Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield MC Operator hammer issues

Feedback Score

Springfield MC Operator hammer issues

I recently purchased a Springfield MC Operator, new, and have approx 400 rounds through it at this point. I have noticed that it feels as though the hammer is dragging on the bottom of the slide when eased forward. Also seems to be apparent that there isn't uniform contact on the hammer from striking the firing pin. The downward slope behind the extractor also has VERY rough machining. You can see on the right side of the hammer that it shows more wear, therefore making me think that it is leaning to the left a bit.

So, issue or non-issue? I'm debating if I should send it back or not. I'm a Glock guy so forgive my lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by catatonic; 03-11-13 at 23:59.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Do you feel anything else out of place besides it dragging? I would put some more rounds through it and look for any excessive wear and malfunctions. If none you should be good to go. If you don't feel comfortable I would send it to Springfield and have them take a look. Don't take my word for it though, someone on here with more experience should be of a little more help.
    Last edited by Endur; 03-12-13 at 03:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    .... I have noticed that it feels as though the hammer is dragging on the bottom of the slide when eased forward. ....
    The hammer is supposed to drag on the bottom of the slide. The hammer would not cock if it didn't. The slide goes to the rear and pushes the hammer past the point of cocking it ("overcocks" the hammer) and then the nose of the hammer rides the disconnector rail as it moves forward again. As the slide moves forward of the hammer, the hammer hooks engage the sear and it stays cocked.

Uneven wear on the nose of the hammer isn't unusual on a production gun. The hammer may be uneven, the pin hole(s) may not be square, the firing pin stop may be uneven, etc.

Feedback Score

Re: Springfield MC Operator hammer issues

Awesome, thank you for the response. I really need to learn more about the 1911 since this is my first experience with it. I was more concerned after reading a few other forums that Google pointed me to... the consensus there was that hammer should not contact the slide after it is to the rear and either the frame was out of spec or the hammer was improperly fitted... The wear doesn't bother me, it was more that after reading those gems I believed it was linked to a bigger underlying issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unrelated to your concern/question, but have you been dropping the hammer with the slide removed? Looks like some peening on the frame; if so, don't do that.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    Unrelated to your concern/question, but have you been dropping the hammer with the slide removed? Looks like some peening on the frame; if so, don't do that.
    I was wondering the same thing...

Feedback Score

Yea it had been fired with the slide off once, by my wife . It looks worse then it is because that area is very rough cut for some reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the response. I really need to learn more about the 1911 since this is my first experience with it. I was more concerned after reading a few other forums that Google pointed me to... the consensus there was that hammer should not contact the slide after it is to the rear and either the frame was out of spec or the hammer was improperly fitted... The wear doesn't bother me, it was more that after reading those gems I believed it was linked to a bigger underlying issue.

At least you have identified some forums where people have NO idea what they're talking about.

Feedback Score

But but but, I read it on the internet

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    wives man wtf
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast