurus ranged from "wow...that is really flimsy" to "what the hell were they thinking?"

So yeah....the general consensus is to steer away from all things Taurus. Buy a police trade Glock or SIG instead of the new Taurus and you will probably have much less headaches.

-brickboy240

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast